Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

PRC 250CC aftermarket castings/g6x3 cam 505rwhp/464rwtq

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoP
Ever think the tune was not up to par? Is it a MAF only tune or did the tuner actually spend the time to do the VVE?
Very few people actually tune the VVE on E38/67 computers. Low speed driveability and throttle response cleans up very nice once you do. I was running MAF only on my car for a while, and then I downloaded Bluecats tool and it worked like a dream.

Even with that said the MAF still takes over at 4000 RPM's. With out looking at the tune and a WOT log its hard to say if the tune is to blame.

It does sound like your tune needs a little work. That cam should drive fairly decent for how big it is. My guess Base running airflow, and fueling is the issue
Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
HoP
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The1N_only
Very few people actually tune the VVE on E38/67 computers. Low speed driveability and throttle response cleans up very nice once you do. I was running MAF only on my car for a while, and then I downloaded Bluecats tool and it worked like a dream.

Even with that said the MAF still takes over at 4000 RPM's. With out looking at the tune and a WOT log its hard to say if the tune is to blame.
Most every LS tuner I know including myself will tune the VVE on heavily modified vehicles. But yes some do not.

If you leave the dynamic airflow stock it will be 4000 rpm's at which point the ecu uses filtered MAF airmass for calculations. This could be changed in his tune to be used at a different RPM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ What is defined as heavily modified though? 500whp seems relatively tame.

My maf-only tune makes 517/462 but VVE is something I'm still learning about. I'm not quite ready to make the switch over. I need to do more research.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Burrhos
^ What is defined as heavily modified though? 500whp seems relatively tame.

My maf-only tune makes 517/462 but VVE is something I'm still learning about. I'm not quite ready to make the switch over. I need to do more research.
Tuning the VVE on your car will clean up the driveability, it wont make anymore power.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Tuning the VVE on your car will clean up the driveability, it wont make anymore power.
I'd love to tune the VVE but I don't even know where to begin. I've got the maf all setup but I need a lot more reading time with the HPT forum before feeling comfortable. I understand the concept, but that's about it.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26884

You can download bluecats tool in the first post in this link

Here’s how to tune the VE:

1. Put the car in open loop
2. Fail the MAF by setting the MAF Fail High to 0
3. Flash and reset fuel trims in case there are any residuals left over from the last time you were in closed loop
4. Start logging on a warmed up motor. I usually start with the lower RPM and MAP's to get the cruise areas out of the way, then work on WOT on a whole seperate log.
5. In your tune, go into Engine, Airflow, Dynamic Airflow and open the following tables:

a. Zone RPM Boundaries
b. Zone MAP Boundaries

6. Open Engine, Airflow, Speed Density and open the following tables:

a. Constant
b. MAP2
c. MAP
d. MAP.RPM
e. RPM2
f. RPM

7. Open the EQ VE program and click on “HPTuner Hooks” and click “Copy Equations from HPTuner”. Click OK to the confirmation dialog
8. Allow the program to copy the values out, don’t mess with any windows while it’s doing it’s thing. It’s done when it says, “Copy Data Complete”
9. Click on “Gen Table”, “OK”, “No” to populate the EQ VE program’s LS2 VE table
10. Make sure you have your histo open for the VE table AFR error.
11. In the VE Table screen of my program, enable edits, then click "Analysis Modify" then "Apply HP Scanner Data".
12. Let the program copy the data from your histo. After the copy is complete, a new window will open, select the action's (I.E. multiply, minimum counts and such) you want to do and click "Start".
13. A new window will appear again with a data grid of the data to apply, click "Apply to Table".
14. Back on the main screen, click “Gen Equation”, “OK”
15. Click on “HPTuner Hooks”, “Send Equations to HPTuner”, “OK”, wait for it to complete and click “OK”.
16. Save the tune file and flash it to the car. Start again with step 4 until AFR Error is within +-5%

If you need help setting up the histogram to log VE AFR Error let me know.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

That's some pretty solid info. Thank you for sharing. I'll take a look at it.
I've made some basic custom histo grams for fuel trims (LT Bank 1 and LT Bank 2) but that's about it
Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

no problem
Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

My apologies for the thread getting off topic.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

My apologies for the thread getting off topic.
No problem...I appreciate the info!

Quick Reply: PRC 250CC aftermarket castings/g6x3 cam 505rwhp/464rwtq