Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LQ9 VVT info what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 VVT info what do you think?

Well i bought a complete LQ9 6.0 and what was supposed to be 4L65E trans pulled from an 07 silverado hd with 7K miles for a great price, only thing i didnt get was the brain and fly by wire setup. After doing some research the trans turned out to be a 6L90E and the motor is a flexfuel version with VVT.
Long story short i originally was going to put it in my 72 c10 shortbed but i now decided to build a long travel rail and want to run the 6.0 in it. I called turnkey engine supply and they say i need an ls2 intake and injecters to make it work and get rid of the flexfuel setup and then said it wont work because it is a VVT motor.
So can i get rid of the VVT or does anyone make a standalone setup to make this work, scrap it and look for something else, any ideas. thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 03:45 AM
Teching In

after a few hours on this site i have come to the conclusion that my motor is an ly6 with L92 heads and a 6l90e trans. I guess for once i got a better deal than what i thought i was buying, an lq9 with a 4l65e trans.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sobayshortbed
I called turnkey engine supply and they say i need an ls2 intake and injecters to make it work and get rid of the flexfuel setup and then said it wont work because it is a VVT motor.
Nothing they said is correct. LS2 intake will not work with L92 heads. On the new engines, flex fuel is nothing more than bigger injectors. The PCM handles the ignition timing automatically. I like VVT but you may not find it beneficial in your application.

Get a computer, TB and pedal and then get a sponsor to modify a stock harness for stand-alone operation.

Originally Posted by sobayshortbed
My motor is an ly6 with L92 heads and a 6l90e trans.
This is correct, its a stout engine and transmission.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Teching In

In their defense i did tell them it was an LQ9 which i was told it was. After looking around, i found out what it really is. Im thinking the vvt will be nice with the added bottom end torque and the top end HP. I do thank you for the input.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You scored man. The 6L90 is exponentially better than the 4L60 and variants and worth a LOT more $$$. The L76 ( I think thats what you got but it might be an LY6 ) is also a BIG step up on the LQ9. Better heads, Better rods and rod bolts, VVT, etc etc.

Much more hp potential with less efforts or $$ than modding the LQ9

Well done.

As for keeping the VVT? For sure imo its great stuff

Quick Reply: LQ9 VVT info what do you think?