Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

$2800.00 Labor quote for H/C swap...really?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by litle88
Hey Troy I have been dealing with Straightline for nearly 6 years now and they are a good crew. You will feel comfortable asking any questions you might have wit those guys no matter how big or small your budget is. Ask for Nick or Tuner Mike and tell him Zeke sent you.
thanks man ill ask them for a quote etc...
I am waiting for like 3 quotes right now lol. Like I said not looking for the cheapest...I'll pay more for good work....at this point 2800 seems a bit unreasonable but we will see.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parks450
If the name Speed Inc doesn't persuade you or $1250 WITH dyno tune doesn't either I don't know what to tell you. Your first quote completely out of line, thats rediculous for a labor quote. With that said when you get a quote that high it usually means they don't want to do it or their ******* idiots. Speed Inc specializes in LSX vehicles while these other less reputable shops quote you the same and are NOT as good. No brainer here.
I didnt give them all the details of my install with extra work involved. Such as my EWP and having to install trunion upgrade and some other things. I sent them a detailed e-mail and they will getting back with me on a new quote tomorrow. I am guessing it will be closer to 2k...but still a better deal for sure.

I know they are a good name...but I have heard a couple of bad stories as well from a guy in the chicago area. Not sure if they are true just saying.

I am not really persuaded with anyone yet...still just keeping my options open. I appreciate the input though. Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day I was quoted $1500 for a cam swap ONLY! and that didnt include dyno tuning. In my head I was LOL'ing. Today I called another local shop that is very highly knowledgeable in LSX engines and for Heads AND cam installed would be from $1000-$1200, and $300 for dyno tuning.

I live in Toronto, and i dont mind driving to Northeast Michigan area or upstate NY, or PA for work if they are knowledgeable, have good feedback and have pretty reasonable prices. Just keep calling around and you should be golden

also, for any of the guys that do installs themselves, whats some good books to buy? Helms i hear is good

Last edited by family-man; 02-16-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the LS rebuild book off eBay and it was very detailed on everything, it was around $20 shipped
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

To spend $2800 you'd have to make $4000 or so before tax, and $2800 sounds crazy high. Higher prices do not necessarily equal higher quality, they just augment the perceived quality of a product/ service as reported by buyers/ users. Causation and correlation are two different things. None of the stuff you've mentioned sounds all that hard anyway. http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2
http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Engines...9452222&sr=8-4
Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^what he said.

Wow....$2800...what an unbelievable rip off. They either have little experience doing it, or they are just trying to rip you off, of they're about to go out of business and need the cash. Either way....don't use them.

Speed Inc.......wow....you have to take it there......thats a top shop. Consider yourself lucky that you're so close to them.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

****, $2800? I'd do it for $2k and I'll pay for your dyno tune too.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 AM
TECH Regular

^^^^^ im with Guitar on this 1. Everything u named off is as simple as can be especially dealing with a ls engine. Almost idiot proof task . A $20 good book compared to $2800 labor would deff be worth the time ro install urself. Just MHO!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with Speed Inc?

I have done all the work on the car so far...and like I said I have done a h/c swap before (actually 3 of them) Honestly having more money in my pocket is making me lazy or something....I cant find the gumption to talk myself into it.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your having to continually ask about Speed Inc. do you really know the LS aftermarket that well?

Take it to Speed Inc. and be done with it or do it yourself if you have done this before.

Think about what you could buy with 2 grand still in your pocket! That's alot of lap dances man!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other day I was quoted $1500 for a cam swap ONLY! and that didnt include dyno tuning. In my head I was LOL'ing. Today I called another local shop that is very highly knowledgeable in LSX engines and for Heads AND cam installed would be from $1000-$1200, and $300 for dyno tuning.
1200 for a head and cam install isnt bad but that just for the labor , any extra parts will be taxed on plus tax, op if ya know how to do it i dont now why you would want to spend 2 grand you dont need to, find the time dont be dumb
Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont think he wants to go to speed inc for some reason? If I dont that quote it would of been on its way asap!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

I've done probably 30 cam swaps.. and plenty of heads and cam swaps.. I could never justify charging somebody 2800 dollars.. Even with me being very particular/detailed on my installs.

lol I charge 80/hr at my shop. I would probably say doing the heads/cam together would be around 15 hours or so, which would be around 1200 bucks.. add maybe another 2 hours to do the electric water pump and checking ptv.. now if the ptv is too tight and it needs flycutting or what-not.. The price will go up accordingly.. I think anything over 1500 without a dynotune is just ridiculous.

