Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

need some help on my lh6 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help on my lh6 build

I have posted before about this motor and no response. So I have done my research on the DoD delete on my 08 lh6 and some people say that I need to do a cam swap and some say you dont. Can someone she'd some light on this for me. And if I need to do a cam swap what cam can I get away with without doing pushrods and springs? This is going in a 54 Chevy car and plan on running a victor Jr intake and a carb. On a super tight budget so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have trouble remembering all the letter designations on LS engines, but maybe I can help by describing some of the problems we ran into when we deleted the DOD on a 2005 Gen lV 5.3 aluminum LH6? We changed out the lifters and the plastic retainers and we found the plain valley cover on E-Bay, but we could not buy the needed O-rings anywhere because they were on national back order. I checked the diameter of the holes in the towers and found they were the right diameter for a 3/8X16 tap. We bought allen head plugs at Lowe's to seal them...worked great. We used a Camaro oil pan which caused another problem. The original pan for a DOD engine has a pressure regulator in the pan...Camaro doesn't. When we started the engine it pegged a 100 lb oil pressure guage at idle. We had to take it back apart to put a new LS6 oil pump on it. Everyone said the DOD cam would work. The engine ran but seemed not quite right. A scanner showed random misfires. A compression check showed 180 lbs in four of the cylinders and 135-140 in the four cylinders that had the DOD lifters originally. Our engine had a three bolt cam and I found a low mile L33 cam on LS1 tech for sale section and we pulled it apart again. With the L33 cam a compression check showed 175-180 on all eight cylinders. I have no idea why this is the result, but it is what it is. Sorry to be so long winded but thought it might give you a little insight.
Good luck, Ron
Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks ron, its not long winded its just detailed and that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch. I was kinda hoping not to have to tap the oiling towers but if it has to than so be it. But I am looking for a 02-04 z06 cam for the swap. So if any one knows of one please let me know.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

This is some helpful info!! Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Teching In

I also need some help. I bought a 5.3L from a 2012 avalanche. I believe it's the aluminum LC9 version with flex-fuel. The engine will go into a 1984 trans am. I need to replace the oil pan with an f body pan. I'm just now learning of the DOD delete kit. From rojs234's post, it sounds like I need to get an f body pan and an LS6 oil pump. I've been researching but there is lots to read. I may add a rear mount turbo to the car at a later date. For now, I just want a good running engine with some pep for the car. I need help with the following, please!

-Do I need the DOD delete kit and/or a new cam? If so, what cam will work now and if/when I get a turbo? I heard the LS6 cam was good. Will that work on my engine?
-what intake manifold should I get (I'll probably get the drive by wire throttle body)? LS1 or LS2 manifold?

Please be nice and don't hit me with a "search newbie" comment. I'm going through a mid life crisis, and I've always wanted the trans am of my high school days. Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Don't need a kit, just a buy a new set of lifters, cam shaft and LS2 top cover to get started. I bought LS7 lifters and a custom cam along with Tooley valve springs, retainers etc... I will install the cam, measure for pushrods length then order the correct length push rods from Comp.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Thanks - I did see that comp sells a cam for the variable timing 6.0 engine. I didn't see one the was specifically for the 5.3L. I'll probably call them soon and post what they say.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

You won't need a Speacialty cam since you aren't going to be using that, any LS cam will fit as long as you buy the matching timing chain.

Quick Reply: need some help on my lh6 build