Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Engine Build for 69 Camaro and New to LS World

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I have some more questions.
I want to have around 550hp at the wheels. From some of the research I've done so far I want to find a junkyard LQ4/9 complete and then add L92/LS3 heads. That's about as far as I've decided on stuff so far.

I want to keep the engine carb'd and my camaro already has a muncie 4 speed in it with 12 bolt rear end. I was wondering if anyone has done any LS swaps into 1st gen camaros and what is all involved? I know I will need to get the MSD ignition box for this conversion. Will I be able to hook the LQ4/9 up to the muncie? By staying with a carb and only having to do the ignition box what sensors will I need to keep in the LQ4/9? Can I keep the same fuel system setup that's stock in the camaro since I'm staying with a carb?

I am still in the planning stages right now. Just want to make sure I have a plan so I get all of the right parts. Any other input you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Check the conversions section. There are several there that has completed their swap. They go into detail on what brackets and headers. Lots of info and they are more than helpful.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

You should look into a LY6. They replaced the LQ9, and already have the heads on them you are looking for. These engines are iron block, 6.0 liter, with VVT. You can remove the VVT if your not comfortable with modding it, but I left mine. It's actually cool technology that will make your engine feel bigger than it really is. Mast Motorsports experimented with the VVT stuff for over a year before the others caught on to the advantages of the technology. Bottom line is this: LY6 plus a Mast VVT camshaft, long tube headers, and a LS3 intake, and you have yourself an inexpensive 500 horsepower engine that will be reliable, AND driveable. And for me personally, 500 HP is plenty of go go for the street.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69z28camaro
I want to have around 550hp at the wheels. From some of the research I've done so far I want to find a junkyard LQ4/9 complete and then add L92/LS3 heads. That's about as far as I've decided on stuff so far.

I want to keep the engine carb'd and my camaro already has a muncie 4 speed in it with 12 bolt rear end. I was wondering if anyone has done any LS swaps into 1st gen camaros and what is all involved? I know I will need to get the MSD ignition box for this conversion. Will I be able to hook the LQ4/9 up to the muncie? By staying with a carb and only having to do the ignition box what sensors will I need to keep in the LQ4/9? Can I keep the same fuel system setup that's stock in the camaro since I'm staying with a carb?

I am still in the planning stages right now. Just want to make sure I have a plan so I get all of the right parts. Any other input you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
To get 550 rwhp you will need a lit more than an LQ4 with L92 heads. Figure about 15% loss in drive train - puts you way north of 600 flywheel. Takes a stout 408 to make 550 at the wheels - can be accomplished but it will take a good set of heads and a well thought out setup.

Hooker makes some swap headers as well as motor mounts. Hell even GM now makes a conversion pan for the early models. Do some research on accessory drive parts - not sure all will clear stock front sub frame.

Make sure to add up all the parts costs before pulling the trigger. As you now have a SBC car don't loose sight of a stroker version of the old guy - $10K can get you pretty close to 600 hp in a crate motor. You could have this in and be driving in a day.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69z28camaro

This summer I swapped an LS engine into my 1969 Camaro and retained the stock Muncie transmission. Quick time makes a bell housing that bolts up to the LS block and fits the Muncie trans. Everything fit perfectly and I was able to use the stock cross member. Here are the parts I used on my swap:

Quick time bell housing #QTI-RM-6036
Hooker motor mounts # HOK-12624HKR

Good luck with your project!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
You should look into a LY6. They replaced the LQ9, and already have the heads on them you are looking for. These engines are iron block, 6.0 liter, with VVT. You can remove the VVT if your not comfortable with modding it, but I left mine. It's actually cool technology that will make your engine feel bigger than it really is. Mast Motorsports experimented with the VVT stuff for over a year before the others caught on to the advantages of the technology. Bottom line is this: LY6 plus a Mast VVT camshaft, long tube headers, and a LS3 intake, and you have yourself an inexpensive 500 horsepower engine that will be reliable, AND driveable. And for me personally, 500 HP is plenty of go go for the street.
Isn't the LY6 more expensive to get? And don't think I would be able to use the VVT since I'm staying with a carb. I can pretty much get a LQ4/9 for around $800-1000 full engine from the junk yard. Is the only difference the heads and VVT pretty much?

I was just saying LQ4 with L92 heads as a start towards a 408. I would build the rest of the engine but don't know yet what else I would all go with yet. That's what I'm doing now is planning it all out and how much I will have spent in it. I know the crate engines are reasonably prices and have a lot of power but I would like the satisfaction of "I built this" type of feeling.

