Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lq9/ls2/l92 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq9/ls2/l92 build

Think I put this in the wrong section before so I'll try it here (sorry I'm new!) finally picked up my lq9 block ( hard to get here in Australia) so I'm starting my first sorta budget build, before I do a stroker later. So what I have so far is block, stock ls2 rotating assembly, l92 heads. I'm going to be running a Holley hi ram with twin carbs. Th350 with stall to suit whatever cam I get. Pump fuel so looking for around 11.1 comp and revving to around 7000. Can anybody point me in the right direction for forged pistons to suit what I'm after, and also cam choice, also anything else I might need for these revs. Don't really care how wild it is, will only be used rarely On weekends and for burnout comps. Thanks heaps in advance
Old 11-13-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 408RAT
Think I put this in the wrong section before so I'll try it here (sorry I'm new!) finally picked up my lq9 block ( hard to get here in Australia) so I'm starting my first sorta budget build, before I do a stroker later. So what I have so far is block, stock ls2 rotating assembly, l92 heads. I'm going to be running a Holley hi ram with twin carbs. Th350 with stall to suit whatever cam I get. Pump fuel so looking for around 11.1 comp and revving to around 7000. Can anybody point me in the right direction for forged pistons to suit what I'm after, and also cam choice, also anything else I might need for these revs. Don't really care how wild it is, will only be used rarely On weekends and for burnout comps. Thanks heaps in advance
If you are going to put pistons in it you might as well go .030 over on the block so it can help with unshrouding the valves on those L92 heads. Wiseco doesn't make a 4.030 piston for a stock rod so you have to either resize the small end or get some aftermarket rods. Diamond has a piston and the part number is 11510 but with the big chamber of the L92 head, your compression will only be 10.3:1.

A Holley hi ram with twin carbs will be overkill for a 370 cube motor. A victor intake with a single 750, 830, or 850 carb will be enough to spin that motor to 7000 and make good power.

Get with Martin@Tick for your cam. Give him all your info and he can spec you something for what you need. From what I have seen from him lately and being a customer of his, he is the man on spec'ing cams. He just spec'd a cam for a riding lawnmower that has an LS1 in it for tractor pulling!!!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Since this is a carb (s) build, you might want to post over in the carbed lsx forum. As far as pistons go, any quality forged piston would do. A lot of people are pulling to 7K with stock pistons. As far as the cam choice, with your unusual setup, give one of the cam gurus on here a call and let them spec one out for you. Martin at Tick has been doing a lot with the rectangular port heads lately, so that might be a good starting point for a cam grind. Good Luck and Welcome to the board !!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks heaps for the info guys. I've been having a bit of trouble finding pistons to suit that's for sure, the stock ones I have are in good nick, so I could run them, thought I might go forgies for a bit of security, and by what I'm reading I might run into ptv issues running a cam the size I want. Will be going a stroker later, so the tunnel ram is kind of leaning for that set up, hoping to get away with it for now. Have sent Martin a pm, looking forward to hearing his suggestions. Thanks again guys

Quick Reply: lq9/ls2/l92 build