Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Compacted graphite Iron Cylinder block

Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Compacted graphite Iron Cylinder block

I heard about this engine in one of my diesel classes and was wondering if this engine exists for gas engines as well it's said to be 70% lighter than cast iron blocks 200% the fatigue limit and 40% more rigid than cast iron I'm hoping to use this to provide an engine that can endure the stress of high HP, high torque, and high temperatures and remain reliable I also plan on adopting another diesel trait by installing sleeves for block protection as well as making overhauls much easier in the future hope to hear from anyone who can help me out.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dart uses this material and is a option in their blocks. Not sure that there is a LS block out there with this material.

Tim
Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks Tim I just did a little research on it and apparently it's widely used in toyota, bmw, GM, Rolls Royce as well as audi I searched it before a while back but all I was getting were diesel applications so the future is looking a little brighter for my build thanks for the help now the only thing between me and that engine should be is a price tag
Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an mechanical engineer, what you have said about the compacted graphite iron cylinder block is true. The only problem would be cost for most builders and end users.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I ask whats wrong with an LSX, warhawk, or katech billet block?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

70% lighter? Is that lighter than aluminum?

I believe this will be an option on the Dart LS next as mentioned above.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tainted
Can I ask whats wrong with an LSX, warhawk, or katech billet block?
As stated in my name I am truly a 4thgenrookie and live up to that moniker, and I'm not very knowledgeable or experienced with these engines this will be my first project, but looking at the evidence 70% lighter 200% the fatigue and 40% more rigid it sounded like a sure fire winner if you could give me a little info on the engines your referring to you might be able to sway me but I just want to make the most durable or reliable engine possible able to withstand a beating and still fire up and run like a champ
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

the blocks I mentioned have stood the test of time, theres a lot of people running them and pushing ridiculous HP both NA and FI, and are readily available.

I've just never seen the things you mentioned for LSx
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just want to make the most durable or reliable engine possible able to withstand a beating and still fire up and run like a champ
Then you should worry more about other parts, mainly your bottom end, if that's what you want. Unless you're pushing 2000rwhp+, I would not worry about the block itself. Other parts are much more important in a reliable engine than the block, so get a nice quality billet or LSX block and then stuff it with high quality internals. That will make it so that it lasts.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks all of you, I was just concerned about warpage, cracking stuff like that you hear a lot about esp. in aluminum blocks will do more research on some of the engines you guys mentioned but yeah I was wondering about the bottom end products as well If anyone could refer some good manufacturers they've had experience with
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Callies is certainly one of the better forged rotating assemblies.

Heres some food for though on aluminum blocks and some quick info
Theres plenty of people on here running 800+ hp on aluminum blocks. A few key mods can make them very stout, and if the aluminum isnt good enough, the iron varients should be. If you are goimg for big hp, large bore then either sleeving a block or going to the aftermarket blocks are your mext option.

Having said all that, if youre budget conscience, then the l92/ls3 block is a great one to look into. You get the bigger 4.060 bore, improved casting quality, and longer sleeves vs previois blocks.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tainted
Callies is certainly one of the better forged rotating assemblies.

Heres some food for though on aluminum blocks and some quick info
Theres plenty of people on here running 800+ hp on aluminum blocks. A few key mods can make them very stout, and if the aluminum isnt good enough, the iron varients should be. If you are goimg for big hp, large bore then either sleeving a block or going to the aftermarket blocks are your mext option.

Having said all that, if youre budget conscience, then the l92/ls3 block is a great one to look into. You get the bigger 4.060 bore, improved casting quality, and longer sleeves vs previois blocks.
Yeah I was definitely considering sleeves to make for an easier overhaul/service and it also helps keep the block cool if I copy the diesel concept with the wet sleeves as for ci Im thinking either a 383 or 427, whichever I choose I hope to make something pretty torquey I own a 93' 3.4L Camaro 5spd, bone stock it's rather slow but I love it
Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Launching!

If you manage to find one, handle that credit card with fire retardant gloves, the only compacted graphite blocks I've seen are higher than giraffe pu$$y.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
If you manage to find one, handle that credit card with fire retardant gloves, the only compacted graphite blocks I've seen are higher than giraffe pu$$y.
I still haven't heard a price range Dart seems to be the only manufacturer to actually say they have them... it almost seems like a secret lol, GM is hoarding them for the zombie apocalypse, and your probably right, but hey.. hopefully your wrong.. about the new ones at least lol... btw where did you find the info?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compacted graphite Iron Cylinder block