Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Arp Main studs necessary for 700+hp Ls3/L92 418?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have used the stock main bolts,4 years of running 9s with my turbo setup,Geez they are 6 bolt main from GM way better then we had back in the hayday of muscle cars ,when they wanted to drill and splay the 2 bolt mains..lol like i said four years of running stock main bolts,I also only had ARP head bolts,only after i raised the boost too 24.5psi did i start to get alil head lift,when i ran it really hard. but then again everyone has a diffrent experience.if your loaded go for the gusto if not make what ya got work!!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,230 Posts

Originally Posted by rcsfastmonte
I also have used the stock main bolts,4 years of running 9s with my turbo setup,Geez they are 6 bolt main from GM way better then we had back in the hayday of muscle cars ,when they wanted to drill and splay the 2 bolt mains..lol like i said four years of running stock main bolts,I also only had ARP head bolts,only after i raised the boost too 24.5psi did i start to get alil head lift,when i ran it really hard. but then again everyone has a diffrent experience.if your loaded go for the gusto if not make what ya got work!!
So just to clarify this to the OP, and others as well, how much HP are you running on your factory bottom end bolts?

I have to giggle at threads like this one. If GM figured out a way to make a block with 10 bolt mains, people would still spend the mony on the "upgrade".
Now on the top of the block, I can understand the use of better hardware, since GM went from 17 head bolts to 10 actual head bolts, per cylinder head. I'm sorry, the 5 small bolts across the top of the head, at the intake, do nothing to seal the chamber, and I'm glad GM 86'd them on the gen 5.
I'm not trying to belittle anybody here at all. I'm just saying you really don't need the studs, under MOST circumstances. Here is a 9 second GTO with stock bottom end main fasteners.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to agree with you,we already have 6 bolt mains,hell I ran 16 psi on a stock ls2 for over 3 years with and without race fuel,most people dont see near the power i have right now with the combo I ran my car had 1000-1100hp to the rear tires,that was with a ls2 aluminum block.do the math 4100lb car 147mph in 1320 feet.
I can see serious race cars with all out builds,adding the bigger better studs,but not every one needs them nor are they gunning for 7 seconds.
Engine builders suggest them to protect their butts when they sell you a motor.
I am not knocking anyones ideas,just stating the experiences i have seen.

Quick Reply: Arp Main studs necessary for 700+hp Ls3/L92 418?