Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

brand new comp lifter collapsed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default brand new comp lifter collapsed?

Hey guys,
It's been a while since I've looked in the internal section. I have a 408 lsx that has never been started (mostly due to a twin turbo build that's taking forever since I have no free time). I have comp lifters in them. I assembled the valve train and set preload etc. Everything went together fine. I let the engine sit for a while. I occasionally turned the engine over so it wouldn't have the same valve springs pressed for extended periods of time. I was putting some new valve covers on and I decided to check everything again since I had the covers off. I rolled the engine over and pressed all the rockers to check the lifters. #5 has one that just bottoms out with no spring action to it. I depressed the rocker arm and it's solid as a rock and sit's about an 1/8" lower than the other pushrod after I removed the rocker arms. My question is: Is it possible to go ahead and try to pressurize the oil system up and see if I can get that lifter to pump up? Could it just be froze up? Input please. Where can I get a setup to prime the engine and where is the port on the lsx block to pressure up. If the head has to come off I'll be so frickin pissed. It's studded and more or less I'll have to pull the brand new engine right back out of my freshly painted engine bay! Thanks guys
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd pull the spark plugs, hook a battery to the starter, fill the crankcase and spin the motor on the stand with the valve covers off and see if it pumps up.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were the comp lifters new?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

uhh ya hence the topic lol
Any other ideas or moral support lol I don't want to pull this damn thing back out. Surely theres no way for one to fail just sitting there with just spring pressure on it. If that's the case then they'll surely fail when the engine is actually started. Where can one find a priming tool. Someone has made one before but I can't recall what the name of guy is who sells it. Where's the port on the block? Thanks Chris
Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the video. I know where the port is now. I'll give that a shot.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well,
I figured I would update the thread here. I got a gear style pump and plumbed into the port on the side of the block. Ran 7 quarts through the sytem. I did get the lifter to pump up after I took off the rocker arm assembly off of the head. It would pump up and then bleed down very fast to its previous position. There is no "spring" action to it. It settles down to the bottom and is solid. I continued to mess with it and finally got it to stay pumped up for a short amount of time and didn't bleed back as fast, but it still eventually bled off. Any ideas? Run it? Pull it and jam it up comp's ***? What do ya all think. Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would at least call comp and see what they say! Give them a chance! With that being said, from my past experience, I will never buy another comp cams product as long as I live! I'll leave it at that. Maby it's just my luck!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, for those who are wondering if its possible to change out a lifter with the head on.....it's possible. That's the good news. Bad news (for comp) is that the lifter was indeed collapsed. I haven't dissected it since I'm going to send it back to get my crumby 14 dollars back. You'd think they would have sent me another one just to make things right, but I guess things must be stingy over there at comp. No help was really offered just a sorry for your luck type comment and that'll be fourteen dollars thank you. Well hopefully I at least get the money back and just forget about all the bullshit I just went through to change it out. I'm confused on what final assembly is. Everything was assembled before this crap happened. Thanks comp cams.

Quick Reply: brand new comp lifter collapsed?