Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

I Want To See A "SHOOTOUT" ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
They have one already called "Engine Masters Challenge". Which is halfway decent as the purpose of most of those builds is to show that you must have the correct combination of parts and detail to make power. A cam shootout is a waste. The unknowledgeble people view these shootouts as "golden rule" and buy cams based on shootouts. But the major problem is that engine combos that are just based on peak numbers do not correlate to fast street or track cars. The worst cam shootout was the LS3 cam shootout, because it mislead thousands of people and taught them how to make mediocre power. And people still try to use that to this day, but look at the ET and MPH of these cams and none of them are producig fast cars. Thats why the cathedral crowd don't respect the squareports. The fastest squareport headed cars are not running anything like the cams in the LS3 cam shootout.

All that will be produced is a false reference or internet cracker for the parrots because everytime a discussion comes up about a cam, some guy will say "well in the cam shootout, this cam made XXX HP on the dyno".

Dynos sell cams.
You are correct sir. I will tell you a story about cams testing on Dynos so the company can sell cams. In the early eighties we had no internet yes no internet I know what you are thinking how do you live without that. We had magazines so some cam company’s would put a cam lets call it a SBA with 106 LS in a 350 SBC with 9.0 compression
They would run it on the dyno an show the dyno report in the magazine from 3500 to about 6000 rpms it may show that this SBA cam made 100 more HP. WOW I NEED one of those in my car now. So when you received your cam installed it went out to have fun the first thing you noticed it that it did not idle very well then you may notice that you had to put in neutral at the red light so it would not die out. Next when you got it moving and floored it you found out it was a TURD no low in TQ it would start pulling at about 3500 to 6000 it did have a 100 more HP but it was not drivable. The reason they would showed 3500 up is because 3500 down it was dead no TQ no vacuum at idle. So to have a real shootout I do not think a dyno is the way to go. I have never seen anyone win anything with the most HP. TQ yes engine Acceleration yes. Maybe you could take the average? The problem with that is two engines with the same average from 3000 to 6000 may run different. How is that? One could have a better average from 3000 to 4500 the other better from 4500 to 6000. Witch one is better for your car? Depends on how you set the car up and what you are trying to do. The main challenge it to make a cam that the customer is happy with make it fun to drive and have the power come on as soon as he hit’s the throttle. One good challenge would be to come up with a ODD BALL combination and have everyone spec a cam for the combination but explain how and why they came up with the specs….
Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that idea. or Better yet a cylinder head shoot em up with G.Good/D.Morgan/C.Boggs-rfd/Richard-wcch/Mr.Frank/A.I.
.... with a aftermarket ls7 head of there choice. That ls7 head SHOOT-OUT in hot rod WAS NOT THE BEST LS7 cylinder head shoot-out there are porters who can out do MAST cheaper. Look @ John B 's GREG GOOD ls7 cylinder heads 700+rwhp.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kip Fabre
One good challenge would be to come up with a ODD BALL combination and have everyone spec a cam for the combination but explain how and why they came up with the specs….

Kip,

Great idea . . . One "oddball" combo coming right up !

"406" LS Stroker

Block: LS3 - 4.070" Bore
Crank: K1 Forged 4340 - 3.900" Stroke
Rods: 6.125" Forged 4340 H-Beam
Heads: PRC 225cc "As Cast" CNC Cathedral Port, 68cc, (2.06" / 1.60" Valves)
Gasket Thickness: .040"
Pistons: Custom Wiseco Forged Flat-Top (-3cc ) 1.21" Compression Height
CR : 11.03 : 1

MODES:

(1) Stealth / Sleeper ( True "Daily-Driver" - Passes OBD-II )

(2) Street / Strip

(3) Strip

(4) Insane - LOL !

Last edited by ez2cdave; 03-01-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: I Want To See A "SHOOTOUT" ! ! !