Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
what size valves on the tfs 265s?
2.10"
Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
I think I have seen more square port heads over 140mph NA in the quarter than anything else. Ls7 especially.
You must not go to the track often then.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything ls7 with a cam is faster than 90 percent of the cathedral port NA stuff out there. Anything remotely serious is 140 or more in a decent chassis.. And 600+rwhp. Some even stock shortblock.. Not so easy with the old school cathedral stuff.

SAMs car is a bad bitch for being NA and they use c5r stuff which would still be considered square port? Pretty much Anyone building a serious street motor now uses the square port stuff.

If your going solid roller race car stuff, then it might not be the best option. But that's because of the valve train issues with solid stuff.

Intake to exhaust isn't everything. Fords old 4.6 stuff had some seriously badass intake to exhaust ratio and they were **** for NA.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Anything ls7 with a cam is faster than 90 percent of the cathedral port NA stuff out there. Anything remotely serious is 140 or more in a decent chassis.. And 600+rwhp. Some even stock shortblock.. Not so easy with the old school cathedral stuff.

SAMs car is a bad bitch for being NA and they use c5r stuff which would still be considered square port? Pretty much Anyone building a serious street motor now uses the square port stuff.

If your going solid roller race car stuff, then it might not be the best option. But that's because of the valve train issues with solid stuff.

Intake to exhaust isn't everything. Fords old 4.6 stuff had some seriously badass intake to exhaust ratio and they were **** for NA.
You're talking a head with a minimum of 4.1" bore vs a slew of cathedral offerings with bores from 3.78"+. Some of the fastest LS cars on the planet still get it done with cathedral ports. As mentioned earlier, intake flow is not even half the equation. Ford's old 4.6 stuff made great power N/A in the right hands...not to mention they were much smaller displacements. Square port heads make great power for the money, but they sure as hell aren't the end all be all.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fords old 4.6 stuff didn't make great NA power in anyone's hands.

And the fastest guys in the world with cath stuff are boosted.

A lot of the 8 second guys NA using square port stuff.

The hutter Gto. Uses all pros

Sam uses the c5r

Lashley used c5r

Everyone else in the 8s probably uses Mozez or canted valve heads from somewhere else. Who in the 8s uses cathedral stuff? Honeycutt? One car? Maybe one more? Did that Rodney something have a 8 second car that was similar to tooley top end?

I bet even most low 9 second NA cars aren't ping to be using cathedral stuff.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

Sam uses the c5r

Lashley used c5r

Everyone else in the 8s probably uses Mozez or canted valve heads from somewhere else. Who in the 8s uses cathedral stuff? Honeycutt? One car? Maybe one more? Did that Rodney something have a 8 second car that was similar to tooley top end?

You keep thinking that, I'll stick with my TFS and AFR's and keep kicking the square port stuff in the teeth.

It's been proven time and time again that they will make the same amount of power and I/E is way more important than just intake flow, and don't use the 4.6 arguement as it holds no merit in this conversation. It's an insanely smaller bore with insanely smaller ports that are going to flow like crap because of that. A 245cc TFS will flow 360cfm+ and 290cfm+ with the 265's breaking 390-400cfm+ and over 300cfm on the exhaust in the right hands and it doesn't take much.

Find me a square port head that can touch both of those numbers.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why you talking flow numbers? I was talking about track passes? Are there more cath port or square port heads in the 8s NA?

Answer that. Then come back as tell me why.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

thats pretty good out of a 2.100 valve. 115 cfm/sq inch. pretty good for a wedge head! Does have a 55 degree vj tho i bet...who did the work?

only cathedral port head from what i have seen thats impressive is honeycutts...naturally aspirated. boosted setups will not make a huge difference in cathedral vs square port especially for what alot of these guys are doing. imo once u start getting into 98+mm turbos and f1r/x/f2 does the top end become more of a factor.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Sam uses the c5r

Lashley used c5r

You really don't have a clue do you. I made 430 to the wheels on 11.7:1 B headed 4.6...fwhp made that over 100hp/L. How is that unimpressive? Yet a 7.0L LS7 making 600rwhp is? Your thought process is seriously skewed. The fact is, we can't definitively say for sure which head will make more power at this point, we just don't have enough information. I'd like to know a lot more about the combination before making asinine assumptions like you have. The question was the best head...but for what purpose? A lot of missing information you would have to agree.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How did you get 11.7:1 compression in a 4v?

I have built a couple of 4.6 That's the major problem with 4v is their lack of compression and compression options. 10:1 with flat tops? And who makes a domed pistons..

And yeah 430rwhp NA is not impressive
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And no he asked what to use a 225 tfs? Or a ls7? Hands down ls7 is a better head. No more info needed. End of story. Cheaper and would make more power and go faster.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
You keep thinking that, I'll stick with my TFS and AFR's and keep kicking the square port stuff in the teeth.

It's been proven time and time again that they will make the same amount of power and I/E is way more important than just intake flow, and don't use the 4.6 arguement as it holds no merit in this conversation. It's an insanely smaller bore with insanely smaller ports that are going to flow like crap because of that. A 245cc TFS will flow 360cfm+ and 290cfm+ with the 265's breaking 390-400cfm+ and over 300cfm on the exhaust in the right hands and it doesn't take much.

Find me a square port head that can touch both of those numbers.
Probably wasting your time trying to convince this bloke how good they are Martin, It appears that he thinks his opinion is correct and the only one that should be considered.

