Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Largest cam on an LS2 w/ported LS3 heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
If you want LS3 heads, you can easily sell your 243s to someone with an LS1 and recoup some of the cost.

I really think you need to slow down and think about what you're doing though. Sounds like you're just wanting huge dick-waving dyno numbers. That's the WRONG way to go about modding your car.

My $0.02.
Hahaha i appreciate the responses. I'm all over the place b/c there are a ton of different routes to take and they'll all get me to what I'm after, at the end of the day, more go to match the better handling I have in the car now w/the KWs. And, when feeling the need, a trip to the dragstrip (aka a weekend warrior).

As far as the LS3 heads go - maybe my post was a bit unclear, I was looking to find the "largest" cam possible so I didn't exceed the size and I could rule out a few different cam choices I was thinking about. The car has 243s stock, which is a good base to build on. I'm going to be doing the work myself most likely so I'd like to not have to pull the heads off twice or get into the bottom end just yet (aka flycutting pistons etc).

I'd like 500rwhp as a base....The car will probably hit the dyno only when it's being tuned, Im not out to out dyno other cars or get bragging rights for the highest hp...if I wanted that, I go TT, forge & stroke it and be done w/1000+ at the wheel....I'd rather something I can drive on the streets though. I will do some more digging on this forum before I start asking what should/can I do to get 500rwhp out of an LS2. I know it's fairly easy w/a good tuner, good cam, and an intake w/out getting a new set of heads....again, thanks for all your inputs, this forum is awesome!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah...I think I understand you now, but you can't compare "biggest" you can go without first deciding which way you want to go with the heads. The 243s and LS3 heads are just completely different animals.

I had a stock LS2 bottom end with 243s and a SS-HT cam (228/232 .612/.600 111), and ran that combo for 25,000 miles. Awesome. No dick waving dyno numbers, but I stomped the living **** out of almost everything I faced without a power adder.

I then had valvetrain failure, and decided to just install LS3 heads. I had people here telling me I was a moron...that I would have to fly cut the pistons...and that it would be a dog. Bullshit. I had plenty of PTV clearance, and ran that combination for 40,000+ miles. At that time I was putting down 435/405 (I think), and it was just as easy to drive as stock.

Lost a lifter about 5,000 miles ago, and installed a bigger cam...STILL had plenty of PTV clearance. A lot more power, but never have dynod her with this setup, and probably won't get to. At 120,000 miles of being spun up to redline every day, I think I've lost compression in a cylinder. Hopefully, everything else is still good, and I'll have the short block rebuilt this winter and running the same combo next year. She's a beast and a pleasure to drive.

Good luck on the 500 all motor in a GTO. That's a tall order. At least you got the right intake. I just installed my SVEDE with the new cam...the HP Tuners logs don't lie. That's the GTO intake to have.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Ah...I think I understand you now, but you can't compare "biggest" you can go without first deciding which way you want to go with the heads. The 243s and LS3 heads are just completely different animals.

I had a stock LS2 bottom end with 243s and a SS-HT cam (228/232 .612/.600 111), and ran that combo for 25,000 miles. Awesome. No dick waving dyno numbers, but I stomped the living **** out of almost everything I faced without a power adder.

I then had valvetrain failure, and decided to just install LS3 heads. I had people here telling me I was a moron...that I would have to fly cut the pistons...and that it would be a dog. Bullshit. I had plenty of PTV clearance, and ran that combination for 40,000+ miles. At that time I was putting down 435/405 (I think), and it was just as easy to drive as stock.

Lost a lifter about 5,000 miles ago, and installed a bigger cam...STILL had plenty of PTV clearance. A lot more power, but never have dynod her with this setup, and probably won't get to. At 120,000 miles of being spun up to redline every day, I think I've lost compression in a cylinder. Hopefully, everything else is still good, and I'll have the short block rebuilt this winter and running the same combo next year. She's a beast and a pleasure to drive.

