Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ABSOLUTE best heads for stroked ls2 (COME ON IN)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAST LS2 245cc is your choice if you have FAST LSXR LS2 and 402 engine
Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

You can never go worng with WCCH stage 3 L92 head
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gto_ua
MAST LS2 245cc is your choice if you have FAST LSXR LS2 and 402 engine
+1 on this.. MAST FTW!!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

People need to stop looking at cc numbers and flow numbers, and look at cross section and valve size for a given displacemant
A TFS 245 head is the perfect size if not a little small for a 400 in motor

I run a TEA 245 head on my 408
Been 9.90 n/a in Denver at close to 8000ft of d/a
15 % converter slippage
Only 12 passes so far with absolutley zero timing or jet changes
Id think theres some left in it working the bugs out
Car would run low 9.20s at sea level as it sits
Dont under estimate the correct cathedral port
I see alot of square port motors but very few perform where it counts(off the dyno)!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should look at proven performers & dyno results. Checkout the Hot Rod magazine article on cathedral head shootouts.

The PRC 237 head moved the most amount of total airflow side by side & was the only head that kept gaining power & didn't fall off on the dyno at higher rpm.

The PRC 237 heads feature .675" springs standard & manley valves!!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crossbreed383
People need to stop looking at cc numbers and flow numbers, and look at cross section and valve size for a given displacemant
A TFS 245 head is the perfect size if not a little small for a 400 in motor

I run a TEA 245 head on my 408
Been 9.90 n/a in Denver at close to 8000ft of d/a
15 % converter slippage
Only 12 passes so far with absolutley zero timing or jet changes
Id think theres some left in it working the bugs out
Car would run low 9.20s at sea level as it sits
Dont under estimate the correct cathedral port
I see alot of square port motors but very few perform where it counts(off the dyno)!
BINGO! LS7 stuff does ok... I have yet to see LS3/L98 stuff really perform. The exhaust ports just don't flow.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The1N_only
BINGO! LS7 stuff does ok... I have yet to see LS3/L98 stuff really perform. The exhaust ports just don't flow.
Then you sure have not looked very hard, or looked at all.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Brian Tooley, he will set you up with some custom Trickflow heads.
Probably some 235's, for your bore.
I've always used TEA TF heads, but this time around I used the Mast 245 Cathedral Ports on my 418, just to try something different.
Both are very nice heads.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would PM the vendors here and see what they can offer you once you have given them make, model, EXACT engine build specs and what the car is used for.. or look on GM Hightech, GMPP, CHP, Car Craft, dont rush to build it..do it once but DO IT RIGHT..and there are quite a few books on ebay for the exact engine build you are referring to and it has part #'s and exact breakdown of whats in the engine to coincide with the dyno numbers etc.. JMO i dont have a blank check to work with but since cost is not important to you then i would still do my homework first!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gectek
Then you sure have not looked very hard, or looked at all.
Really guy? Maybe you need to open your because stock casting head just don't perform. Be my guess and run a set if stock ported LS3 casting heads and be disappointed just like 95% of the people on here... But hey you cant know it all when you are swinging from other peoples nuts

I would run a cathedral port head until you start getting into a big cubic inch motor or turning a lot of RPM where you can take advantage of the port volume. In saying that I wouldn't even consider LS3 heads and go straight for a set of All Pro LS7 or MAST. Its that simple.

Last edited by The1N_only; 04-08-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really guy? Maybe you need to open your because stock casting head just don't perform. Be my guess and run a set if stock ported LS3 casting heads and be disappointed just like 95% of the people on here... But hey you cant know it all when you are swinging from other peoples nuts

I would run a cathedral port head until you start getting into a big cubic inch motor or turning a lot of RPM where you can take advantage of the port volume. In saying that I wouldn't even consider LS3 heads and go straight for a set of All Pro LS7 or MAST. Its that simple.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-427-ceta.html

Maybe I have no idea what I am talking about.....hmmm

Not swinging on any ******* here. Maybe you need to take the ***** out of your mouth before you start to spout your BS. Thanks

Also if you want to talk port volume then you are retarded. Stock LS3 head 260cc in stock unported form. Most aftermarket Cathedral port heads 245cc max. Port volume has a small part, but honestly not a huge factor in the "how a head performs" equation.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Not swinging on any ******* here. Maybe you need to take the ***** out of your mouth before you start to spout your BS. Thanks

Also if you want to talk port volume then you are retarded. Stock LS3 head 260cc in stock unported form. Most aftermarket Cathedral port heads 245cc max. Port volume has a small part, but honestly not a huge factor in the "how a head performs" equation.
Dude your the idiot with your blanket statements, swinging from the nuts of someone else... besides you missed my point. If you don't have an engine that can take advantage of the larger port volume the car will feel lazy in the lower RPM range due to lack of port velocity. The bigger the cubic inch and high the RPM the more these square port heads will shine, With the proper cam. There is a reason I choose a Trick flow 245 head for my engine. The torque curve and throttle response is amazing. If i was building it for a race car I would have went with the WCCH All Pro head. There are so many more things to consider when choosing a head when you build an engine... Which I'm sure you know nothing about. I am a fan of anything that supports the growth of our LS platform

Right now on the market the absolute best head on the marker is the MAST MOZES head but it doesn't fit the OP application

OP just consult one of the many sponsors on here to point you in the right direction so you will not be disappointed bu misguided advice by armatures at best. Internet geniuses never cease to amaze me.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Oh and my little 245 cathedral port heads out flow most ls3 stuff out there with just a valve job. TEA, MAST offer larger than a 245 port if that's what your looking for.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I said nothing about flow sir. I quoted you to your port volume. And FYI WCCH has a set of stock casting LS3 heads that will flow over 370 on the intake with their port work.

If you do not believe what I say, then maybe you should read in the dyno forum a bit more with LS3 heads. You are sunk in the same muck that the rest of the old school guys seem to be with saying that such a large runner will cause mush in the lower rpm.

You said NOTHING about the LS3 head only working on larger engines before, now you change your tune.

PS you're the one that brought nuts into the subject, so that makes me question why you are arguing with me in the first place....
Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

no need in arguing... you already know it all. Have a nice Easter or whats let of it
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I sure do not know it all, but how can you argue with the man?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-446rwtq.html

There is one post where even Pat G is impressed with them.

I can go on, but your vast knowledge of the LS3 top end swap combos is sure to prove me wrong.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Hey jack *** maybe you should read my post again. New school, old school engine dynamics are the same. Efficiency and the correct combination on parts is key.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM

EASY guys, Anyway back on topic thanks for the info on the Medium bore heads they are the same size valves as trickflow 235....what does the 245 mean on teh MAST i have no clue what that number means....Im wondering why when i called MAST they said the Large bore was what i wanted? it had HUGE valves and seemed rediculous to put that big of a head on it....

It seems like the medium bore is about the same as the 235 trickflow except its a 245 (which idont know what means) so im going to further look into them id really like a MAST head but everyone i have talked to at Mast has given me different info !!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

I am running some worked up trick flow 215cnc heads on my LS2 402ci.
I would recommened either the TrickFlow or the AllPros..
Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

the number such as 235, 245 ect is the port volume of the intake runner. There are some very reputable sponsors/shops on here that will be able to guide you based on your needs and requirements. Right now all anything knows is the head is going on a 402 ci motor. What do you plan on doing... Road race, Drag race, or a pure pure street car. Do you need a pump gas set up or will it be ran on nothing but race gas? There is a lot of variables that need to taken into account for when putting an engine combo.

Quick Reply: ABSOLUTE best heads for stroked ls2 (COME ON IN)