Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L33 Torque Build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L33 Torque Build Questions

I am going to be building my L33 this winter. I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg on parts. Tq&hp / $ is what I am after which is why I started with the L33. Most builds seem to be drag oriented and all out hp.

The engine will be in a car that is 80% street 20% road course and no drag.

I want something with the low end grunt and power under the curve matters most to me over max 8k rpm hp numbers.

I am looking to spin it to its rev limiter but not more than that (6500ish) so I do not need the crazy aftermarket parts.

Now for some questions...

I am looking at:

-freshening the heads up (799)
-putting a tr224R or 228R cam (or something similar??) in with better springs (suggestions?)
-keep the truck intake (save a few bucks can care less how it "looks" since it performs pretty darn well)
-new injectors or cleaned older ones
-better oil pan (possibly dry sump if I can piece it together cheap enough)
-hardened pushrods I assume would be good to use with the stiffer springs and ramp rates?

What about the oil pump? Does everyone still recommend the high flow version that Meling offers over a stock replacement?

GM MLS stock gasket work plenty well enough?

Stock rod bolts are fine as long as I stay under 7k rpm?

I am also thinking to upgrade the throttle body a bit larger. Any opinions on this? Is it worth porting the intake to open it up for the tb or is the stock one not really a restriction until high rpm that I wont be seeing?

I would like to use the stock rotating assembly unless someone can point me in a direction where its WORTH the $ to change it up.

As a note as well... I will be going 390 or 410 rear so that will help with a bit of the low end loss I will see by going with the cam and I know that it will help knowing what powerband I am going to be in.

Thanks a ton guys!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No comments??
Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I would bore it out to 3.898" and use some stock LS1 pistons/rods. The extra 20ci and increased compression will make some pretty solid HP and TQ gains all across the RPM range.

Quick Reply: L33 Torque Build Questions