Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

TF 235 PatG Cam vs AFR 230 Mamo Cam ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea my LPE Ls3 heads were pretty much spot on as well. Just trying to see some work before my brother sends his out you know?

It's like believing a used car salesman that tells you grandma owned but it was really driven by her 18yr old grandson lol!
My brother and myself just want to see some of the work that's performed on the intakes. That's all

Sorry to hijack your thread Nasty!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by litle88
Yea my LPE Ls3 heads were pretty much spot on as well. Just trying to see some work before my brother sends his out you know?

It's like believing a used car salesman that tells you grandma owned but it was really driven by her 18yr old grandson lol!
My brother and myself just want to see some of the work that's performed on the intakes. That's all

Sorry to hijack your thread Nasty!
Your good brotha, i got what your sayin, but Tony was recommended by some big name shops for the porting...i spent like half an hour the other day on the phone with Tony coming up with a setup for my 408, he definently knows what hes doing, im confident when my setup all comes together, its gonna be a handfull
Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nastyss
Im pretty set on the afr 230 heads ,ported fast 102 and custom sped cam from Tony, ive talked to him before on the phone, he is an awesome guy with alot of knowledge, it will all be worth the extra money, im doin it right the first time.
Good choice man. I'd stay with stock rockers and just put the Comp Cams trunion upgrade in them. Are you going to have Tony hand finish the 230s? What compression are you shooting for? I'd look for mid-high 11s if your staying NA and 93 octane.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah , hes defintently working these quite a bit...gonna be around 12.1
Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Ohh believe me, I know he's someone to go to, no doubt!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
Good choice man. I'd stay with stock rockers and just put the Comp Cams trunion upgrade in them. Are you going to have Tony hand finish the 230s? What compression are you shooting for? I'd look for mid-high 11s if your staying NA and 93 octane.
Sammy and I had this conversation after the track on friday, stock rockers with the trunion upgrade should be all he needs for NA. Oh and FWIW, my motor is 11.7:1 with 93 VERY comfortably. I kinda wish i had an even 12:1 CR to throw a little more HP in the mix
Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Fast 102..

I use to think $250. or more was a lot of money for a polymer Fast intake porting job, that was until i had to do my own, for my ongoing almost there 440 Ci ls7 Mast large bore ls7 heads. There is a lot that can be done to improve that intake, and takes a bunch of hours, labor of love and patience, and keeping your eyes on the goal, it else helps when you like what you are doing as in my case.
Sure to reward the Fast intake is a top notch piece, but i think time has come for incorporating the improvements possible to the original piece sense they are getting a lot of money for it, and beside, must cars can use a 1"+ higher cover, so a larger plenum capacity is possible on a lot of cars, with taller runners [the corvette is not the only car using these intakes out there].
Just hope Fuel Air Spark Technology takes notes, on what we want, then we will play to improve that.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default come on...

Originally Posted by litle88
I'm not sure that's the best analogy, Tony is far from a used car salesman....

There is a reason why he is so respected. His work is repeatable, and it has been PROVEN time and time again, for MANY YEARS... And I can understand wanting to see examples of his work, but you can open up a number of threads relating to builds that he has been involved with, and they always have one thing in common: killer results! But you can't expect anyone to just give away all of their hard work and proprietary techniques online! Are detailed threads and dyno mumbers not enough?

This isn't just a hobby for Tony, it's how he makes a living. He puts together BY FAR the most detailed and thoughtful posts on this forum. He puts his work out their, and he has backed it up on independent dyno's to prove there aren't any sneaky tricks going on. And every time, his work backs up they hype. That's not enough for you guy's?

Earlier, you said you thought it was robbery to spend that kind of money on a little porting, sound's to me like your mind is already made up!
Frankly, posting pictures of his proprietary port job online, would be foolish, and take the value away from his paying customers, who are paying for an optimized package. How can you justify your request, with that being said?

That's just ridiculous, in my opinion. It would be like Chris posting a blueprint on how to build his cold-air intakes..

My $0.02
Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Please STOP, there are no "G14 classified" porters out there for these intakes! Period! I dont know about the Ls7's but the Ls3 Lsxr's can pretty much only be ported to match the heads. There really isint any where else to remove meat from that will be worth it.

