Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

3 discolored rods... opinions please? pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 discolored rods... opinions please? pics inside

I searched on discolored rods and found nearly nothing, and just want some opinions on my pictures and what happened.
Had a problem with the oil pump relief valve sticking so I had it swapped out today and we found 3 discolored rods, they look like they've turned black, and a little blue'ing on the reluctor wheel.
We checked the rod bearings from the worst 2 and they looked perfectly fine, no scouring or discoloration. The tiniest shaving of dark metal was found stuck to the magnet on the oil pan drain plug, and there was the slightest bit of gold flake glimmering in the bottom of the oil pan. The engine wasn't run for more than 60 seconds total once the oil pump failed, and sounds and idles as smooth as before.
How bad does it look from these pics? I haven't driven the car other than around the block today at 15mph, and I don't want to do more damage before I have the money to invest in rebuilding, etc.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do the mains look? I'd still be skeptical about driving it until I measured everything. There is a reason they turned blue. I personally, would tear it down before more damage could occur and more money is spent.
I know it's easy for me to say tear it down because it's not my money, but you have to be realisitic about what happened.
Sorry dude!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That rod would not turn color so evenly if it was done by the engine running. My guess is the rod color happened before it was assembled.

Kurt
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Haven't checked the mains yet, just the 2 rod bearings. Also still haven't driven it. I want to check the mains for security, but if I were to drive it first and something really is fucked up... Would I notice some signs like inconsistent oil pressure or a different sound before more or major damage could begin? Or could it just start knocking and throw a rod all of a sudden while cruising?

Originally Posted by 427
That rod would not turn color so evenly if it was done by the engine running. My guess is the rod color happened before it was assembled.

Kurt
Wow that would be nice if it has always been that color, kinda. All I know is this stock lq9 block was swapped in the truck with 40k on it from an 06 yukon about 30k ago and I've never had any problems with it
Old 03-20-2012, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Run it.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

My l92 had one rod that looked like that. I replaced it for piece of mind. Mine had a slight knock before, I don't have it all bad together yep to see if it's wuiet
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

My l92 had one rod that looked like that. I replaced it for piece of mind. Mine had a slight knock before, I don't have it all bad together yep to see if it's quiet.

Quick Reply: 3 discolored rods... opinions please? pics inside