Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Can I put an ls2 rotating assembly in an ly6 block?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bpatrol
100 percent reliability doesnt exist in motors. you always balance the benefit with the risk. I do not have a source but i recall seeing motors bored to this. do search with lq4's the blocks are the same and have been around longer and should yield you some answers. also you could just go .030 over too right?.
and you could mill to achieve the same compression ratio.
good luck
bpatrol
I could go .030 over, but then I'd have to get .030 over pistons, instead of stock ls2 pistons, which are much much cheaper. which is the point here, make power, reliably, don't spend money. break the trifecta rule. I like breaking rules.
Old 10-04-2011 | 06:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The LY6 is an iron block and easily capable of an .065 bore & hone. When people can get there hands on LY6 blocks they are sometimes used to build 416 strokers, take a look. Find a good shop that is local to you that has experience with these engines. The LS2 piston will not yield 10.9:1 compression with L92 heads. If you want maximum performance AND reliability on a budget I would recommend an bored & honed block using torque plates, new piston rings, new bearings, and upgraded rod bolts. Using stock pistons is fine and obviously more economical and they're very durable IF you're paying attention. My objection to LS2 internals come from the fact that you will most likely be unable to use them in the block if you hone the block. You need to hone the block for rings to seal. Do people swap them? Yes, but it's not ideal from a performance or reliability standpoint. I wanted to do the same thing but when you measure the bore then account for the couple thou needed to clean the bore up you end up with excessive piston to cylinder wall clearance.
Old 10-04-2011 | 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry mai Kris! I need to get my head out of my *** I keep confusing this ly6 with the l76.

Yes it is iron BUT boring it to 4.065 will need to be worked on by a shop knowing what they are doing of course. Contact AES they do these alot and they can also get you your stock parts that you need.
Old 10-04-2011 | 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by litle88
Sorry mai Kris! I need to get my head out of my *** I keep confusing this ly6 with the l76.

Yes it is iron BUT boring it to 4.065 will need to be worked on by a shop knowing what they are doing of course. Contact AES they do these alot and they can also get you your stock parts that you need.
Would I sacrifice reliability for that? I don't really sacrifice any by using ls2 ****, and I don't want to flush peace of mind for an extra .2L of displacement.

also, know of any shops in Al, maybe around Birmingham, that would be competent enough to do this? most of the shops in Montgomery tend to be really old school sbc guys, so I'm not 100% on whether they could do it properly. There's not a whole lot of money down here, so there isn't much market for fast motors, and therefore no real speed shops to speak of

Quick Reply: Can I put an ls2 rotating assembly in an ly6 block?