Why don't we have an independent testing of all of these Fast 102 porters versus a stock FAST to prove it? 102's that is.
Or we can open these intakes up and show the world they look the same no secret porting just some good old port matching.
As far as Chris's c/a it's not a black magic trade. Anyone can build one! He just loves doing it for folks.
I just don't want guys on here getting ripped off of their hard earned money and get caught up in the "Hype" with these super dupper 1500.00 intakes by guys holding other guys sack!

Just my .02
Old 10-31-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

He openly admits that he charges less for the LS3 manifolds, because there isn't as much work to be done on those manifolds. But his customers are paying for work that's better than a garage job, from someone that doesn't have a bit of experience in the area. Port matching is one thing, but what many dont realize, is there are areas you aren't supposed to touch, and are actually hurting the performance of their manifolds.

And you might as well be the pot calling the kettle black with your "holding the sack" statement. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder, and are trying to off handedly say that Tony's work isn't worth "the hype". You are just too big of a ***** to come out and say it. Well, WHO ARE YOU to question his abilities? What have you given to the community to help?? I'm seeing quite a bit of that in the "Windy-city" area lately, and its really shady. I'm not the only person who see's this, I'll say that.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, you are speaking specifically about the LS3 variant of the 102 FAST, but I would venture to say, the majority of guys running Tony's intakes are using the cathedral port FAST 90/92/102 manifolds. This is his specialty, and that is where "the hype" was earned. But still, calling out this man's work, and saying it's a rip-off is uncalled for.

I see your position, with wanting to save customers from getting ripped off, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree with this one.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

yea seriously with Litle88's time spent on the forums I think he would know by now that Tony's work is very reputable and the best around.. Tony is the man period when it comes to intake porting. He has proved it again and again. He has even posted pictures of all the material that comes out when he ports these intakes and it is ridiculous and not just "port matching."

Litle88 are the numbers in your sig of the 416 or another previous combo?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Point blank, let's put their **** to their test!

Same Dyno same day same unbiased tuner ( one that can care less).
Against a stock 102 with pictures to prove it and all.

How am I holding someone's nuts? Because chris helped me out with my intake?
And now everyone in Chicago is shady? Wow
I'm willing to buy the winners intake and you'll buy the loosers, how's that for putting up or shutting up?

Let's stop talking about it and see what these porters can do to settle this? If not see if we can arrange something with a tuner and his Dyno.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not reading through this whole thread with these long *** replies. Who are we comparing Tony's FAST 102 porting work to?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Numbers in my sig are the from my old set up bud, I'm not saying these guys are not reputable or trying to say they are phonies. All I'm saying is that 500.00 + dollars is ALOT bud considering its not much work being done to them. If anyone with an open mind and a blue collar worker can take a step back and be rational and understand the involvement to port an Ls3 fast 102 intake they will realize that 500.00 is not worth it.

Again not demeaning their work or their accomplishments, or attacking their character.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
I'm not reading through this whole thread with these long *** replies. Who are we comparing Tony's FAST 102 porting work to?
Not comparing them to no ones bud.
That's the thing, I thought this was DEAD LOL.

I'm just stating that 500.00 to port a FAST 102 was excessive.

That's all. Lol
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Arguing with you about this is a waste of time. I don't know how much you have to open your mouth to cram your foot into it, but I hope its getting close. You are practically bashing a VERY RESPECTED, and reputable sponsor on this forum, and doing so with almost ZERO credibility! I ask you again, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE to contribute to this forum?? Why should anyone even respond to the half-witted challenge that you have proposed? "un-biased tuner ( one that can care less)".. Are you serious?? I don't have any interest in your silly challenge. I'm actually getting annoyed with this entire thread. Point blank, you are challenging a Valuable Member's credibility, and doing it with zero credibility of your own!

It's BULL ****, and it's out of line. Keep your opinion's to yourself, dude.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Period !!! Tony's work has been proven time and time again, you get what u pay for, as far as i can find, theres no better than tony when it comes to porting the Fast's
Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" 1Nastyss " did you get you LQ9 408 motor in you car yet?? is the build done ?

did you end up going with a mamofied set up AFRs 230s and mamofied FAST 102 ? mamofied cam ? i wanna see results as i am looking into a similar set up.... numbers

i have also been looking at PRC 237 cc heads, AFR 230s , and Trick Flow 235 ,.....

Jay
Old 07-17-2012, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Daaaamn back from a 7 month old suspension lol.

Quick Reply: TF 235 PatG Cam vs AFR 230 Mamo Cam ?