Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

official i got a rod knock on my 404..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default official i got a rod knock on my 404..

its official i got a rod knock on my 404 and well its time to do a complete rebuild.. So there for im debating whether to go with new internals or stick with the same and just having them refreshed and checked... Im interested in the K1 tech stuff opposed to the eagle crank i have and eagle rods.. another option i would see would be the lunati crank.. only a couple bucks difference on texas speeds website.. what are yall thoughts?

k1 tech crank compstar ultra h beams option 1

lunati forged crank compstar ultra h beams option 2

or stay with my eagle rods and crank and have them checked.. option 3
Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My callies stuff was prefect out of the box. Guy who measured and balanced everything was impressed. He normally sees eagle stuff.

Tim
Old 07-20-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd stay with the Eagle stuff. I built my bottom end a couple months ago and everything was well within spec. The main bearing clearances were dead in the middle of the range and the rod bearings were a hair tighter than I wanted but still well within spec. If I had to do it again I would buy Eagle parts again.

I've never had my hands on Callies stuff, but the Eagle parts are very nice well machined pieces. The crank even had chamfered oil holes, which I did not expect at that price point.

BTW, do you know what caused your rod knock? Did you build that bottom end yourself?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastKat
I'd stay with the Eagle stuff. I built my bottom end a couple months ago and everything was well within spec. The main bearing clearances were dead in the middle of the range and the rod bearings were a hair tighter than I wanted but still well within spec. If I had to do it again I would buy Eagle parts again.

I've never had my hands on Callies stuff, but the Eagle parts are very nice well machined pieces. The crank even had chamfered oil holes, which I did not expect at that price point.

BTW, do you know what caused your rod knock? Did you build that bottom end yourself?
oil starvation...and tsp built the motor for me
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you starve it?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk00ss
How did you starve it?
Guess my cluster was mis reading the oil psi and guess my pump wws going out.. From it and thats where it came from
Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

My vote is option 3. I'd stick with the eagle stuff since it's already in there. Fix the issue that caused the failure first, or you'll ruin any rotating assembly that goes back in.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree as well with fixing what you have or option 3. The complaint about eagle products is the machine work and quality control. When you have everything refinished and checked there will be no difference. Try to find out what caused your rod to spin was it lack of oil volume, pressure, or were the bearings just too tight.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Agreed again. This is good advice. You need to find out why you had oil starvation in the first place! Might be worth starting a new thread...

Originally Posted by KCS
My vote is option 3. I'd stick with the eagle stuff since it's already in there. Fix the issue that caused the failure first, or you'll ruin any rotating assembly that goes back in.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

BTW, when you identify which rod was knocking, I think you're going to need your crank reground and your rod end recon'd before you put it back together.

Quick Reply: official i got a rod knock on my 404..