Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Changing pistons. What machining work should i have done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Changing pistons. What machining work should i have done?

I have a SDPC LS2 402 stroker that I'm swapping pistons on. The motor has around 5, miles on it now. My question is, what items should i have a machine shop clean up while I have everything apart. I imagine SDPC did a decent amount of machining when they did the rod clearancing and what not. At the moment, I'm just trying to figure out what would be routine machining, vs what would be little to no gain for the cost. I'll also be having the heads cleaned up while it's all apart.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If all you are doing is changing pistons all you would really need would be a fresh hone to make sure you are working with a fresh surface. There wouldn't be anything else required for that type of work.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks John, that helps a ton hearing it right from a reputible sponsor.
More piece of mind (and money toward parts now).
Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also running a SDPC 402 with about 7k miles on it ... I am curious OP, why are you swapping the pistons?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't neglect the balance!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
I am also running a SDPC 402 with about 7k miles on it ... I am curious OP, why are you swapping the pistons?
Me too. The motor has 5 miles on it and you are swapping pistons? Going boost now or were you planning on boosting the motor and changed plans?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

I had to make a decision on lowering the compression ratio. I talked to Diamond Pistons about the piston that SDPC put in the 402's and they say its a great street/strip piston good up to ~700hp, but they wouldn't really recommend it if I was shooting way beyond that. And I really liked the ETP 245's I have on the motor now, and didn't really want to sell them unless I had to. So swapping in a good quality boost piston was the best choice for me. They'll have to be a custom piston though, as off-the-shelf ones seem to go from -15 to -28cc. I'd like to build it so I can run really low boost on 91 octane (if no e85 pumps are in range) or run e85 with the boost turned up and I don't think I'd really want to go under ~9.5:1 compression (still gotta find ideal compression range for e85). Unless I upgrade to an aftermarket PCM, 15psi would be my programming limit.

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Don't neglect the balance!
Thanks Matt, I was definately going to have the new assembly re-balanced, but it's good that's thrown in for anyone else reading this.

Quick Reply: Changing pistons. What machining work should i have done?