Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls3 tensioner or ls2 dampner and why

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls3 tensioner or ls2 dampner and why

Which is preferred and why? engine in question is a 07 trailblazer ss ls2 rebuilding the engine due to rod bearing failing. the engine was originally equipped with the ls3 tensioner and it failed broke spit the parts into the oil pan. do i put the ls2 style bowtie in or a new tensioner?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 AM
74u
TECH Regular

I think you answered your own question. The "bowtie" has no moving parts and isn't prone to failure like the tensioner.

Another option is to use neither...it's not a required part.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 74u
I think you answered your own question. The "bowtie" has no moving parts and isn't prone to failure like the tensioner.

Another option is to use neither...it's not a required part.
You can use it without it if you are willing to listen to the chain jerking in there this else causes it to stretch fast meaning it gets lauder.

I suggest using ls2 dampner.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS7, LS9, LSA are equipped with a dampener, and I believe the bowtie 454 crate engine is as well... given the applications its used on I'd vote damper! lol
Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have asked this quesion before. The consenus was to use the LS2 Dampner.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:23 PM
74u
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
You can use it without it if you are willing to listen to the chain jerking in there this else causes it to stretch fast meaning it gets lauder.

I suggest using ls2 dampner.
Millions of SBC & early LS engines went without...obviously GM added it for a reason (decades later), but the damper isn't mandatory and certainly not a miracle for reducing engine noise.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not their to reduce noise, it's there to control chain harmonics and eliminate slapping, especially in high hp, hard shifted cars. The loading / unloading has a tendency to cause a lot of slapping and harmonics in the chain, which led to failures. Someone involved with the C5R program told me that they experienced broken chains early on when they were short shifting the cars at 4000-5000rpm and found it was related to engine harmonics in that region. That's why they added the bowtie dampner.

I ran it, and will run it in my future builds.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
It's not their to reduce noise, it's there to control chain harmonics and eliminate slapping, especially in high hp, hard shifted cars. The loading / unloading has a tendency to cause a lot of slapping and harmonics in the chain, which led to failures. Someone involved with the C5R program told me that they experienced broken chains early on when they were short shifting the cars at 4000-5000rpm and found it was related to engine harmonics in that region. That's why they added the bowtie dampner.

I ran it, and will run it in my future builds.
I get it, you disagree to agree that slapping and it's harmonics is what makes the noise whish else causes chain to stretch early and possibly brake in the case of single, doubles just stretch fast.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:17 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
I get it, you disagree to agree that slapping and it's harmonics is what makes the noise whish else causes chain to stretch early and possibly brake in the case of single, doubles just stretch fast.
I would venture to say that the engine would be louder with the dampner because you would hear the chain coming in contact with the dampner, hence why I stated that the benefit isn't to quiet down the engine noises, but to protect the chain from breaking. That was my thought process.

Quick Reply: Ls3 tensioner or ls2 dampner and why