Good luck on the 500 all motor in a GTO. That's a tall order. At least you got the right intake. I just installed my SVEDE with the new cam...the HP Tuners logs don't lie. That's the GTO intake to have.
Exactly ... svede is the way to go and I dont want to lose it w/a supercharger/procharger/turbo...and I love the sound of a cammed N/A v8. I'm still up inthe air about aftermarket heads (AFR 205s) or just do what I can w/the 243s...some more thinking is in order but thanks for your input, atleast i know it is possible to run LS3 heads and not worry too much about PTV clearance issues if I decide to go that route
Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Launching!

If you leave them un-cut yea you will have more margin for PVT. If you cut them to recover some of your compression then watch it!
500rwhp as a base? Honestly picking a random high single digit number on a dynamic curve is just for bragging purposes.

You will be beat by people who built their cars to have the maximum torque under the curve, not some peaky number (and fat chance you'll do it with ported 243's or LS3's on a 6.0).

Have your cam grinder figure out what would produce the most torque under your operating rpm range. Tune it and it will make what it makes, enjoy a balanced combination.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by briancb1
If you leave them un-cut yea you will have more margin for PVT. If you cut them to recover some of your compression then watch it!
500rwhp as a base? Honestly picking a random high single digit number on a dynamic curve is just for bragging purposes.

You will be beat by people who built their cars to have the maximum torque under the curve, not some peaky number (and fat chance you'll do it with ported 243's or LS3's on a 6.0).

Have your cam grinder figure out what would produce the most torque under your operating rpm range. Tune it and it will make what it makes, enjoy a balanced combination.
Point well taken....I am looking into AFR mongoose heads (205s) as an alternative - pricy but well worth it from what I hear - a UDP, Fast 102, TB, & roller rockers & a custom cam (not sure what grind but I know i'll need to do more research on it) will get me 500rwhp & 450 rwtq anyway, if not more (with the right tune). I have seen 502rwhp LS2 w/stock 243s (link: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...s-503rwhp.html) So, with an occcassional 100shot, it should put me well above the annoying evos & wrxs running around here lol. When it blows the bottom end i'll forge it and go with with a bigger nos shot & call it a day.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good. Just tell me this isn't your DD. :-)
Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Sounds good. Just tell me this isn't your DD. :-)
No way. This is now solely the weekend toy. BUT it's decided. I spoke to Bret Bauer and he's going to port my 243s, put in his valvetrain and make a custom cam for me as well as assist w/the install of all that stuff. I'm told the LS1s he had w/his cam set up were putting down high 400s so I'm hopeful that w/a Fast 102 & TB i'll be at 500 rwhp and mid 400s for rwtq. If not, i can go w/a 150 shot im told and not have any issues. That will more than make up for my sub-500 rwhp mark and give the Goat the kick in the *** it needs right now...Haha
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Bret ports them to Joey's specs you will have something very very special. I know Bret won't be sending you some huge donkey dick/hate driveing my car cam. He will send you one that works though. I ran a Bauer cam for a long time in my 403---the Justin Timberlake Cam. Worked great! Tell Bret Kevin says hey!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by paintballcars
No way. This is now solely the weekend toy. BUT it's decided. I spoke to Bret Bauer and he's going to port my 243s, put in his valvetrain and make a custom cam for me as well as assist w/the install of all that stuff. I'm told the LS1s he had w/his cam set up were putting down high 400s so I'm hopeful that w/a Fast 102 & TB i'll be at 500 rwhp and mid 400s for rwtq. If not, i can go w/a 150 shot im told and not have any issues. That will more than make up for my sub-500 rwhp mark and give the Goat the kick in the *** it needs right now...Haha
High 400's on a stock cube ls1?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Midnite Magic
High 400's on a stock cube ls1?
Stock cube with ported 243s & a 230/230 cam....I believe it also had a Fast 92 & 92mm TB

Quick Reply: Largest cam on an LS2 w/ported LS3 heads