Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Retofit - CMP sensor interference

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Retofit - CMP sensor interference

I have been chasing down an issue for a year now w/speed inc to where my idle sucks, car intermittently wants to die when clutching in. I went all out on my third gen camaro, swapped in a ls2 with ms4 cam, 102 intake, tr6060mag etc.
I had to convert from DBW to DBC by using a 04 gto pcm to support an iac and tps.
Well my car has had a parasitic drain .5-.7a with the car off. I always need to hook a batt charger up to the car or it's dead within 3 days. Speedinc also told me the scanner they used to test my drivability concerns said my system voltage would drop to 7v while cranking. I figure there must be a short somewhere.
I have narrowed the majority that draw to inside the car, most of it maybe my gps tracker.
I pulled the entire harness out today because last year my starter activation wire kept shorting out and smoking when it came loose off the starter. I am trying to find at least something wrong here, and at the same time try and clean up the harness.

I found one thing that puzzles me though. I found oil on my CMP connector. It's definitely coming from inside the connector.
ok no big deal right? I bought another sensor and found this.
It seems my hexajust dbl roller timing chain gear is rubbing a grove into the CMP. Anyone else experience this beforr and would this cause an intermittent idle problem like I am describing? I've never seen a cmp cause issues like this but since it's leaking I would like to replace it without this happening again.
Attached Thumbnails LS2 Retofit - CMP sensor interference-20140830_153751.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you verified that they were physically in contact? You have your hands on it so I am inclined to believe your assessment but from the pic that looks like maybe that bevel was just a design characteristic of that particular sensor. At very least I would consider that it might have been clearanced before it was installed... Imagine if that material were still there and the timing set was going to take all that off... How would you even get the sensor in all the way?

What year and vehicle is the LS2? I have been told by knowledgeable folks that early LS2s can have funny combinations of parts.

If the computer doesn't know where the cam is at least sometimes, I would think you might see all manner of issues.

Last edited by Mercier; 08-31-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Well if you imagine, I tightened the timing cover with the sensor in it, and ran the car, it seems likely. I put my finger in the hole and it does indeed interfere. I tried putting the new sensor in and it will not fit. Been running this for a year now thinking maybe that's why my rod bearing spun last summer after a month of putting it together because of this now.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

This is the timing set installed.

"Cloyes LS1/LS2-1x/LS6 Hex-A-Just True Roller Double-Roller Timing Set, Includes Z06 Chains, 3-Bolt Cam"

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-3928-c...-bolt-cam.aspx
Old 09-04-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you could always shim it out with some SAE flat washers. Just have to make sure the oil seal remains in play...
Old 09-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

The sensor has a recess that the seal sits in, so I don't think I can even do that honestly...
Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going to see what Speed Inc. suggests, I am thinking about just clearancing the new sensor if the housing permits that much material being removed.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

See here... apparently this is not a new issue and you would likely find success cutting the sensor down a bit:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...le-roller.html

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks man! I searched like hell to no avail.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

You are welcome. BTW, the forum search here does what it is asked but I find I have much better luck opening another browser tab/window and using Bing or Google. They seem to have everything from this site and others indexed anyway and the search algorithms benefit from likely billions of hours and dollars of research.

Quick Reply: LS2 Retofit - CMP sensor interference