Maybe he knows some thing that many experts don't??
Old 09-12-2012, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gouldy
Probably wasting your time trying to convince this bloke how good they are Martin, It appears that he thinks his opinion is correct and the only one that should be considered.

Maybe he knows some thing that many experts don't??
He also says that everyone should use TR6 plugs in their 13.5:1 compression motors while spraying 350hp worth of nitrous even after melting plugs and admitting it.

He's special forgive him.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I have seen more square port heads over 140mph NA in the quarter than anything else. Ls7 especially.
For every thought out strong square port combo there is at the track there are 4 cathedral port motors preforming just as well if not better. Yes they are out there and i'm not saying they don't work but they don't have as good of port velocity and are harder to cam.

Trust me I had been looking into some single plane and square port stuff and was asking around (i'm a trickflow guy) and everyone pretty much agreed unless your going aftermarket ls7 casting to stay catherdral.

Even with a strong flowing aftermartket ls7 head like a PRC or MAST the power band is not going to be as strong as a nice pair of cathedral port heads. This is important for a street car.

And this is from people that haven't melted pistons using too hot plugs.

LMAO Martin I had forgotten about that thread until now, I didn't realize this was the same guy

Last edited by My6speedZ; 09-12-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Launching!

And no he asked what to use a 225 tfs? Or a ls7? Hands down ls7 is a better head. No more info needed. End of story. Cheaper and would make more power and go faster.
I completely agree....the OP's question was not "who can sell me a set of aftermarket heads and blow smoke up my ***"

I was which is better 225 TFS or LS7 GM casting. IF those are your only heads to work with the LS7 would clearly be the better choice
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

He said he was "considering" these heads typically in my experiences this means that they are just looking around at heads.

When someone is forced to pick between two especially when one is not really a normal choice they give reason ie. i already have them, i got a good deal on, blah blah.

If you opened the chambers to fit that bore I bet they would do better than you expect. Lots of guys making nice numbers with small runner cathedral stuff on larger bores. Great make to make nice average power.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by A_VAS
I completely agree....the OP's question was not "who can sell me a set of aftermarket heads and blow smoke up my ***"

I was which is better 225 TFS or LS7 GM casting. IF those are your only heads to work with the LS7 would clearly be the better choice
I don't think anyone here is trying to sell anyone anything.

My smoke blower is broken if that makes you feel any better.

If you want to know what the best heads for a 440 are find out yourself the hard way like everyone that came before us did instead of having a great place to discuss topics like this and actually hear both sides of the coin like you can here on LS1Tech.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I own a square port motor that makes 530 lb of torque. And Barely needs to be reved to 6k to make power. Where does all this ls7 and ls3 doesn't make torque come from?

Are you people regurgitating info? Or have you put together combos and are speaking from experience. Anyone else want to comepare dyno sheets with me?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like this combo has been going on for years. And again it's the opinions and theories of guys that have done it. Against someone who has actually put some **** together.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=957715&page=2

Seems like he does mention more torque in a cath port motor. But the ls3 examples are still making 485 and 470 torque in a stock stroke motor. Doesn't seem too torque less to me?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I'm telling you is what I was shown from people that do this **** all the time and were trying to help me not waste my money. Not a sponsor trying to tell me something to take it.

Get what I'm saying? I'm talking about people that regularly pull down numbers faster then I will ever go.

When these guys talk, I listen. They clearly know more than I ever will. When all of them but two tell me to keep my Trickflows over going square port I think that speaks pretty clearly.

You can look long enough and hard enough to find a dyno graph to agree with anything you say.

From the two listed I (and most people judging from this thread) wouldn't pick either for a 440, that's what we believe and trying to make us feel stupid for suggesting AFR's or Trickflow's is not going to make us change our minds either so get over it and move on.

Half the time when we get to discussing heads we are comparing flow numbers that
A: either take place at lifts outside what our engine will actually see just to try and "win" the argument or
B: don't even matter because we can only flow so much through our intake

Best thing to do is use them to get as idea of what the head is able to do in a nutshell, pick one and get the rest of your engine efficient enough to make me the most of them. Intake/exhaust efficiency, weight, gear ratio, valve timing, tire sizing, power adder,chassis, suspension... so much more goes into making a fast combo that just what heads to get.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
All I'm telling you is what I was shown from people that do this **** all the time and were trying to help me not waste my money. Not a sponsor trying to tell me something to take it.

Get what I'm saying? I'm talking about people that regularly pull down numbers faster then I will ever go.

When these guys talk, I listen. They clearly know more than I ever will. When all of them but two tell me to keep my Trickflows over going square port I think that speaks pretty clearly.

You can look long enough and hard enough to find a dyno graph to agree with anything you say.

From the two listed I (and most people judging from this thread) wouldn't pick either for a 440, that's what we believe and trying to make us feel stupid for suggesting AFR's or Trickflow's is not going to make us change our minds either so get over it and move on.

Half the time when we get to discussing heads we are comparing flow numbers that
A: either take place at lifts outside what our engine will actually see just to try and "win" the argument or
B: don't even matter because we can only flow so much through our intake

Best thing to do is use them to get as idea of what the head is able to do in a nutshell, pick one and get the rest of your engine efficient enough to make me the most of them. Intake/exhaust efficiency, weight, gear ratio, valve timing, tire sizing, power adder,chassis, suspension... so much more goes into making a fast combo that just what heads to get.
Best post in this thread.

Quick Reply: the best heads for a 440