Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Hey camshaft guru's

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
But to tell someone that obviously cares about how a car drives around town, with a 6 speed, that ls3 heads will get him what he wants is not right. They are lazy on stock cube motors under 4000rpms compared to cathedral heads. Period.
rotflmfao

Sir, it is obvious you mean well, but IMHO you should really stop making absolute statements like this if your true goal is inform people of the truth, because there are many of us out there that know this is complete bullshit.

I own a HUGE, HEAVY pig of a GTO with an M6, and it is a breeze to drive even with a cam that you would consider OMFGWFT big. It is cake to drive in stop & go traffic, and anything but lazy. In fact, it now has more power everywhere when compared to the setup with 243s. It is an awesome combo, and if it blew up today, it would be rebuilt with the same exact setup I have now. It is just that much fun.

I had a mismatched cam in it when I first installed my LS3 heads. I was even told on this forum that I couldn't even run that cam with LS3 heads. lol It was a fantastic combination, and I had to be convince by my cam designer to let me install a bigger one when I lost a lifter, but I did.

After I installed the monster cam, I thought I'd lost a lot down low, and in rush hour traffic @about 60, I had to keep it in 5th. I though, "OMG, I made a mistake...yeah, I have a lot more power up top, but where's the low end torque???" Then I told myself, "Self, do NOT judge this cam till you have time to spend a few minutes on the tune.

OMG. Fact: With a 6.0/LS3 head setup, a good tune will make ALL THE DIFFERENCE and it will go from feeling like a slug down low to cripsp and powerful. Even my 3,750+ pound pig feels stronger than it ever has with my setup, and the best part...I get 25+mpg doing 70-80 mhp. Now, I find that where I would have downshifted to accellerate in traffic, I actually have MORE power, and just leave it in 6th.

I really thought you were a big time guru with countless hours of testing under the belt, so I've given you the benefit of the doubt on your posts, then I see these:

So who is the man when it comes to specing out an l92 setup cam?
Also.. What kind of gains can be expected with porting milling the stock castings?
I'd have thought the way you bash LS3/6.0s that you would already know your cam specs and the pros/cons of porting them. If you need to ask those newb LS3 questions, then I am WAY done with this conversation. You obviously have a lot more research to do, and I suspect that if you are honest, some day you will return to this thread, tell me I was right, and we'll all have a laugh.

I just hate stuff like this. If I came into this thread and read what you had to say about LS3 heads and took it as gospel I sure as hell wouldn't buy them. And before you say it, YES, I'm quite sure I'd get better performance out of a $5,000 set of heads. My answer would be, "I damn sure better!"

My heads ASSEMBLED cost me $1,300, and probably has me around 475/430. It drives like a dream, hauls ***, roasts the tires anytime I want, and sounds mean. That's bang for the buck.

Last edited by ShoddyHog; 11-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The masses and design strongly disagree with you.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just updated my post above, and I'm done with this conversation. You either need to find a good cam designer, good tuner, or both.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have an extremely good idea what my cam specs will be, as well as about what the split, lift, and over lap will be very close to, probably almost exact... But I am far from a cam guru when it comes to rectangular heads and I have zero problems admitting that.. Never hurts to ask. And no, I don't know who is the number one man with rectangular setups.
My setup isn't going to be the norm for a 6.0 l92 setup, therefore the research/experience out there is limited.

I also know that I should gain roughly 17-23rwhp from porting/milling the l92s.. I think ky setup with the tsp ls3 will gain mid 20s, but my setup is also a tad bit more thought out than most as well. That was setting my next question up however, way to jump to a conclusion.

Will most likely go with pat gs cam recommendation and damian will be doing the tuning. I think I'm set there.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Masses chiming in...we (at least I) strongly disagree with you. Shoddy is coming from 50,000 miles of first hand experience with this combo and his results are backed by the others I have researched with this combo. What are you basing your opinion on?...internet hear say?...gains from a set of heads that literally cost as much as my ENTIRE setup (brand new LS3 heads, intake, injector, porting and milling, rockers, trunion upgrade, cam, springs, link bar lifters, pushrods, ARP studs, gaskets, etc). Shoddy's results, the results of similar setups, stock like driveability, and the bargin for the gains that the LS3 setup offers is why I chose this route. You too, oddly enough, have chosen this setup so why don't listen to the people who are actually running it, quit listening to those trying to push more expensive parts, and see what your results are before you say there are better gains for similar money somewhere else.

Last edited by BackRoadGTO; 11-10-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made 467/411 with a mismatched cam and a so-so tune (needs to be cleaned up by a pro) on my 6.0/L92 much like Jerry. Torque curve like a table top too.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

You sure can find a lot of misinformation on the interweb...
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
You sure can find a lot of misinformation on the interweb...
Yelp, recycled misinformation.........LOL

I still want to know how do you measure seat of the pants and tip in?

What tool, test, machine, etc... measures tip in or seat of the pants?

Bozz
Old 11-12-2011, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I still want to know what kind of et's these awesome ls3 headed cars all run with there superior cylinder heads
I started a thread on this but it quickly died
Amazing considering there are hundreds of threads about there superior power making abilities?
All i ever see is LS3 dyno results and INFLATED ONES AT THAT
Dynos are like a vibrator-good for getting girls rocks off
All these square port deals that preach how much better they are with less this or that dont ever out-perform in the real world any better than anything else
Just my 2 cents
Old 11-12-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Yelp, recycled misinformation.........LOL

I still want to know how do you measure seat of the pants and tip in?

What tool, test, machine, etc... measures tip in or seat of the pants?

Bozz
Same one that's used to measure driveability.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crossbreed383
I still want to know what kind of et's these awesome ls3 headed cars all run with there superior cylinder heads
I started a thread on this but it quickly died
Amazing considering there are hundreds of threads about there superior power making abilities?
All i ever see is LS3 dyno results and INFLATED ONES AT THAT
Dynos are like a vibrator-good for getting girls rocks off
All these square port deals that preach how much better they are with less this or that dont ever out-perform in the real world any better than anything else
Just my 2 cents
Nobody said anything about superiority...just the absolute statements that someone was making about a 6.0 not liking LS3 heads, not having any power down low, and not being driveable. That's complete bullshit.

Originally Posted by AutomaticWpn06
Posted up a thread in drag racing but figured I would post in here as well. Ran an 11.37@118.8 down at MIR with a 1.58 60'. For those interested the cam is a 227/235 114+4 and the heads are stock LS3's with a .030 mill and stock unported ls3 intake.

Quick Reply: Hey camshaft guru's