Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Comp trunion upgrade failure (Check yours)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Victorf,

How's the weather?

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, I did mine on an arbor press, kept everything clean, pre-lubed it all with assembly lube, and it went without a hitch. They all felt really smooth, and they run quiet. I think using a vise - that is a less precise way to disassemble and re-asemble the rockers - vice jaws aren't necessarily parallel and it's a little more challenging to line everything up. A nice little arbor press is fairly inexpensive and does a much better job. Doing 16 rockers on a vise - I can see how a couple of them could get crooked - but not saying that is necessarily what happened to the OP..

The screws - Those SHCSs comp provided are way off base for my engine, anyway - about 1/4" too long. I ended up re-using the stock screws with an AN washer under the cap. That fit perfect, and had slightly more thread engagement than with the stock trunions. The screws Comp provided allowed the unthreaded shank to protrude a couple mm below the bottom of the trunion and, even if you shortened the screws to fit, this would jam its way into the threads slightly. Not a good fit either way. Without the AN washer, the stock screws shank also protruded from the bottom of the trunion slightly, so be careful what you do with the screws.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 08-09-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYZNTN
Victorf,

How's the weather?

Thanks for the input.
Oahu was spared from the last storm! Weather is unbelievable today - maybe it is the calm before the looming hurricane next week?

I finished heat cycling my newly installed 4:10 ring/pinion, last week completed with over 500 self restraint patient miles, so I am very anxious going for my stop light to stop light thrill today on my fair weather ride.

Glad to have helped in any way!

Old 08-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Glad to hear the storm wasn't too bad. I lived in Florida for many, many years so I've seen a hurricane or three. As far as the trunions, it's good to hear that others have had no issues, gives me more confidence that if I go there then mine will be fine.

Have fun with the new gears.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing my 614/624 lift cam install now in my 2013 GS A6 car. Should I bother with the trunion upgrade? The stock LS3 units are very reliable.

All opinions are welcomed.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

.596/.600 here on stockers. 4th season, Sees 7000 1-4 at least once every single time it's out, which is often. No issues.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
I am doing my 614/624 lift cam install now in my 2013 GS A6 car. Should I bother with the trunion upgrade? The stock LS3 units are very reliable.

All opinions are welcomed.
I would. I have the upgrade in mine and havent had one issue. Infact i was shocked when i stumbled upon this thread. I havent heard of anyone having issues out of the stock upgraded rockers. They are very very reliable in street applications. I didnt read through all these pages as time wont allow it. I also see that this happend 2 years ago. The lift he had on that cam really should have had adjustables. Stockers are great. IMO, i think he was pushing the limits being close to .700 lift. Its a better piece of mind.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

I too just found a broken C clip on my setup. I'm changing over to comp cams shaft mounts which by chance are made by T&D so I'm told by TSP. I wanted to get away from the c clips all together
Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Been watching this with a lot of interest. Planning on a cam for my LS4 - for a street legal track car (road track, not 1/4)
I can't help but think of some other math, tho.... and really really don't want to start a flame war... but:
If CC is selling this kit (P/N 13702 I think) for $138 then they are buying it for about $69 give or take a few cents.
That means someone has manufactured this set and sold it at a profit for that price, so the mfr's cost was ballparkish (?) $50. They paid their employees out of that, leaving some fraction (now $25?) for buying the mat'l; machining, heat treating, QC, inspection, assembly, packaging and shipping.
I have to think the pressure on the maker to hurry and get all these done and out could easily lead to a skipped step, a bit too much of a hurry, etc.

Even if all the fractions above are a lot tighter; ie profits are more in the $20 range, you get what I am thinking? There just isn't that much in the first place to make all these parts and assemble them and get them out the door...

Trouble is, it is hard to tell who has the high quality to go with the higher price... or if they are just cranking the price up for profit purposes. Not sure how you go about that one except exactly what just happened here; DC did a really good field test and report of a product and followed up with a time-tested solution (along with comment on the mfr's response...)
All good stuff.
Makes these forums worth their weight in gold! Thanks for sharing all the info.
Not sure what I'm going to do now; I need to look up these guys who will bush them in place of the rollers.
Thx
GP

Last edited by 85-308; 10-27-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just stumbling across this thread years later.

I did a top end rebuild around the time this thread was created and took the forum advice to upgrade the trunion bearings while I was in there because some of the early LS1/6 needle bearings had come apart, made a mess, and that caged bearings were the way to go.

I haven't had an issue with mine or suspected anything for the last 71k over 5 years that I've had them installed, but now I'm tempted to pull a valve cover to inspect them. I do still have the stock LS6 cam and springs, however, so I would imagine it's been a little friendlier in my daily driver than in engines used for racing.

I should be getting my car back from the body shop this week and it will need an oil change, so I may pull a valve cover and check one or two of these rockers out while I'm at it. Posting this here may subconsciously make me more accountable for that intention. I'll post back with pics of my findings.

FWIW, I installed them with a bench vice turned on its side and clamped to an upright. Removed the old ones with a pair of sockets. I now own a hydraulic arbor press, but bought that years later for a different task.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:40 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

North of 175k miles ( 300k ) we change em. Otherwise stockers here. Still on stockers on my 6.2 and no issues.

I tell you what though, when I used to drink? I was a sloppy poster. Yeesh
Old 11-23-2017, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I finally got around to this last weekend, but I only pulled one. There was some slight marring from wear in one spot, perhaps from a particle that got trapped in there, but otherwise everything looked fine so I pressed the bearing back in and reassembled. Not bad for 75k.

For some reason, even on the Macro setting, I couldn't get the camera to focus very well. This was the best shot I could get.

Quick Reply: Comp trunion upgrade failure (Check yours)