Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2009 g8 gt cam advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 g8 gt cam advice

i have a high mileage G8Gt(135k). I have a lifter issues that the dealer wont help me with.
i'm not the original owner. its my daily driver. its very well cared for.

would you invest in a mild cam/DOD delete. likely change the oil pump. and wobbly pulley also.

it does not have headers. only an intake and superchips tuner. i want to keep the car as long as i can.

any input would greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to replace lifters anyway, I would do a cam for sure. Even if you go really mild like a hotter stock grind (LS7-LS9 cams), or a mild custom grind like a 218/230 112+2 you will pick up quite a bit of power even on stock heads and manifolds.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Launching!

I would highly recommend a DOD delete. I'm unsure about the oil pan though, I know you'll need a valley cover and oil pan. The DoD uses a high volume pump with a pressure valve in the pan. I would recommend doing some G8 forum research on that.

Great engine though, thats what I started with to build my twin setup.

Last edited by toytech93; 02-10-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Launching!

If I remember correctly Livernois stage 1C cam was designed for a G8 with the stock converter. A high quality kit all in one box and your done !

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...ail-Order.html
Old 02-10-2015, 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WH2009G8GT
i have a high mileage G8Gt(135k). I have a lifter issues that the dealer wont help me with.
i'm not the original owner. its my daily driver. its very well cared for.

would you invest in a mild cam/DOD delete. likely change the oil pump. and wobbly pulley also.

it does not have headers. only an intake and superchips tuner. i want to keep the car as long as i can.

any input would greatly appreciated.
If you plan on keeping the car and enjoying it for years to come we would recommend a tasteful driveable camshaft with excellent street manners.
Thanks to " toytech93" for the shout out.
With those miles on the engine we would recommend a timing chain and a high volume oil pump. We offer the most complete DOD kit on the market and we can even send you out our remote tuning hardware to get you dialed in.(this is supporting mod dependent, as we can only remote tune packages that we support)
The 1C camshaft has near stock driveability

Last edited by LivernoisMotorsports; 02-11-2015 at 09:34 AM. Reason: CHANGE
Old 02-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Teching In

^ on the livernois cam packages, does that price include tuning? Do I need to also purchase the tuning cable and software?

Last edited by WH2009G8GT; 02-16-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

^ on the livernois cam packages, does that price include tuning? Do I need to also purchase the tuning cable and software?

That's the beauty of what we do we can offer you options.
We can send you out everything you need to do the install tuning included. At a minimum you would require a DOD delete kit from us as well as our MyCal GM tuner.(this includes all components required) Depending on the camshaft selection and the freight priority your total will vary slightly.

This is the most complete DOD kit on the market with all premuim components.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...ail-Order.html

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...-G8-Tuner.html

This package has optional Roto-Fab cold air and the 1C "stealth" camshaft. Our most like O.E. drive ability camshaft. This can be substituted for any of the camshafts we offer as a standard. Then we have the MyCal GM tuning device. This is a simple flash tune device that plugs into the OBDII port.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:53 AM
Teching In

almost done with my cam swap. i should be starting it up this weekend. learned a ton about doing this. went with the 2c cam kit and their handheld tuner. not sure what to expect. i might need a converter but after doing this I am no longer afraid anything!

Steve from Livernois has been very helpful with email questions.

i needed a few tools that slowed me down. and i had the heads cleaned up and valves put together by a local shop. getting the crank pulley ON... i needed the Hawk tool. nothing would work for me. the cam sprocket was tricky also. the exhaust system pulled back enough to make bolting the ex manifolds back up a pain...but i got it done.
it was alot of work and i replaced a bunch of parts(tensioners/belts/oil pump/alternator).
two exhaust manifold bolts needed to be helicoiled, broke so easy taking them out. this was my first time doing a cam. i could do it so much faster now.

wish me luck.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

almost done with my cam swap. i should be starting it up this weekend. learned a ton about doing this. went with the 2c cam kit and their handheld tuner. not sure what to expect. i might need a converter but after doing this I am no longer afraid anything!

Steve from Livernois has been very helpful with email questions.

i needed a few tools that slowed me down. and i had the heads cleaned up and valves put together by a local shop. getting the crank pulley ON... i needed the Hawk tool. nothing would work for me. the cam sprocket was tricky also. the exhaust system pulled back enough to make bolting the ex manifolds back up a pain...but i got it done.
it was alot of work and i replaced a bunch of parts(tensioners/belts/oil pump/alternator).
two exhaust manifold bolts needed to be helicoiled, broke so easy taking them out. this was my first time doing a cam. i could do it so much faster now.

wish me luck.
Glad to see all is coming to a state of completion.
The exhaust bolts are generally a fight on just about any platform.
Mr. Steve is one of many vary skilled and extremely helpful people here at Livernois Motorsports.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Teching In

done. running strong. i returned the rental car.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

done. running strong. i returned the rental car.
Glad to hear. Enjoy the the new "stick" and the fun that will ensue.

Quick Reply: 2009 g8 gt cam advice