Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

HELP, 418 has to much crankcase pressure, blowing out everywher!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok problem is officially solved I put the oil cap back on replacing the breather and then I added a breather to each valve covor on the 3/8 fitting.

just to be clear the breather DID solve the blowback issue with the dipstick and rear main seal, the problem was oil was misting or getting shot up into the breather, pooling in it and then leaking out. i put the oil cap back on and added a breather to both covors so now the oil would have to fight gravity to get out, and no no more issues not a single drop and engine running perfectly fine.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
ok problem is officially solved I put the oil cap back on replacing the breather and then I added a breather to each valve covor on the 3/8 fitting.

just to be clear the breather DID solve the blowback issue with the dipstick and rear main seal, the problem was oil was misting or getting shot up into the breather, pooling in it and then leaking out. i put the oil cap back on and added a breather to both covors so now the oil would have to fight gravity to get out, and no no more issues not a single drop and engine running perfectly fine.

Haters gonna hate. Glad it fixed your problem.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engine blows oil and the dipstick out sometimes when on the bottle. I have a valley PCV going into a catch can then into the intake behind the t-body. The pass side cover has a small breather and the drivers side is plugged. What do I need to do?

My can is really an air and water seperator. Its like an air comp. type. It catches maybe a tsp or less when I drive it.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would suggest try adding a breather to the driver side covor if that dont fix it then you may need to look into the piston rings, breathers should solve the problem if its just regular blowback and if your not running a stroked engine and having those kids of isues then it very well may be the rings
Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i build custom pcv/catch can/breather valve set ups for some guys with the same 'problem' bigh hp/ FI / loose n/a if you wanna pm me.

you guys went in an impressive circle on this thread ill give you credit!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my solution, two -10 breathers, i welded an alloy fitting in the rocker cover, i am going to put a -12 in the valley plate with a baffled catch can that recycles back into the sump also.
I am revving this to 7500rpm on the strip, on the rollers i can see it smokes a little after it hits 7k+, so hence i am going with a breather directly from the Crank case.
I dont rev it that hard on short circuit stuff, but only when i quarter it as i need to rev out in 3rd.
Attached Thumbnails HELP, 418 has to much crankcase pressure, blowing out everywher!!!!-breather.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no valley tube

Forsome reason the last builder used a vally pan with no vent tube! SO in this case what do i do ?

I have breather on the oil cap
After market valve covers with a tube by oil cap and one in drivers side in the back !
I went and bought two small filters and some tees and a 3/8 nipple to drill a hole in driver side front and add nipple ! I was then gona run two filter between two line and leave system how it is
I have oil issues at high rpms where its pushing out rear seal and motor only have 23 miles on it !

So vent on oil cap then rear driver side hooked into catch can and then out of catch can to intake right before it goes into the intake there is a small pcv valve then goes into intake ! what i was gonna add was another nipple to front drivers side then take the unused nipple on passanger side and connect it to new front drivers side and put two small filter in that line !
God i know makes know since but would it help?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

jrp that sounds remotely right but i got lost about 2/3 thru it.
you can do all that but as long as you have an open element on the oil fill, while you wont push your rear seal, you will also not have any real pcv.
are you in va by chance? i see you know steve.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of good info
Old 10-20-2013, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Fresh build (under 200 miles, LQ4 w/ LS3 heads, and cam'd) here and same issue with oil out dipstick tube. 3/4"nipple with breather on the cap for a fix ?....we'll see soon.

Last edited by Doug G; 10-20-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

adding a breather will always let pressure out the engine, however it will also always defeat the pcv system (unless that is you have a one way breather like i use on what i make.)

Quick Reply: HELP, 418 has to much crankcase pressure, blowing out everywher!!!!