Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Removing DOD from an LH6. Cam questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing DOD from an LH6. Cam questions.

Ok, newb here and my first post is a question...of course. I just had a lifter collapse at 85k miles. Vehicle is a 2006 9-7x. I was going to have the DOD tuned out before this happened, but Murphy is my homie. Left with the option of replacing the DOD lifters or removing the system altogether, I am thinking that removing is the best way to go so I don't have to worry about tearing it apart again. I know all of the basics but I am new to this kind of modification and not sure which direction to go with the cam. I want to keep close to stock specs so that I can keep as many of the original components as possible. Budget is also very important right now. Most have either more or less lift, but similar duration. How much more becomes dangerous to stock components? How much less robs useful horsepower to a noticeable extent?

Edit: The more i read the more questions I answer for myself. Didn't realize there is so much science behind all the different components. This is going to be a fun learning exercise. There is also a comprehensive stock cam swap test I found showing the LQ4/LQ9 as the best stock cam for the 5.3.

The stock lift for my cam as far as I've found is .481/.481 on the non-dod cylinders and .491/.491 on the dod cylinders...both intake and exhaust. I assume .481/.481 is my point of reference for the swap.

So if, for example, I pull an LQ4 cam that has .467/.479...is that going to hurt my performance enough to regret it? Or if I pull from say a TBSS with .525/.525, how much more do I need to replace to keep it running well?

Last edited by smitty5150; 04-29-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam in LH6

I have a 2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3l afm lifter collapsed and wanting to replace stock cam with this low stage 2 truck cam 212/218 .550/.550 113 LSA 5.3L also adding 1.8 yella terra rockers will there be enough PTV clearance. will also be adding ls7 lifters. Vehicle is completely stock.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty5150
Ok, newb here and my first post is a question...of course. I just had a lifter collapse at 85k miles. Vehicle is a 2006 9-7x. I was going to have the DOD tuned out before this happened, but Murphy is my homie. Left with the option of replacing the DOD lifters or removing the system altogether, I am thinking that removing is the best way to go so I don't have to worry about tearing it apart again. I know all of the basics but I am new to this kind of modification and not sure which direction to go with the cam. I want to keep close to stock specs so that I can keep as many of the original components as possible. Budget is also very important right now. Most have either more or less lift, but similar duration. How much more becomes dangerous to stock components? How much less robs useful horsepower to a noticeable extent?

Edit: The more i read the more questions I answer for myself. Didn't realize there is so much science behind all the different components. This is going to be a fun learning exercise. There is also a comprehensive stock cam swap test I found showing the LQ4/LQ9 as the best stock cam for the 5.3.

The stock lift for my cam as far as I've found is .481/.481 on the non-dod cylinders and .491/.491 on the dod cylinders...both intake and exhaust. I assume .481/.481 is my point of reference for the swap.
So if, for example, I pull an LQ4 cam that has .467/.479...is that going to hurt my performance enough to regret it? Or if I pull from say a TBSS with .525/.525, how much more do I need to replace to keep it running well?
You won't notice much of a differenct with the LQ4 cam. A good budget option that will increase power/tq is to get a used low mileage cam from either an LS3 or LS2. You can find them used on forums. You will need LS7 lifters, an LS2/LS3 valley cover, and valve springs. LS3 valve springs are about $60 for a set and you can sometimes get those used as well. New head gaskets, and other assorted gaskets. You may need a different length set of pushrods as well.

Quick Reply: Removing DOD from an LH6. Cam questions.