Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

416-418 ls3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 416-418 ls3?

Im looking at stroking my LS3 and wanted to ask some opinions on rotating assemblies. My block is pretty fresh and I wander if there is a stroker kit that uses the stock bore. It would be nice to do a hone and put it together without paying a machine shop to work the block. Is there such an animal? And who makes a reasonably priced setup w H beam rods and forged pistons and crank?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your bore stays the same but the right way to do it would be to hone it for new rings, Ls3 bores cannot be "bored". All your doing is stroking it. You still need a machine shop see if there are no clearance issues with the rods. TSP has some pretty good prices and other options as well as free shipping. Don't cheap out, do it once and do it right or pay twice. Just my .2
Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock bore on an LS3/L92 block is 4.065.

The pistons that come with a 416 rotating assembly are 4.070

The pistons that come with a 418 rotating assembly are 4.080

So no matter what, machining will take place to make it work.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been kinda hot on the 3.9" crank stroker kits for the big bore motors.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I have been kinda hot on the 3.9" crank stroker kits for the big bore motors.
I kind of like that idea too. You can roll with almost 400 cubes still and get a nice piston in the bore too. Works very well for boosted applications.

AES carries a 410 cube motor but thats a bigger bore of 4.130 IIRC
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a good machine shop about an hour away, I just wanted to build it at home without farming anything.
I am trying to figure out the best way to go for a little more spunk in the ol LS3, not that its a slouch now. I either want some TS LS3 aftermarket heads, a Pat G grind, GMMP dual plane intake or Stroke the LS3 to a 416, but I would have to keep the stock LS3 heads and Eddy vic jr, but would still get Pat to grind a cam.
I know the stroker would ace the head/cam combo on torque, but with 17in wheels ( because of over sized rear brakes) I dont know if I could use the extra torque off the line. I think the HP would be close between the two, but the stock stroke would be spinnng higher to get there ON a stock bottom end.
With all that said, the car is more of an all around car, not a drag car. It has AC,PB,PS and the Hotchkis TVS suspension. With the stiff suspension, again it would be hard to get the extra torque to the ground at the track.
Maybe I should start a poll to see what others think about it. Help me figure it out guys.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can take the LS3 block all the way out to 4.100" on a NA build if your feeling friskey. Alot of top shops bore the LS3 blocks all the time.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't know about the LS3 blocks, but my general experience is that the factory hones are horrid. It's not uncommon to see over .001" taper and out of round with the torque plate bolted up.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newschool72
I have a good machine shop about an hour away, I just wanted to build it at home without farming anything.
I am trying to figure out the best way to go for a little more spunk in the ol LS3, not that its a slouch now. I either want some TS LS3 aftermarket heads, a Pat G grind, GMMP dual plane intake or Stroke the LS3 to a 416, but I would have to keep the stock LS3 heads and Eddy vic jr, but would still get Pat to grind a cam.
I know the stroker would ace the head/cam combo on torque, but with 17in wheels ( because of over sized rear brakes) I dont know if I could use the extra torque off the line. I think the HP would be close between the two, but the stock stroke would be spinnng higher to get there ON a stock bottom end.
With all that said, the car is more of an all around car, not a drag car. It has AC,PB,PS and the Hotchkis TVS suspension. With the stiff suspension, again it would be hard to get the extra torque to the ground at the track.
Maybe I should start a poll to see what others think about it. Help me figure it out guys.

Your TVS suspension is great for the street but not ideal for the drag strip. A set of Cal-Tracs would probably help especially with drag radial tires. Ideally you would swap the shocks and front springs but that would mean taking out a bunch of new parts you just installed.

My recommendation would be to keep the LS3 displacement. Have your existing LS3 heads reworked by AI and let them spec you a cam as well. Gen V guys are getting 500 rwhp with this combo - you might generate a little more peak power with the Vic Jr intake.

Quick Reply: 416-418 ls3?