Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

408 Build List??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 Build List??

I am wanting to build a Nasty N/A 408 but still have street manners.

I just need to know what parts I need to make this motor fit in my 98 Firebird. Any help weill be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Are you going with the lq9 block? how much hp and tp you wanting to have and what kind of money you wanting to spend?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, post up your goals and budget to give us some starting point. Is there any special reason you want the 408?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Well I want to build a big V8 N/A motor thats a king on the streets and a player on the track. I was looking at the 408 because I can get the motor for cheap and I see a lot of people do it and make over 500hp. the buget isn't an issue cuz I will be building a little at a time. I want it done right.

If there is a different you suggest I am open for any suggestions cuz I have not started the build.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Well if it was me, I would be looking at maybe a LS3 or LS7 aluminum block motor. You can get crazy power out of them and still have your street manors. If you are 100% positive that it will stay a N/A motor that is a good route to take a look at. Make sure you are not going to want to add any kind of power adder down the road when building a new motor. Build it right the first time and save yourself some headaches. If you are looking into adding a little bit of nitrous that wouldn't really change anything but a lot of nitrous or boost will changes what pistons you use and your valvetrain. Try and stick to a 4" stroke with whatever you build, causes less headaches. If money is not an issue then talk with one of the sponsors on here and get some help spec'ing the whole motor out from the beginning. You can throw something together, but there is no guarantee that it will work right together. Gotta have the right heads and cam combo to make great power.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Thackdaddy43
I am wanting to build a Nasty N/A 408 but still have street manners.

I just need to know what parts I need to make this motor fit in my 98 Firebird. Any help weill be appreciated. Thanks guys.
I am in the same position and i have never taken this task on before. I have to say it's kind of confusing. I have an 01 ws6 in which the motor blew. Now i need to build a motor that i want to keep N/A. I would like to have around 600 HP. I've been looking at going the ls3 route myself, bit i want to get the block and do a custom build vs the crate. I'm just not sure how to reach my goal exactly. I haven't set any kind of budget. I want it to be strong but reliable. Thanks for your all your help and i am open to ideas.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Would I be better off buying an LS3 or an LQ9?? What would be the difference??
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Thackdaddy43
Would I be better off buying an LS3 or an LQ9?? What would be the difference??
you can do a ls3 stroker or lq9 stroker but as far as dropping it in the lq9 is going to be easier than the ls3
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by josh2002-ws6
Well if it was me, I would be looking at maybe a LS3 or LS7 aluminum block motor. You can get crazy power out of them and still have your street manors. If you are 100% positive that it will stay a N/A motor that is a good route to take a look at. Make sure you are not going to want to add any kind of power adder down the road when building a new motor. Build it right the first time and save yourself some headaches. If you are looking into adding a little bit of nitrous that wouldn't really change anything but a lot of nitrous or boost will changes what pistons you use and your valvetrain. Try and stick to a 4" stroke with whatever you build, causes less headaches. If money is not an issue then talk with one of the sponsors on here and get some help spec'ing the whole motor out from the beginning. You can throw something together, but there is no guarantee that it will work right together. Gotta have the right heads and cam combo to make great power.
Great advice right here.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

I have been kicking around the idea of either LS2 and LS3 so I can keep the aluminum block and put a big stroke in it.

Quick Reply: 408 Build List??