Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help me plz I have a big problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me plz I have a big problem

Someone plz help me I'm am so confused at why my coolant is this brownish color can someone plz help me out? Is this oil and coolant mixing together? If so where might it be from?
Attached Thumbnails Help me plz I have a big problem-photo962.jpg  
Old 06-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could just be rusty. Car coolant systems are ment to be used with a mixture of coolant and water. Only having water does a few things car gets hotter faster, more water evaporates and u can have some rusting. If it was me I would flush it out very simple to do and if it's time to change you oil and something was wrong I bet there will be water in ur oil if there is oil in your water. I still leaning more towards rusty water, does you car get hot?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this an LS engine? If it has oil in the cooling system the radiator cap in your picture the rubber will be all swelled up, which it doesn't appear to be, the radiator hoses will be very soft. If the engine oil is mixed with coolant, will be a milkey color in the oil pan. Otherwise to me looks like rust/corrosion.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:13 AM

@mikez28 yea my car still warms up to normal temperature I also notice that the light for the coolant is on you know the red light icon in the dash
Old 06-15-2015, 09:14 AM

@fraser yes my hoses are very soft so it must not be oil right?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001mikez28
It could just be rusty. Car coolant systems are ment to be used with a mixture of coolant and water. Only having water does a few things car gets hotter faster, more water evaporates and u can have some rusting.
I'm not sure where you got the information but it is not correct. Straight water actually cools better than a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. Antifreeze is used as a lubricant and of course to keep the water from freezing and raising the boiling point. Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) by itself is not nearly as efficient at transferring heat as pure water so that is why it is recommended to use a 50/50 mix. If you are in an area that does not see freezing temps you would be better off running straight water and a lubricant.

As far as water evaporating..... Cooling systems are a closed system and should not evaporate any water. If yours is then you have a leak somewhere.

Antifreeze does go bad and should be changed periodically.

Quick Reply: Help me plz I have a big problem