Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Bought a busted L92..... need help with what block to get and combination

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a busted L92..... need help with what block to get and combination

Hello ALL,

I bought an L92 with a busted block and pan but only 40,000 miles on the engine.... I did get the E38 ECM to it though and the pedal assembly....

it was in a terrible wreck and the A/C compressor, starter and both bellhousing dowel locating pins were snapped off....

Needless to say, the block is scrap now.... but the heads/intake/rotating assembly is still good I hope...

My question is this.....

If I want to keep the VVT system for my engine swap project, won't it work in any block as long as I use all the L92 cover/cam/cam bolt that go with the setup?

I love the aluminum block on the L92, but, I don't love the $1500 replacement cost for a new one......

I was looking at an Iron 6.0L block swap for this and a bore and hone to match the stock pistons or upgrade to something in a 4032 forging for a daily driver with a lot of expected miles and quiet operation....

Won't most 6.0L blocks go to 4.065 without issue?

Along those same lines, if I saved the money on the aluminum block and went with Iron 6.0L, I was even considering an LS7 crank and Titanium rods, but, it looks like MAST is the only ones with the proper skirt design for a 4.00 inch stroke and the factory short bores....

I don't want to shroud the valves on the L92 heads with too small of a bore size, as this is going into a 5500 lb truck and I need all the power I can get, reliably....

Also, for You stroker guys, how does the mileage compare to stock? I am wanting to squeeze all the mileage I can out of this combination.

I will be happy with stock power or 50+hp if a mild cam can achieve that without sacrificing much torque or mileage.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get a 6.0 block Keep stock crank,rods and pistons if they are not hurt (Cheapest way), or you could go with a 4 in. crank and go that route..060 is about as far as most guy's are going have it sonic tested to see how far you can or could go.LS7 crank and rods are not worth the $$$$ for what you are doing also going with a stroker you will be getting a lot of usable Torque your mileage will be dependant on your cam. L92 heads will work with a 4 in bore but hell you could bore it 30 over. Find a good iron 6.0 core from a wrecker yard most will be in the range of 300 to 500 bucks get block work done and BOOM. As far as the ECM I'm using LS3 ecm also on a iron block 6.0 but I will have to get the block tapped and change my reluctor wheel from 24 to 58 you will need cams sensors as well to match. I hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Teching In

So, I can use a 6.0L block and bore it to either match the stock pistons for the L92 or get some Mahle forged replacements and bore it out to match those.... for less than the cost of the new 6.2L block

besides that, what changes are required to the 6.0L iron block to make it work with all of my L92 parts on the inside and outside?

I have the good 6.2L crank with it's 58X reluctor wheel and sensors and E38 ECM

As for a stroker setup,

Do the 6.0L iron blocks have longer cylinder bores than the 6.2L?

I am still contemplating a stroker setup, but I don't want an oil burner either....
I have read quite a bit about the stroker piston skirts hanging too far out of the bottom of the bores and causing oil burning issues and piston wear from rocking...

I also wonder how much difference going to a 408 or 416 would make vs just staying a 376 if I am not going to put a huge cam or bigger heads on it....

Again, the biggest cam I could probably use and keep decent mileage would be the smallest VVT Comp Cam, stroker or not....

Has anyone dyno'd a stroker setup with L92 heads with a very mild cam for torque and mileage reasons?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Banned

When you wake up tomorrow call LME@ 713 -849-4505. It will work any of the above. I answered all of your ? your starting to Beat a dead horse! I have a 408!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lil john
When you wake up tomorrow call LME@ 713 -849-4505. It will work any of the above. I answered all of your ? your starting to Beat a dead horse! I have a 408!

Thanks Lil John!!

I am sorry to ask redundant questions, but your answer wasn't clear to me when you said "As far as the ECM I'm using LS3 ecm also on a iron block 6.0 but I will have to get the block tapped and change my reluctor wheel from 24 to 58 you will need cams sensors as well to match"

I was asking about getting the block tapped and the cam sensors.....

Won't all of that work from the L92 engine parts that I have, including the Crank, sensors, etc.?

How is your oil consumption and mileage?

What cam/heads are You running?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Banned

You have to EXcuse me I hadn't had my Spinach was up until 6.I got block and rods and 24* wheel crank from a guy who was selling it I bought pistons +5 very (12.0 min with 70cc heads) high comp. ratio and I'm going solid I'm Trying to get 700 fwhp(This will also be my last engine done spending $$$$).You have all the the parts, oil consumption will not be a problem with a 4 in. crank it's when you go over that lies the problem.I have bare L92 ...179 ea. in 08 still in the box from a chevy dealer here in Houston ( I know the Parts Manager ).I'm still looking over heads package. I'm now on solid cam, lifters, and springs heads will be the icing on the cake.I'm running a Vic Jr with Fast 4150 and Fast 50 lbs injectors all of which I have.

Last edited by lil john; 07-28-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Teching In

awesome setup!!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bought a busted L92..... need help with what block to get and combination