Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

A little advice?ported 243s and ls2 intake or ls3 heads and intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How exactly are ls3 heads new technology? Aside from the obvious, they dont have anything the older heads didnt.

I understand if you are saying they are just newer, but that doesnt mean better.

If the OP ever wants to go with more cubes and a bigger bore then changing heads would be a obvious move. But he already has the 243 castings, and theres no mention of going bigger.

If you go with ls3 heads just know valve timing is absolutely crutial, go with a proven cam, and bear in mind not all the ls3 cams are going to work because youre gonna have ptv clearance issues. If you want to flycut thats fine and dandy, but otherwise be careful what you pick.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TZ2884
What, if any, modifications need to be made to the ls3 head to run it on a 4" bore?
Nothing.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zero point zero
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Launching!

valves in ls3 heads are massive compared to cathedral port heads which max out at 2.08 valves unless your buy a set of high dollar all pro heads that come with big valves. the ports are shapped different and tend to flow higher number hence why gm went with the new design
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Wow, a lot of over generalizing info here, but I do not feel like arguing.

LS3's will also work just fine and you can make power, you just have to know what your doing . But this is a heavy cathedral port community site.
Come on Bozz. We've been down this road too many times. About all you have left here are post ****** puking up misinformation over and over again as if they have a ******* idea what they're talking about. It's really unfortunate the people who come come here for REAL information are fed a steady diet of unsupported BS.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tainted
How exactly are ls3 heads new technology? Aside from the obvious, they dont have anything the older heads didnt.

I understand if you are saying they are just newer, but that doesnt mean better.

If the OP ever wants to go with more cubes and a bigger bore then changing heads would be a obvious move. But he already has the 243 castings, and theres no mention of going bigger.

If you go with ls3 heads just know valve timing is absolutely crutial, go with a proven cam, and bear in mind not all the ls3 cams are going to work because youre gonna have ptv clearance issues. If you want to flycut thats fine and dandy, but otherwise be careful what you pick.

Yeah I don't plan on going bigger right now. Probably just a 4.005-4.010 hone. I'd kicked around the idea of going with a 4" stroke but I thought the money would be better spent in the top end.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Either route you go you are gonna make good power. Myself, id stay with the cathedrals, and obviously others are gonna say opposite. If you want to see some 6.0 combos with ls3 stuff check out the g8 section. Theres some great combos in there.

**oh and maybe some others will share their vast, perfect database of knowledge clearly they have all the right answers too.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Come on Bozz. We've been down this road too many times. About all you have left here are post ****** puking up misinformation over and over again as if they have a ******* idea what they're talking about. It's really unfortunate the people who come come here for REAL information are fed a steady diet of unsupported BS.
I know right

Same ****, different toilet.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I created this thread in the hopes of getting REAL information since I'm spending my REAL money and I want to get the best value I can. I'm open to everyone's opinions because I know I'm not that knowledgeable on these engines. I like to hear as many opinions and really understand why someone has that opinion so that I can make an informed decision.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Launching!

had some dart 250cc cathedral cnc heads on my 404 made awsome power with those heads
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wkmcd doesnt like me very much. Like I said, the ls3 stuff can make good power, its been proven. In fact heres one ive had book marked forever now. The avg power was great all the way across.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-446rwtq.html

But, if ls3 stuff on the small bore engine were the end all be all answer then I guess everyone who used cathedral castings is a ******* idiot, and everyone should do the ls3 heads.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
Wkmcd doesnt like me very much. Like I said, the ls3 stuff can make good power, its been proven. In fact heres one ive had book marked forever now. The avg power was great all the way across.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-446rwtq.html

But, if ls3 stuff on the small bore engine were the end all be all answer then I guess everyone who used cathedral castings is a ******* idiot, and everyone should do the ls3 heads.
Thanks, you've been very helpful
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Call AI, TEA, EPS, TSP and ask them what they think would be your best route. They all deal with ls3 and ls1 stuff so they should have a very educated answer and can better explain all the points made in this thread.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What, if any, modifications need to be made to the ls3 head to run it on a 4" bore?
None, you can just slap them on there with the appropriate intake manifold.

Although as mentioned, they are not optimal for that bore. For the price they really can't be beat, but in terms of all out performance a smaller cathedral port will be the better choice.

Maybe if you had a 4.030 bore it might be more beneficial to go with the big valves, but at the standard 4.000 bore it's not. You will be greatly limited by cam size choice and milling.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM
DK
Staging Lane

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I do have a related question..

In general, are the rect ports thought to flow better at higher rpm's and cathedral at lower rpm's?

Im interested to know which type would flow better on a 6.2 at high rpm (7500).

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

the square port performs just as good at the lower rpms as long as the cam and other parts are matched right, but id give high rpm power edge to the square port

Quick Reply: A little advice?ported 243s and ls2 intake or ls3 heads and intake?