Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Main/rod bearings, Timing set, break-in oil, Oil pump for 650hp

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main/rod bearings, Timing set, break-in oil, Oil pump for 650hp

Been out of the game for awhile.. all my knowledge is sbc. We used to use good clevite bearings, melling high volume pump with high pressure spring, Manley double roller timing chain.

Whats the hot setup for the LS engine? Forged bottom end so I need chamfered bearings. Recommendations on timing chain, oil pump (stock GM LS7?) and what is a good break-in oil?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Break-In Oil

My first choice AMSOIL Break-In Oil ( the only non Syn they make)
2nd choice Joe Gibbs Break-In Oil.
High quality Mineral Oils W/ at least 1250PPM ZDDP !!
Full Disclosure I am an AMSOIL Dealer/User since 1989, but also
I have heard nothing but Good things about Joe Gibbs Oil
And also believe in the Integrity of a Product he puts his name on!
Old 12-06-2014, 07:23 PM

I read somewhere to use Rotella diesel oil (dino)?

We used to Amalie/Kendall wayyy back in the day on break -in. Then dump and use Mobil1 or LE.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:47 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthernC5
Been out of the game for awhile.. all my knowledge is sbc. We used to use good clevite bearings, melling high volume pump with high pressure spring, Manley double roller timing chain.

Whats the hot setup for the LS engine? Forged bottom end so I need chamfered bearings. Recommendations on timing chain, oil pump (stock GM LS7?) and what is a good break-in oil?

Thanks!
Clevite's are good for the LS engines, but I haven't really used them in awhile since they are typically more expensive and the main bearings were always tight on #3. I don't know if that's changed or not. I've used ACL recently and have been pretty happy with their quality and cost. Federal Moguls/Speed Pro bearings are good as well.

I like Melling for the oil pump. Depending on your clearances and auxiliary components, you may be fine with the standard volume pump (10295), but the higher volume pumps are available too (10296 and 10355). The LS7 pump is a two stage pump for the dry sump engines with the longer crank snout, so they won't work for you unless you're using the appropriate pan, crank, etc.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by KCS
Clevite's are good for the LS engines, but I haven't really used them in awhile since they are typically more expensive and the main bearings were always tight on #3. I don't know if that's changed or not. I've used ACL recently and have been pretty happy with their quality and cost. Federal Moguls/Speed Pro bearings are good as well.

I like Melling for the oil pump. Depending on your clearances and auxiliary components, you may be fine with the standard volume pump (10295), but the higher volume pumps are available too (10296 and 10355). The LS7 pump is a two stage pump for the dry sump engines with the longer crank snout, so they won't work for you unless you're using the appropriate pan, crank, etc.
Sorry meant stock new GM LS6 oil pump not LS7

Quick Reply: Main/rod bearings, Timing set, break-in oil, Oil pump for 650hp