Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

what heads for Turbo 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Default what heads for Turbo 6.0

what heads would work the best? L92s arent in the budget right now... lol. my engine is a headless LY6. i plan on keeping the stock crank and throwing in a set of stock LS2 pistons. i can get a set of 317s for $150 so im just curious what would work best with my setup. im undecided on the cam. truck will mainly be street driven and maybe track occassionally. running a front mount 76mm
Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

317s would flow great and are cheap like you said. They are basically 243/LS6 heads with a bigger chamber.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^What he said. stock48 on here has them on his nova and has gone 8.39@164 on 23 psi with them.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads on your shoulders...

I like to use boost heads for boosted engines, LSA and LS9 flow well and are not expensive, for boost all exhaust ports should be clean out to scavenge as well as possible, the more you can take out the more you can put in, the more power can be make.

You want to use Inconel SS exhaust valves and hollow stem SS intakes Is what the 76 MM calls for, this way you keep your heads on the block and keep the head gasket money in your pocket.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
I like to use boost heads for boosted engines, LSA and LS9 flow well and are not expensive, for boost all exhaust ports should be clean out to scavenge as well as possible, the more you can take out the more you can put in, the more power can be make.

You want to use Inconel SS exhaust valves and hollow stem SS intakes Is what the 76 MM calls for, this way you keep your heads on the block and keep the head gasket money in your pocket.
I understand where you are coming from but no matter the LS head, the exhaust ports flow all about the same and they flow no better than a SBC head on the exhaust side. So 317 heads will be fine for this application since he can get them for cheap.

The scavenge thing is a moot point if your exhaust housing can't flow what it needs to keep back pressure down. Just as rectangular port heads cams are ground different from cathedral heads, it is done for the reason to help the exhaust side get more air out since the intake side flows much more air over a cathedral. Same thing for a turbo setup. You grind a cam to help the exhaust flow well and some times you can reduce back pressure with a better ground cam.

Can you tell me how putting in inconel and stainless valves is gonna keep the heads down on the block and why would a 76mm turbo would call for them and not an 88mm?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imn2bho....

Hey Silver... my take is just a different angle, we all do things differently I for one think the cheapest way is always the rite way the first time, costs more initially but is the list expensive and less amount of work, therefore can't see a good reason for short cuts, even if I takes a lil longer initially.

There's a lot we can do to get a project going and speed it up, lets say money, lets consider all the valuables laying around we never use, like parts a gold bracelet, jewelry, gold is worth a lot these days, maybe a set of wheels holding on to we don't need or use, just opening new avenues to our goals, hoping to inspire thoughts here.

Lets say one takes the list expensive route from the get-go and then have to do it over or re-do it all, burn valve, blown head gasket, collapse piston skirt, broken rod I seen it all; where is the short cut? IMO doing it rite one time, in fact is not just more fun, it's else the list expensive route and the list amount of work not to mention the soonest date to a finished project, ever sought about a finish project, Just take a look around and count how many finished projects you find.

I'm one for finish projects earliest for the win.

I'm tired of seen people working for ever in their cars taking the longest way around Manhattan for every short cut they assume.

Understand is only the way I would do things, again this is my angle and the way I see it, every one is entitle to it's own opinion just as long as is baset on personal experience and not in what he or she thinks, believe or guess.

As far as why the 76 and not the 88 well when I look at the parts and I see limitations I'm out, if me! limitations got to go out the window yesterday.

Nothing personal here sorry if it sounds aggressive is not my intention, I am a perfectionist but in this business you will work and expend enough to be like that.

Having said all the above, I must add the LSA and the LS9 heads bring darn good valves in them already so living those in there does not constitute a short cut IMO by the way.

Then you run in to those who find the holes in the cheese and miss the cheese altogether.

Off course that's not you.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
Hey Silver... my take is just a different angle, we all do things differently I for one think the cheapest way is always the rite way the first time, costs more initially but is the list expensive and less amount of work, therefore can't see a good reason for short cuts, even if I takes a lil longer initially.

There's a lot we can do to get a project going and speed it up, lets say money, lets consider all the valuables laying around we never use, like parts a gold bracelet, jewelry, gold is worth a lot these days, maybe a set of wheels holding on to we don't need or use, just opening new avenues to our goals, hoping to inspire thoughts here.

Lets say one takes the list expensive route from the get-go and then have to do it over or re-do it all, burn valve, blown head gasket, collapse piston skirt, broken rod I seen it all; where is the short cut? IMO doing it rite one time, in fact is not just more fun, it's else the list expensive route and the list amount of work not to mention the soonest date to a finished project, ever sought about a finish project, Just take a look around and count how many finished projects you find.

I'm one for finish projects earliest for the win.

I'm tired of seen people working for ever in their cars taking the longest way around Manhattan for every short cut they assume.

Understand is only the way I would do things, again this is my angle and the way I see it, every one is entitle to it's own opinion just as long as is baset on personal experience and not in what he or she thinks, believe or guess.

As far as why the 76 and not the 88 well when I look at the parts and I see limitations I'm out, if me! limitations got to go out the window yesterday.

Nothing personal here sorry if it sounds aggressive is not my intention, I am a perfectionist but in this business you will work and expend enough to be like that.

Having said all the above, I must add the LSA and the LS9 heads bring darn good valves in them already so living those in there does not constitute a short cut IMO by the way.

Then you run in to those who find the holes in the cheese and miss the cheese altogether.

Off course that's not you.
WOW! My head hurts after reading that

Nothing to back up what you previously post AT ALL.

As far as being a perfectionist, your typing needs to be perfected.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I'd suggest 317's as well. The LSA/LS9 heads are nice and all, but the 317's will get the job done without having to spend as much.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"As far as being a perfectionist, your typing needs to be perfected"

Ahahahahaha!
The following users liked this post:
Jewbabydono (05-19-2023)
Old 09-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fact..... U said:my engine is a headless LY6. i plan on keeping the stock crank and throwing in a set of stock LS2 pistons.
If so U will not like the out come UNLESS you can CONTROL the URGE FOR HP...
Stock pistons and crank+ some....... I'm going for it = U know....$$$$$$$$
Buy Once .......Live Twice

Quick Reply: what heads for Turbo 6.0