Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

GM MLS LS9 Head Gasket Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default GM MLS LS9 Head Gasket Questions

Before I set down my new head gaskets and torque them to spec I have a few questions. I have a 2005 LS2 that I am installing heads, cam, and a Maggie (10lbs of boost) on. I pulled the heads to install new lifters, and have some light port work done. They took off .004 when they shaved them, and they are supposedly totally flat.

I purchased a set of GM MLS 7 Layer Gaskets from GM Parts House. I have never installed head gaskets on an LS motor before. In addition I purchased a set of ARP Head bolts.

Last Gen I small block I used Indian Gasket Sealer on. I am getting mixed reviews on GM Gaskets in general. Some say to use copper sealer between layers, others are stating put them on dry.... I guess a good place to start is to ask how GM installed them, if anyone knows?

Second question is on the ARP head bolts. They call for 25ft/lbs for the small bolts and 75 ft/lbs for the large bolts, tightened in three equal amounts. So I am thinking this is 6/12/25 and 25/50/75? I have a standard Clicking Snap-on Torque wrench, is this suitable?

In addition I am using the ARP lube... do any of these bolts go through water jackets where I need to use specialized sealer in addition?

Last question, do ARP bolts need to be re-torqued after a certain Mileage?

If you guys could provide me with any good information, tips, or tricks (an LS2 tightening sequence would be nice as well) It would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
DG
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I install head gaskets dry with no issues at all, clean and prep block surface, remove gasket from package and set on block.

Head bolts do not require special sealer? And yes you are correct in your thinking about torque specs.

Unfortunately I don't have the torque sequence or else I'd post up.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here you go on the torque sequence,
The top bolts will only need one pass, the other bigger ones will need 2 more.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the diagram!

Anybody else have an opinion on the installation of these gaskets?

DG
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, even though a digital torque wrench is the bees knees when it comes to proper quench, a good click-style wrench will work just dandy.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost Silverado
By the way, even though a digital torque wrench is the bees knees when it comes to proper quench, a good click-style wrench will work just dandy.
That's good to know,

I see most people using digital ones, however I have had mine for 10 years and it seem to work well. Its a snap on so I was hoping it would be suitable for this project.

DG

Quick Reply: GM MLS LS9 Head Gasket Questions