Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3, Most Durable in the LS Family?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS3, Most Durable in the LS Family?

Is it just me or are these LS3's pretty bulletproof? Yes, anything highly modified can break, tons of boost or even a lemon here n there but ive been looking around and cant find too many issues with them. Seen many LS1's break ring lands, lean out cylinder #7, bad balancers, pcv system sucks a lot of oil. LS2's, havent really looked into them but I guess their intakes suck, not as good as LS6 tho not a reliability issue. LS7, break exhaust valves and oil starvation in earlier dry sump motors. As for the LS3 ive only seen a few guys break rockers, im still on stockers with no issues. Also a few road racers that have had oiling issues on long banked left hand turns but its been mostly or solely on race cars or cars with slicks and aero. Other then that I havent seen any real issues. Im I missing something? Ive read as well that the LS3 block is the strongest of the LS motors. Seems it can handle more power then other blocks as well as boost. Looks like you can really beat on these LS3s and they keep on going. Is the LS3 the most robust and durable of the LS family? In general I know all LS motors are pretty darn bulletproof and reliable motors but was just wondering which may be the best in this regard.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't speak from an engineering standpoint, but simple logic tells me that there are far more LS1's running around than there are LS3's, so naturally you'll see more failures in a more populous and generally 'older' engine type than a far newer one.. It would also make sense that GM has had the opportunity, as would any maker, of years of field experience and use to make adjustments and improvements to the newest version of whatever the end product is, an engine in this case. In any event, I hope you're right, because an LS3 is going under my hood!!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope so too, I am about to order a built LS3.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

there are far more LS1's running around than there are LS3's, so naturally you'll see more failures in a more populous and generally 'older' engine type than a far newer one.
This +1 million.

The amount of Gen IIIs produced vs. GenIV LS3s is staggering, so yes you will see a lot more of those breaking. Also, the last LS1 was built in 2004, so at this point every single OEM engine is at least 9 years old...some being 16 years old. The oldest LS3 is only 6 year old, so you do the math on why you see more LS1s breaking today vs. LS3s. Let's wait until 2021 and see how the LS3s hold up.

Not saying LS3s are not build better with more knowledge and advanced engineering, but saying that today you see more LS1s break than LS3s means nothing in terms of reliability of either engine.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I read alot of issues with guys having valve dropping issues with LS3s
Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proper tuning has come a long way too!

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227

Quick Reply: LS3, Most Durable in the LS Family?