Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Valve Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
So now it's heat?
Look at the date on that email, April 2011. I was giving my thoughts at the time in a private email. Notice I used the words "I think". I wouldn't not have posted that on the forum because we did not have concrete data to back it up. We know now based on the statement from GM that is is a machining issue.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Look at the date on that email, April 2011. I was giving my thoughts at the time in a private email. Notice I used the words "I think". I wouldn't not have posted that on the forum because we did not have concrete data to back it up. We know now based on the statement from GM that is is a machining issue.
That wasn't really directed to you Jason. For those saying it is heat, I'm just curious how heat is the culprit in a sodium filled valve. Last I heard, sodium filled valves are supposed to manage heat better than a solid exhaust valve. What's the evidence to support this conclusion?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

If you want to discuss the LS7 valve issues that's fine (albeit beaten to death)but please refrain from personal attacks!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
the valve is getting to hot. the valve starts to wear the guide from heat. then the valve stem will start to coke or cook the oil on the stem. once this happens it's downhill fast and the wear speeds up. once the guide gets .0080 it will gall the stems. this is like a sand paper effect on the stem and at this point it's just a matter of time till it stresses the valve stem and it will snap off at the sonic weld everytime. but if you ever take one of these heads apart you will see the cooked on oil all the way up the stem. also you can take a valve seal off the guides and you will see a rainbow effect. again this is heat. the valve was not a good choice for this engine. and it's wearing guides at a very fast rate. wish Richard would post. he will tell you the same. it's heat. thats why so many vendors are using the ss exhaust valve now with bronze valve guides. also tumble polish your ti intake valves. there is a coating on the ti that wont work well with bronze
What is the cause of the heat? Bad tune from GM?

Humor me here, but if its the machining issue like GM says it is where the seat and guide are not machined concentric to one another, wouldn't the friction from the side loading of the valve cause excess heat as well?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by Whistler
If you want to discuss the LS7 valve issues that's fine (albeit beaten to death)but please refrain from personal attacks!
Good call!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:45 PM
KCS

it's not in the tune it's the valve ..but high EGT or Exhaust gas temperature will speed up the wear in tuned cars yes. again points back to heat
Are you saying the sodium filled exhaust valve just simply can't handle the heat of a stock LS7?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Are you saying the sodium filled exhaust valve just simply can't handle the heat of a stock LS7?
You got it...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

Poof!! Really? What a joke....
Old 07-16-2013, 01:09 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by ramairws6
You got it...
How can that be? The whole purpose of a sodium filled valve is to disperse and dissipate heat better.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
KCS

To me, it seems like the machining issue is the more likely culprit. I'm not disagreeing that heat is playing a role, but its hard to believe a stock engine is overheating a sodium filled valve. Now if the guide and seat are not concentric like they say, I can definitely see a side loading issue causing enough excess friction and heat to wear the guides.

Have you cut a valvejob in any of your scrap LS7 heads you've posted on YouTube? Seeing how the seat comes in would be pretty revealing.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
To me, it seems like the machining issue is the more likely culprit. I'm not disagreeing that heat is playing a role, but its hard to believe a stock engine is overheating a sodium filled valve. Now if the guide and seat are not concentric like they say, I can definitely see a side loading issue causing enough excess friction and heat to wear the guides.

Have you cut a valvejob in any of your scrap LS7 heads you've posted on YouTube? Seeing how the seat comes in would be pretty revealing.
Major head builders redo these LS7 heads every day. WCCH has hundreds of them come thru a year and none of them are seeing the "so called" valve machining error. We all know what the sodium filled valve is suppose to be doing but for some reason it's not up to task in this configuration.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

The side loading could be accentuated by the longer valve and higher ratio rockers. Just a thought...

Originally Posted by KCS

Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by Whistler
The side loading could be accentuated by the longer valve and higher ratio rockers. Just a thought...
I agree.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 PM
KCS

all the heads i see the guides are wearing from top to bottom or up an down. not side to side. i've checked valve seat concentricity. valve geometry ect. thats not the problem. it's the valve.
Well yeah, it rocks the valve on an axis so you'll see the wear on the top and bottom of the stem area that is in the guide.

How did you check concentricity?

How did you check geometry?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for conentricity I check for run out using a valve seat run out gauge, you can get a pushrod lenth checker, and do a wipe test on the valve tops. The ideal contact point is slightly before the centerline on the intake side when the valve is closed and slightly after on the exhaust side when the valve is open. this is the way i do it.
Sorry... but I don't picture it... how will that check if the guide is concentric to the seat?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Teching In

for conentricity I check for run out using a valve seat run out gauge, you can get a pushrod lenth checker, and do a wipe test on the valve tops. The ideal contact point is slightly before the centerline on the intake side when the valve is closed and slightly after on the exhaust side when the valve is open. this is the way i do it.
The seat run out guage pilots into the valve guides...how the hell are you measuring perfect concentricity in guides that show 2-3 times the service limits? That guage should be slopping around in a bell mouthed guide with that kind of wear...i would love for you to demonstate in one of your videos this perfect concentriticity in a worn out guide.
I believe the only way to disprove the GM theory is to spec a new set of heads...confirm concentricity and guides within tolerance....then put some miles on them and remeasure! you want to convince the sceptics...do this and report your findings! otherwise you and the less then a handfull of so called head gurus are just tossing theory and not data around.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

It bothers me that is the bottom part of the guide and valve that really gets damaged... Not the top.

Quick Reply: LS7 Valve Issue