Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Problems after heads/cam/LT's install on Z06 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after heads/cam/LT's install on Z06 Corvette

Hey guys, yesterday I finished the installation of PRC heads, cam, long tube headers, and cat-less midpipe on my 2011 Z06 Corvette. After the install, the car started up and ran fine for about 10 minutes. But I noticed the "Service Active Handling" indicator was on and the check engine light (CEL). I expected the CEL but not the service active handling.

So, this morning I hookup HP Tuners and list the DTC's that caused the CEL. All the DTC's were expected given the cam and catless mid-pipe upgrade. I made the typical changes to prevent those DTC's and wrote the calibration to the PCM. When I started the car this time I noticed that the starter stopped cranking within 1 second of engaging. So I pressed the start button again and it started.

It idled fine and sounded good, the CEL was off and no more DTC's were being generated by the PCM, but the Service Active Handling warning was still on.

I noticed the idle fueling needed a little tweaking, so I shut it down and made the changed to the idle airflow/fueling and wrote the new calibration to the PCM. Here is where the weird stuff began.

I went to start the car and the starter cutout again. So I pressed and held the start button, it engaged and had to crank for 5-10 seconds before starting. I think, no big deal, this sometimes happens after a new calibration is written to the PCM. But then I noticed that the coolant temp gage isn't reading anything and the fuel level reading nearly empty (I know for sure it has over 3/4 tank).

Now I'm thinking I have a loose battery connection, so I check and tighten them. Go to start the car and the starter just clicks as though it engaged but doesn't crank the engine.

During the installation, I placed a heat blanket over the starter to protect it from the headers. I'm wondering if the heat from the headers is somehow effecting the electrical connections on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Any tips would be much appreciated! I'm grasping at straws right now.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you mess with the starter to get the headers in? Sounds like a short/ground issue around the starter. Also check for broken plugs if you left them in while swapping headers.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think the problem was a weak battery. I put it on the charger for a while and those weird problems disappeared, except the service Traction System light is still on.

Quick Reply: Problems after heads/cam/LT's install on Z06 Corvette