Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Ticking from one side after close call.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 Ticking from one side after close call.

Last week I had my pickup tube bracket break in my driveway and the tube sucked flush with the bottom of the pan yielding ZERO oil pressure. Thanks to the big NAV screen reading "no oil pressure" I shut it off immediately.

Long story short... Found the broken pickup and replaced it. I checked a couple rod bearings while I was in there and they looked like new. After such a close call I am of course listening to the engine like never before....

I now notice a tick from the left bank that I never noted before. It sounds exactly like a single lifter tick to me, but it is heard the easiest through the fender well(over the tire) or from under the car. When I actually listen under the hood I don't hear much at the valve cover.

Temperature makes no difference with the noise. Over 2000 rpm it isn't very noticeable either. I checked all the bolts on the headers and they are all tight. I have tried killing cylinders to pinpoint the cylinder, but it makes no difference with the noise. It isn't a horrible tick, just enough to know that something isn't right.

This is in a 2006 CTS-V with only cam, springs, and headers. Aside from the noise, it runs perfectly.

Thinking that it could be an exhaust leak I have held rags over the tailpipes to see if the sound would change and it doesn't.

Now that you have the background.... Here is my real question: If you have a noisy lifter is it easiest to hear from under the hood or under the car? I would think it would be loudest under the hood. That is what is throwing me for a loop here. I have checked thoroughly for an exhaust leak and found nothing.

The noise is definitely from the left side and definitely loudest under the car. I pulled the valve cover to check for loose rockers and everything was nice and tight.

I would think that if it was a lifter it would easily be heard through the plastic intake manifold or valve cover, but that just isn't the case here. I'd throw a new set of lifters in this in a moments notice if I thought it would fix it. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to play darts with parts here.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Default Video of noise

This was done with my digital camera and it really picked up the noise well. It isn't even this loud in person.

Have a listen here:
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to know this too, i had oil pump go out and mine is doing almost the exact same thing. i check my headers and all that . mine is more noticeable around 1500-2500 then goes away
Old 06-02-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your oil pressure says your engine is healthy, i say go to Harbor Freight and get a $5. stethoscope and you will pin point the noise, start with your fuel injectors first, ask me how i know, if the noise leads you down to the block try to place the prove at the bottom of the block side in front of each cylinder.
The best to do though is to jack up the car, put jack stands under and rest the car on them, then start up the engine and head south, if is a rod or crank bearing you will know without dought even without the stethoscope, cause now you are down there rite next to it , however if you are under the car and the noise seems far praise God.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Teching In

I've probed around with a stethoscope and it wasn't helpful to pinpoint anything. Sounds like a lifter for sure to me, but the fact that it is loudest underneath keeps doubt in my mind.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe your headers make it seem like the tick is coming from the bottom?
Lots of V guys say headers make the sewing machine sound of the valve train more prominent.
Makes me think it could do the same for lifter noise.
Just throwing that out there .
Maybe try the stethoscope on the headers.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So the PRs and rockers have no play...?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: LS2 Ticking from one side after close call.