I worked for a dealership for 5 years and even there we wouldn't go that far off! I have 0 experience with Speed Inc. However they are very talked about and everything is always good, so I would probably trust that they know what they are doing. Good luck in whichever way you decide to go.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
I really dont think he wants to go to speed inc for some reason? If I dont that quote it would of been on its way asap!
Not going to go into why...but I am a bit leary. I may go to them. I may not. Like I have said before....the weather is not permitting right now anyways. I dont need to make this decision immediately...I have learned in my 27 years that making these kinds of decisions quickly is never a good thing.

In other news...Straightline already got back to me with a quote. I sent them a detailed E-mail and this is what I got back.

It's $550 for a cam install, and $400 for the heads. $125 for the trunion kit, and then the eletric water pump wiring will just be hourly (doesn't take long usually). Then $450 for the dyno tune. I noticed that you didn't include lifters, I would definitely look into those (I recommend Comp Cams 875 lifters). We have done enough low mileage cars to know that sometimes a lifter doesn't pump back up when being reused. Last thing you want to do is to have to take the heads back off if that happens.

Looking at 1525 here plus whatever the EWP labor is.

And yes I know speed inc was a cheaper quote...but like I said I didnt give them any details over the phone...I am waiting for my e-mail quote to come back in which I sent them all the details.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got 4 quotes now.

Original quote (2800 labor) $3700 total

Got 3 more quotes now and they all range from $1750 total to $2200 total. Much more realistic and what I was expecting. All reputable shops as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
I just called speed inc in Illinois which is a 4 hour drive for me. They have been specializing in lsx cars for years and I would imagine they could do it as well as anyone.

They quoted me 1250.00 WITH DYNO TUNE. That seems too good to be true.

Dont know what the hell to think now...im not sure.
if you want to drive it to milwaukee my builder/tuner would probably do $800.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought parts from Speed Inc. Some Comp pushrods. They sent 3 extra at no extra charge.( I was told just in case..)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
If your having to continually ask about Speed Inc. do you really know the LS aftermarket that well?

Take it to Speed Inc. and be done with it or do it yourself if you have done this before.

Think about what you could buy with 2 grand still in your pocket! That's alot of lap dances man!
I am not making any claims or personal attacks at speed inc because I have not heard their side of the story etc. I have always heard they were a good company...I have nothing against them. I guy I used to go to car events with had his car built by them a few years back and everything was great.

BUT...In a matter of about an hour I had 3 private messages from different people on another forum telling me about their recent personal bad experiences with them. Some of them rather frightening.

Didnt want to go their...but some of you want to make me out as some kind of fool/LS ignorant for weighing my options. Just gathering all the info I can to make the most informed decision possible. Its not like this is my 8000 dollar 98 z28 I used to have.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JC70SS
if you want to drive it to milwaukee my builder/tuner would probably do $800.
Thanks for the offer man I appreciate it. I am not going to drive more than about 4 hours though.

Leaning heavily toward Finishline Performance or Mike Norris Motorsports right now. One is 3.5 hr drive and the other is 4. Both have very very high regards and I feel very comfortable going to either. Being I look at them as being equal in quality I will probably go with whoever is cheaper. If they are roughly the same...I'll go with Norris and save the 1/2 hr of driving. Havent got a quote from Norris yet. But everyone seems to be about the same ballpark so far...besides one.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Get it done!

Quick Reply: $2800.00 Labor quote for H/C swap...really?