Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

White smoke from exhaust w/ miss

Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke from exhaust w/ miss

Cranked my car for the first time in a month. Noticed a little white smoke from the exhaust when I gassed it a little. Parked the car for an hour, drove the car again. Sat at a red light for five minutes. The car started a big miss and white smoke boiling from exhaust at idle. WHAT'S UP?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

White smoke is normally water getting into the combustion chamber one way or another. At first thought, im thinking it may be a blown head gasket. or a start of one anyway. But on the other hand you stated that the car has been sitting for a month. It may be condensation in your gas tank which would cause the rough idle.

First off check your coolant and oil for discoloration due to both fluids mixing due to a blown head gasket.

If not i would use a can seafoam in your gas tank (it will help remove most of the moisture), and fill it up. drive it around for a while, see if the symptoms get better. i would give it until you are down to quater tank then fill up with gas again. Or drop the tank and clean it out. change your fuel filter.

If that doesnt help, get your car compression tested for possible blown head gasket.

Just a few ideas. im no master mechanic but these simple things could be the cure for the problem. hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

thanks 808z28camaro, In the morning, I'm going to pull the plugs to make sure all is well in that department. I checked dipstick. All looks well there. A blown head gasket would be a blessing in that I want to add link bar Morels anyway. A broken ring or, worse, a shot piston would ruin a great weekend.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read the plugs and perform a leakdown test. That will tell you exactly whats going on.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Pulled #7 plug. It is black, smells like gas, and is burnt off where the metal part turns 90 degrees.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White smoke from exhaust w/ miss