Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil priming new crate ls3 engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil priming new crate ls3 engine

Is it this tool compatible with new crate ls3 engine for priming with oil prior to first starting? I dont want to crank it before full priming.

http://store.gmperformanceparts.com/...-12368084--%3E
Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just pull the fuel pump fuses, spark plugs and coil pack connectors and spin the engine for 5 seconds about 4 times. primed.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by usafws6
just pull the fuel pump fuses, spark plugs and coil pack connectors and spin the engine for 5 seconds about 4 times. primed.
this is from manual. but how pump suck oil if not primed with oil? rod bearings is without oil? something miss here?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There won't be much load if you pull the plugs. If it's freshly assembled, it'll have lube on all of the bearings, which should suffice until the oil pressure builds up.. and the georotor pump WILL suck oil even when it's completely dry.. It doesn't have to be "primed," per se. If you REALLY wanted to prime it, I guess you could drill/tap the blockoff plate above the oil filter, and use a pressure brake bleeder full of oil to prime the pump... I have always just pulled the plugs, disabled the fuel circuit, and spun the motor until I saw oil pressure. Works fine.

edit: Or hook it to the oil pressure sending unit hole.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
There won't be much load if you pull the plugs. If it's freshly assembled, it'll have lube on all of the bearings, which should suffice until the oil pressure builds up.. and the georotor pump WILL suck oil even when it's completely dry.. It doesn't have to be "primed," per se. If you REALLY wanted to prime it, I guess you could drill/tap the blockoff plate above the oil filter, and use a pressure brake bleeder full of oil to prime the pump... I have always just pulled the plugs, disabled the fuel circuit, and spun the motor until I saw oil pressure. Works fine.

edit: Or hook it to the oil pressure sending unit hole.

so basically what i just said. lol
Old 05-30-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usafws6
so basically what i just said. lol
thats what I always do too. I'm paranoid though and did it till I saw 30-40 PSI, 3-4 times in a row. As much stuff as I've blown up in days gone buy, I treat every one like the slightest oversight is gonna bring a meltdown.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

I tried to get oil pressure on my new LS3 with the plugs out on the starter motor. Tried several long cranks but no sign off pressure. I fired it up anyway and pressure came up instantly. Looking back I wonder whether you are better off just firng the motor up. When I was cranking it with no pressure it cant have been doing the bearings much good, even with the plugs out.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Deano1712
I tried to get oil pressure on my new LS3 with the plugs out on the starter motor. Tried several long cranks but no sign off pressure. I fired it up anyway and pressure came up instantly. Looking back I wonder whether you are better off just firng the motor up. When I was cranking it with no pressure it cant have been doing the bearings much good, even with the plugs out.
i agree with this.

ive always packed the pump with vasaline before starting. of course, these were new motors with plenty of assembly lube on all the bearings. i could never get any oil pressure just cranking it.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Same here.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Newer computers will not register oil pressure until the engine is running, you can however check your pressure with a mechanical gauge if feel the need.

Last edited by G Engines; 05-30-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

They way I do it at the shop is I use a manual guage in the oil pressure sender port, then mount the starter and spin it with a battery. I also leave the plug out. I see about 5-9 psi then when I fire it the pressure is there.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Usaually if it is applicable I take the line coming from the pump off and fill it with oil then I turn the motor over by hand backwards a couple of turns. That primes the pump and gets rid of any air in that part of the line. Then hook it all up and crank a few times with the the plugs out and it is always good to go.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

I read a post where someone put about 19 quarts of oil and spun the carnk until he saw pressure. He then drained it and put the right amount of oil in the motor and then cranked it and worked just fine. I kind of like this idea since you know that 19 quarts will fill every freaking crack. You also know that the oil pump will be primed and no air will be in the system.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 601 Likes on 477 Posts

Why would anyone buy a new engine and cheap out and spin the motor until you built up pressure. Doesn't make sense. Even if some people "get away with it" . Get a large size PVC 12" or 18" pc long and cap both ends Put a fuel cell fitting for the supply and put a schrader valve. I wish I went this route instead of buying the Engine Quest primer, that's basically a small LP tank.

I've seen a few people use a old fire extinguisher too. Same principle.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

or you can do this.. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ine-stand.html
Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

You do realize that there is nothing to keep gravity from pulling all the oil from the system every-time you shut the engine off?

Depending on how long it sits between starts, you are basically "priming" the oil system every time you start the car, and absolutely doing it, every time you change the oil.....
Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad this isn't my money that's being spent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOYLl...layer_embedded
Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

same thing happened to me on an lsx 440. Make sure everything is sealed up, pick-up o-ring on good, and barbell in. Fire it up.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

LS3 engine dont have any access to oil pump shaft for spinning it with drill?
OK, if I pump oil via oil pressure sender above oil filter, is it possible to view comming oil via oil filling cap on top of engine?
Something like this scenario:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...installed.html
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not really because the oil pump would need to pump it back up into the rocker arms.... No one on here primes their oil system like that just do what we all do which is pull the fuel lines/plugs/coil packs and turn the key for 5 seconds a few times. I just did this on my new ls6 and it worked great

Quick Reply: oil priming new crate ls3 engine