Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oiling system

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oiling system

I am currently building a Warhawk LS7X 9.8" tall deck nitrous motor to go into my 2002 Trans-Am. The motor will be a solid roller and drag race only. It will be a 4.125 bore X 4.250 stroke to make it a 454. I plan on spraying 500 to 700 between 2 stages of direct port. I will only be spinning the motor to 8,000 RPM's max due to the longer stroke. I will be going with a Jesel belt drive. My question is, should I go with a dry sump oil system or will the conventional oiling style system be ok for my application? Thank you.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking into account all the money I know that cost you id do it right and get a true dry sump
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
Taking into account all the money I know that cost you id do it right and get a true dry sump
Oh yeah, I am not worried about the cost. I am not going to ruin my 30,000 dollar motor by being cheap. I just don't really know the purpose of the dry sump oiling system. If it will be the safe route to go with my motor, I am all in and will get one. I see a Aviaid 4 stage system for sale in the for sale section on here. I am looking for the reasoning of getting the dry sump system over a conventional oil pump system.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Drag race only, I would just get a good oil pan to control oil slosh and an accusump. Dry sumps are good for road race where high g loads push oil away from the pickup. Nothing wrong with one in a drag car, but an unneeded expense in my opinion.

The accusump will retain oil pressure if something happens and the oil pressure drops for whatever reason.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides reducing windage loss a dry sump guarantees a constant oil supply to the pump that is non aerated and the added volume allows the oil time to cool. Since it is belt driven at approximately 50-70% crank speed the pump is able to fill more completely than the factory crank mounted pump turning at full RPM,s. The scavenge side creates crankcase vacuum which is always good and the pressure is adjustable with a screw which is nice with aluminum rods and loose bearings if you plan to spray that much. If you are spending that much on the engine I wouldn't stop at the oiling system.
As mentioned an accusump would work in a Drag application, but wouldn't have the other benefits. Spraying that much with wide ring gaps you will need some kind of vacuum pump anyhow.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by josh2002-ws6
I am currently building a Warhawk LS7X 9.8" tall deck nitrous motor to go into my 2002 Trans-Am. The motor will be a solid roller and drag race only. It will be a 4.125 bore X 4.250 stroke to make it a 454. I plan on spraying 500 to 700 between 2 stages of direct port. I will only be spinning the motor to 8,000 RPM's max due to the longer stroke. I will be going with a Jesel belt drive. My question is, should I go with a dry sump oil system or will the conventional oiling style system be ok for my application? Thank you.
LS engines are bad about aerated oil. A good dry sump system will definetely help.

Regardless, with the Jesel belt drive, I don't think you have much of a choice. Unless the design has changed, the original passage from the pump to the main galley will get machined off, so if you do a wet sump, it wont be with a traditional pump and it will be about as custom and costly as a dry sump.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quick Carl
Besides reducing windage loss a dry sump guarantees a constant oil supply to the pump that is non aerated and the added volume allows the oil time to cool. Since it is belt driven at approximately 50-70% crank speed the pump is able to fill more completely than the factory crank mounted pump turning at full RPM,s. The scavenge side creates crankcase vacuum which is always good and the pressure is adjustable with a screw which is nice with aluminum rods and loose bearings if you plan to spray that much. If you are spending that much on the engine I wouldn't stop at the oiling system.
As mentioned an accusump would work in a Drag application, but wouldn't have the other benefits. Spraying that much with wide ring gaps you will need some kind of vacuum pump anyhow.
Ok, I am going with the dry sump system. Will the accusump work with the dry sump? I had been looking at a GZ motorsports vacuum pump kit already. Is it recommended to run the vacuum pump with the dry sump kit?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh2002-ws6
Ok, I am going with the dry sump system. Will the accusump work with the dry sump? I had been looking at a GZ motorsports vacuum pump kit already. Is it recommended to run the vacuum pump with the dry sump kit?
You can run a vacuum pump with a dry sump, but I would wait and see how the dry sump does by itself. There is such a thing as too much vacuum that can pull oil out of the bearings, so vents are available for the valve covers that will stop that. The number, size and manufacturer of the scavenge stages on the dry sump will determine the volume of air the pump can move by itself. Give them a call with what you are doing and they will get you the right set-up.
KCS is right about the JESEL belt drive requiring an external pump. I blew right past that reading your original post
Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call peterson or daily for the dry sump. Aviad is not as good IMHO
I would not even consider a wet sump for a high power aplication

Quick Reply: Oiling system