Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

HOSS LS7/T56 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015 | 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, I doubt it would, should get better airflow since I don't have the ac crap in front of it. But I guess well see.

I got it started Sunday, juss for about a minute though, I believe I have a o2 sensor problem. I forgot to order o2 extensions last week and long story short I soldered more wire into mine. Passenger side headers were all very hot within that little amount of time but drivers side you could actually touch but they were warm. I already ordered extensions and will get some new o2's this week and try again.
Old 05-05-2015 | 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WVhuggerSS
Thanks, I doubt it would, should get better airflow since I don't have the ac crap in front of it. But I guess well see.

I got it started Sunday, juss for about a minute though, I believe I have a o2 sensor problem. I forgot to order o2 extensions last week and long story short I soldered more wire into mine. Passenger side headers were all very hot within that little amount of time but drivers side you could actually touch but they were warm. I already ordered extensions and will get some new o2's this week and try again.
Your o2 shouldn't be reading at cold start anyways. So that will have zero to do with one header not being warm. Almost sounds like that sides not firing. I would double check that you have your coil packs plugged in, all your injectors, and your plug wires are all snapped into place good.

How did it sound? Like it was underwater or striggling?
Old 05-05-2015 | 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for your help as I really have no clue what im doing juss trying to learn as I go. Yeah didn't sound like it was supposed to really and I did go back and double check the plug ins on what you mentioned. There was really only one coilpack that snapped on a little better on the drivers rear one. Ill double check again though. Would one throw it off that much?
Old 05-05-2015 | 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck with the car, this thing looks sick!
Old 05-06-2015 | 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for your help as I really have no clue what im doing juss trying to learn as I go. Yeah didn't sound like it was supposed to really and I did go back and double check the plug ins on what you mentioned. There was really only one coilpack that snapped on a little better on the drivers rear one. Ill double check again though. Would one throw it off that much?
Meh. Is this the first time the car has had an ls2 conversion kit on it? Almost sounds like the notorious cam sensor wires being backwards.
Old 05-06-2015 | 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

No in the last car it was setup the same way. I bought the harness that goes from the back and runs to the front, what wires can be crossed? Juss trying to figure out some possible causes before I try it again this weekend. I need to put the rest of the exhaust on it so I can here myself think this time.
Old 05-06-2015 | 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

The cam sensor harness can have some crossed wires. Do a search about it. I don't remember exactly which ones to check.
Old 05-06-2015 | 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Okay thanks will do, ill look it up and see what I come up with.
Old 05-06-2015 | 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks great!
Old 05-07-2015 | 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

I looked up what you said and it sonuss exactly what mine was doing, id almost bet those wires are crossed on that harness. IM going to look later on today and see, if thats what it is then well try and fire it up again this weekend.

Thanks for looking everyone and all the help is appreciated.
Old 05-07-2015 | 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

I looked up what you said and it sonuss exactly what mine was doing, id almost bet those wires are crossed on that harness. IM going to look later on today and see, if thats what it is then well try and fire it up again this weekend.

Thanks for looking everyone and all the help is appreciated.
No problem. Hope that's it. I've been there myself😎
Old 05-07-2015 | 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Really cant thank you enough, I went over in the garage a little bit ago and looked and the two outside wires are crossed. I never wouldve thought to look at that but im glad I found my issue.
Old 05-21-2015 | 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Well I switched the cam sensor wires and figured it fixed my problem. It did clear the cam sensor code but its still running like crap. I pulled the plugs and two cylinders the spark plugs looked new but smelled like fuel. I checked for spark on those two cylinders and they did spark. Maybe its not a strong enough spark? Any ideas?
Old 05-21-2015 | 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Name:  20150520_122020_zpsnifbcbf1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  293.1 KB

Name:  20150520_122026_zpsaeff3ocb.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  297.7 KB
Old 05-21-2015 | 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

You sir, have a super cool car. What else could you want? Hugger Orange, 6 spd, 427" LS engine, Wow that's an awesome combo there. I feel for you on the first startup issues. I ran into several issues on my LSX 427" build up and install.

I had they same exact symptoms on my engine swap a couple of months ago, except mine was on the passenger side. I did a coil relocation using the Proform valve covers with their brackets that relocate the coils between the valve covers and fuel rail.

I had taken my coil harnesses out of the factory black plastic encasements and wound up accidentally plugging my passenger side harness onto the coils in reverse order. The main plug for the short harness is dummy proof and only plugs in one way. But, you can twist the harness around and plug the coil connections onto the wrong coils throwing the firing order out of whack! ( just ask me how I know )

Do your self a favor if yours are easy to get to and disconnect, unplug them and reverse the order and see if those 2 cylinders will get fire and make those header tubes get hot! Just a suggestion, like I said mine showed the exact same condition. Two header tubes would get hot and the other two would be barely warm and the plugs looked brand new like yours , but were fuel soaked.

Oh! My " Casper Electronics " cam sensor & knock sensor extension harness was giving me issues as well. I had to swap the two outside wires to help solve my random hard start issue. Would fire right up half the time, and would have to " hunt " to re-learn the compression stroke half the time. Swapped the two wires and started firing up the first time every time after that. Crazy how that has been an issue for quite a few people doing the "LS2" front cover conversion.

Last edited by floman; 05-21-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2015 | 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for looking and giving me ideas, it means alot. Im going to be pretty excited when I get to drive it and have some fun with it.

Yeah I know its probably something silly thats causing my issues juss trying to figure out what. Like you say there's alot of stuff extra to think about like the cam sensor wires being crossed and putting different coils on it and coil harness lol. Juss teying to get it figured out but you have a good point on the coil harness. I was wondering about that today if that had to be on a certain way. We actually switched that the other day and seemed worse so I could have them plugged in upside down backwards lol. Ill look at my dads 2010 Camaro tomorrow and see exactly the way they need to be plugged in and go look at mine bc they probably are wrong.
Old 05-22-2015 | 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

I would slap a new set of plugs in it and run it.
Old 05-27-2015 | 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Looking good man! Hope you figure it out soon,I wanna see it out at LSFest, I'll have both the Hugger, and SOM car out there hopefully!
Old 05-28-2015 | 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Haha yeah im getting there, ill definitely make it to that though. Ive been a little busy the last week but I made sure I had the coil harness right and put new plugs in it. I bought a new cam sensor as well. I got my hp tuners in and installed on my laptop. Ive been watching some how to videos and trying to get familiar with it before I start it again.
Old 06-11-2015 | 07:27 AM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member

Have the small issues figured out yet?

Quick Reply: HOSS LS7/T56 Build Thread