Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2007 Yukon Denali AWD 6.2L L92 4L80E Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Yukon Denali AWD 6.2L L92 4L80E Build

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, but no stranger to the performance world. I've been driving high horsepower diesels for the past 5 years, and the diesel community has just gotten out of hand, so I'm bailing out. I have no use for one these days, anyways. Been looking at used Denalis with 80k-120k miles, under $25k. Looking to do a small build to give me the performance I need, without breaking the bank. I will be looking for the best "bang for the buck."

1. Cam. I am undecided here. I want an aggressive cam, but I'm not sure how it will hurt streetability. I've heard the 6.2L can get away with a more aggressive cam. I'm wanting as much power as possible, and I do love a great sounding lop. I'm also debating a VVT cam, or performing a VVT delete and selecting a normal cam. Higher stall is a possibility. See below for high stall converter.

2. Tune. I am going with BlackBear Tuning. I feel like they are the best in the business, here.

3. Headers and Y Pipe. Thinking of going with Speed Engineering's long tube headers. The factory exhaust will be retained, but I will be adding an electric exhaust cutout. I may add a Y-pipe as well, but I am unsure of the gains with it. I do not understand the purpose of a Y-pipe, or if it is necessary to run long tubes with the factory exhaust. Where are the cats located on these trucks?

4. High Stall Converter and TM. Is an upgraded converter necessary? I've heard that these transmissions can be sketchy without Torque Management. I'm not sure that I even want to remove it. I want to be able to have fun with my vehicle. It will probably have a few track passed, after its finished. But for the most part, I am very easy on my vehicles. I looked at RevMatch's Stage 5 converter, which supposedly holds 1,500 HP. I've also heard that a properly matched cam and high stall converter can create massive gains, which is what I'm after. However, this will still be a daily driver, and I don't want to make it a pain to drive. I want a properly matched converter with an aggressive cam, to maximize my performance potential, without making it unstreetable.

5. Valve Springs. Are they necessary? What gains are to be had with them?

6. Intake and Throttle Body. I'll be going with the S&B intake and scoop, as they've always been above and beyond the competition, IMO. I have no clue about throttle bodies and spacers, so maybe someone can educate me.

7. E85. Can these motors run 100% E85? I have access to it, and I've used it in several of my past builds. If so, I'll be running it for all occasions. If not, please advise where I can find a conversion kit.

8. AFM. Do these motors have Active Fuel Management? I've heard 2 different answers. If so, can it be tuned out?

9. Exhaust. Is there any performance exhaust systems quieter than factory? If not, I'll just stick with factory and a cutout. I will probably add an additional high flow muffler to the factory system, to retain ultimate silence.

10. Any products I'm leaving out that are must-haves?

I am open to all suggestions and advise. I am very new to this side of the performance world, and I still have a lot of learning to do. That being said, I would really appreciate if someone could help and/or educate me more about this build. I really appreciate any help at all! Thank you in advance.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome bro. I am still in the diesel world, but just the basics: DPF delete, exhaust and EFILIVE with 5dsp.

I can't answer all your questions but I can take a stab at a few then the experts will chime in.

I have seen quite a few Denali's and Escalades with the L92/6l trans for sub $15k with high miles.

Coming from the diesel world I can tell you, the torque you crave will not be there off the line. I addressed that problem in my Chevelle by bolting on a supercharger from a CTS-V. That is an option for you as well.
If you like E85 then you can crank up the boost with a smaller pulley and with the E38 ECM, incorporate a flex fuel sensor as well for those spirited runs. You may not even need a stall with an LS3 cam and boost.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kainedogg
Welcome bro. I am still in the diesel world, but just the basics: DPF delete, exhaust and EFILIVE with 5dsp.

I can't answer all your questions but I can take a stab at a few then the experts will chime in.

I have seen quite a few Denali's and Escalades with the L92/6l trans for sub $15k with high miles.

Coming from the diesel world I can tell you, the torque you crave will not be there off the line. I addressed that problem in my Chevelle by bolting on a supercharger from a CTS-V. That is an option for you as well.
If you like E85 then you can crank up the boost with a smaller pulley and with the E38 ECM, incorporate a flex fuel sensor as well for those spirited runs. You may not even need a stall with an LS3 cam and boost.
I'm not sure that I want to boost it just yet... I'm not sure that the stock trans would be able to hold it, especially with it being an AWD SUV. It's a possibility in the future, but not just yet. Without a stall, I'm only spending around $2k in parts, and that's fine by me.

Quick Reply: 2007 Yukon Denali AWD 6.2L L92 4L80E Build