Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

So there's really no on in here that can help an LS4 guy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money and build one of these when you can get your hands on one:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-review-review
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Honestly what is the attraction to making 400+ at the front wheels? It's not going to be usable power.

- Ugly Pontiac owner
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the same reason the imports do. Its still fun, and when on the freeway, traction isnt an issue. I run a 12.71 last year with a 1.98 60 ft. Without slicks or sticky tires. not looking for a highfive or anything.:-)

Nothing wrong with fwd. They make great daily drivers and are easy to drive in the elements.
Also before somebody cries about torque steer, its not all that bad in these cars, thanks to the engineers.

A G8 is a nice car, and I would get one if I could afford it. I do however like being different..
Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
For the same reason the imports do. Its still fun, and when on the freeway, traction isnt an issue. I run a 12.71 last year with a 1.98 60 ft. Without slicks or sticky tires. not looking for a highfive or anything.:-)

Nothing wrong with fwd. They make great daily drivers and are easy to drive in the elements.
Also before somebody cries about torque steer, its not all that bad in these cars, thanks to the engineers.

A G8 is a nice car, and I would get one if I could afford it. I do however like being different..
No doubt your numbers are impressive for a front wheel drive car, or most cars for that matter. Your sig photo does show pretty big tires in the front, though. Hell, I think the impala was featured in the Drive film, although dubbed with a manual trans.

It's just a lot easier to start with a (new) Caprice or G8 before the mods start and so much easier to overcome fwd limitations.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by futureuser
Save your money and build one of these when you can get your hands on one:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-review-review
NOW THATS MORE LIKE IT! haha pontiacs aren't ugly I just don't wanna hear "why don't you get a G8" anymore, I mean c'mon like I don't realize that GM makes RWD sedans...and I'm a Super Sport nut and pontiac's don't come as SS's, but i did think about a 1st gen CTS-V right after I got the Impala but I love having something different

that Caprice PPV is going to be offered to the public as a 2013 or 2014, but It will most likely be dubbed a Chevelle and I may have to sell my C5 and swing into a new Chevelle to match my '66, damn vette's faling apart

I couldn't agree more, those are some nice numbers...turbo cars aren't runnin much faster for the most part, I want the same **** that you've got.

and torque steer isn't an issue at all with my tublar control arms and stiff suspension, I just wish the driveshafts were equal legnth

what kind of diff can I run and still have the car usable in the rain and snow?...I was thinking an electronic selectable locker

This car should trap 114-115 this year, and Im hoping for 1.8 60ft times (fingers crossed!) 3865 lb race weight and all motor!
Shifts are set at 6800 with 3.69 gears and 3500 stall.
you're revving up to 6800? damn man, did you do anything to the bottom end? so I assume you chose a cam that yielded a bit less low end power in trade for a high rpm screamer? what are the stock gears? and how do you like having the high stall converter? for FWD I assumed you didn't need to mess with that because of traction issues off the line, but based on your numbers I'm obviouslly wrong

thank you everyone for the productive comments so i can stop doing this

Last edited by V8ImpSS; 03-21-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True...until you race them...and then the only thing wrong is physics.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey guy what kinda ******* avatar picture is that? i mean really?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

The bottom end is stock. The ls4 uses the updated ls2 style rod bolts, and uses lighter pistons then the bigger bore motors, so there is no real reason to mess with it. I did install a ported and blue printed ls6 oil pump. The stock ls4 pump flows 30% more so i ditched it to keep the pan from getting sucked dry, and to free up a little more hp up top. I also installed a katech c-5r timing chain. The chain is a work of art. (I almost installed it around my neck lmoa). These two upgrades are on my current engine, along with ported heads.
The stock ls2 chain was pretty streached so i scraped it. Plus I have heard to many breakage stories.

On the street I have the shift points set for 6200. At the track I tap shift at 6800.
I shifted at 6800 due to the stupid stock gearing (2.93) so I would pass through the lights in 2nd doing 6800

I have not been to the track new engine or with my new trans. The trans was completely updated with TEP parts. 3.69 gears with a 3500 Stall (stock is close to 3000 btw)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

The bottom end is stock. The ls4 uses the updated ls2 style rod bolts, and uses lighter pistons then the bigger bore motors, so there is no real reason to mess with it. I did install a ported and blue printed ls6 oil pump. The stock ls4 pump flows 30% more so i ditched it to keep the pan from getting sucked dry, and to free up a little more hp up top. I also installed a katech c-5r timing chain. The chain is a work of art. (I almost installed it around my neck lmoa). These two upgrades are on my current engine, along with ported heads.
The stock ls2 chain was pretty streached so i scraped it. Plus I have heard to many breakage stories.

On the street I have the shift points set for 6200. At the track I tap shift at 6800.
I shifted at 6800 due to the stupid stock gearing (2.93) so I would pass through the lights in 2nd doing 6800

I have not been to the track new engine or with my new trans. The trans was completely updated with TEP parts. 3.69 gears with a 3500 Stall (stock is close to 3000 btw)
sweet, with the 6 speed I'll end up somewhere in 3rd going through the lights but it would be nice to rev that high reguardless, but the tach in the Impala only goes up to 6k so tapshit isn't gonna happen for me...I need a new converter anyway as mine's about to , but i think im gonna wait on the gear until i can figure out what the right thing to do as far as a diff is, i assume your just running the stock diff? i know quaife make a specific for FWD LSD diff that was codeveloped with Ford for the Focus RS, but it's pricey IIRC...and that Focus RS isn't exactly meant for the snow, making yet another ford worthless

now that we've moved on from the pontiac comment, is it okay if I talk **** about ford on here? hahahaha
Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
you're revving up to 6800? damn man, did you do anything to the bottom end? so I assume you chose a cam that yielded a bit less low end power in trade for a high rpm screamer? what are the stock gears? and how do you like having the high stall converter? for FWD I assumed you didn't need to mess with that because of traction issues off the line, but based on your numbers I'm obviouslly wrong
I have not been to the track with my new engine and trans. The new engine has a LS6 oil pump and a C5-R Katech timing chain. The rest of the bottom end is all stock. Our engine use the LS2 rod bolts and they are plenty stock for our smaller/lighter piston engine. Plus the LS2 has 10.9-11.1 CR vs our 10.1. I had the heads re-worked so I am around 10.5 now

The trans has been beefed up with TEP parts. Stock gearing is 2.93
As mentioned earlier, I am now using 3.69's with a 3500 stall. The stock converter is around 3000 stall. The gears have made a huge difference. No more staying in 2nd gear all day long anymore. When I was drag racing last year, I would pass through the lights in 2nd gear@6800rpm

The only problem I have now is with trans tuning. The anti-score keeps me from frying the tires past 1/3 throttle, and if I lift off then the trans upshifts. I am in the process of getting it tuned now.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 03-21-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by futureuser
No doubt your numbers are impressive for a front wheel drive car, or most cars for that matter. Your sig photo does show pretty big tires in the front, though. Hell, I think the impala was featured in the Drive film, although dubbed with a manual trans.

It's just a lot easier to start with a (new) Caprice or G8 before the mods start and so much easier to overcome fwd limitations.
I use 285/35/18 for track use. The tires are NT555r's and are nothing special.

I just watched Driver, and was hopping for some real good chase senes.
My G/F got pissed cause I lost interest after I heard the Impala shift a dozen times.

Quick Reply: So there's really no on in here that can help an LS4 guy?