Check the conversions section. There are several there that has completed their swap. They go into detail on what brackets and headers. Lots of info and they are more than helpful.
Do you have any specific links to ones I can look at?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

The LY6 is gonna cost you more than say a LQ9, but its already got the heads you want. I was simply giving you an inexpensive route to follow. This stuff adds up fast. I have $4200 in my engine. That's with the cam kit, LS3 intake, and long tube headers. I know it can be had cheaper, because I paid way more for my LY6 than most on here. And of course you realize that going carb will add substantial cost, even if you have the carb already. The intake, and ignition control units are pricey. And you can always go to a 408 with your LY6 down the road. Does the price you listed for the LQ9 come with harness and accessories? There are a million small details that will eat a hole in your wallet fast in this game. Again, I'm just trying to save you some money.

Last edited by Che70velle; 12-01-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Grametorical errors
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
The LY6 is gonna cost you more than say a LQ9, but its already got the heads you want. I was simply giving you an inexpensive route to follow. This stuff adds up fast. I have $4200 in my engine. That's with the cam kit, LS3 intake, and long tube headers. I know it can be had cheaper, because I paid way more for my LY6 than most on here. And of course you realize that going carb will add substantial cost, even if you have the carb already. The intake, and ignition control units are pricey. And you can always go to a 408 with your LY6 down the road. Does the price you listed for the LQ9 come with harness and accessories? There are a million small details that will eat a hole in your wallet fast in this game. Again, I'm just trying to save you some money.
I understand what you're saying. I was just looking to see if I got an LQ4/9 for $800-1000 and then the L92 heads for $700 if it would still be cheaper than just getting an LY6. It looks like LY6 prices are around $1800-2000 which would be a little more or just the same. I would rather get new heads for $700 than to buy an LY6 that comes with them with higher miles.

For carb vs injection I think it would be cheaper to stay with a carb since that would just be intake and ignition module for me rather than the expense of converting to injection.

Those prices say they come with complete engines that include accessories. I'm all open for money savers and input. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Look at ls3 heads. Same price and lighter valves. If you go with stock internals budget for fly cutting if you want to run a food size cam.
Tsnow has a good write up with pics on his. There is 6-7 others that update often also. There is a sticky just for conversions on our cars. Lots of good info.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DirtyDirk
Look at ls3 heads. Same price and lighter valves. If you go with stock internals budget for fly cutting if you want to run a food size cam.
Tsnow has a good write up with pics on his. There is 6-7 others that update often also. There is a sticky just for conversions on our cars. Lots of good info.
Do you have a link to the sticky? I didn't see it in the conversions section

I will go with LS3 heads then. I didn't know that, I thought they were the same.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why are you dead set on the carb? no offense but fuel injection will offer better tuning and reliability than a carb setup will plus you can skip out on the msd box. I would do as said and get an ly6 engine with decent miles and swap an ls3 intake on it throw in a vvt cam and have at it. The result will be a car that is fun on the street and drives like stock when you want it to.

If you get an lq9 you will have to buy the new heads new springs, new gaskets etc. you will have new heads but honestly there really shouldnt be any significant wear on a lower mileage engine like the ly6. In the end the ly6 may even bea tad cheaper, you will also get the benefit of vvt which means you can run a larger cam and still retain your down low grunt.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
why are you dead set on the carb? no offense but fuel injection will offer better tuning and reliability than a carb setup will plus you can skip out on the msd box. I would do as said and get an ly6 engine with decent miles and swap an ls3 intake on it throw in a vvt cam and have at it. The result will be a car that is fun on the street and drives like stock when you want it to.

If you get an lq9 you will have to buy the new heads new springs, new gaskets etc. you will have new heads but honestly there really shouldnt be any significant wear on a lower mileage engine like the ly6. In the end the ly6 may even bea tad cheaper, you will also get the benefit of vvt which means you can run a larger cam and still retain your down low grunt.

I'm set on a carb because I want to keep the old school "no computer" kinda feel to the car. I know the ignition and that is computerized. My dad is a mechanic who I have learned all of my car skills from and my little brother is finishing up school for high performance to work on drag cars so they both have a good knowledge of carbs. I view tuning a carb easier than tuning fuel injection since I can do it myself. I've also read that it can be expensive to convert over to fuel injection (the rest of the car).
Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DaleTx
This summer I swapped an LS engine into my 1969 Camaro and retained the stock Muncie transmission. Quick time makes a bell housing that bolts up to the LS block and fits the Muncie trans. Everything fit perfectly and I was able to use the stock cross member. Here are the parts I used on my swap:

Quick time bell housing #QTI-RM-6036
Hooker motor mounts # HOK-12624HKR

Good luck with your project!
So these were the only two parts you needed for the swap? That makes it pretty easy. Did you encounter any other issues and how is it running for you now?

How much did you get the bell housing for? Summit is showing it for $578 didn't think it was that expensive....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Teching In

i wonder if that bellhousing is all that was needed,flywheel?

Quick Reply: Engine Build for 69 Camaro and New to LS World