Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Possibly upgrading to Gen IV, have ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly upgrading to Gen IV, have ???

So I currently have a '99 LR4 in my '92 s10 and this winter I'm wanting to upgrade the engine (drop in a "new" one instead of having the truck down while rebuilding)

And after the fiasco with Knock sensors on both mine and my dad's engines (both LR4) I want to get away from the valley mounted sensors.

So I'm looking at switching to a LY2 and I have a few questions.

1. If I switch the reluctor wheel on the crank to a x24 will a gen III pcm work with everything else like the gen IV knock sensors and what not?
(before you ask, I want to keep my DBC so I need the older PCM)

2.what exactly was different between the van and truck LY2 that made them lose nearly 20hp in the van? just the tune, airbox and exhaust I guessing?

3. Lastly... the oil pressure sending unit looks like it further forward on the valley cover, no the block.. will a standard LS1/6 intake clear that or would I need aftermarket like FAST?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Vonrottes;18848270]So I currently have a '99 LR4 in my '92 s10 and this winter I'm wanting to upgrade the engine (drop in a "new" one instead of having the truck down while rebuilding)

And after the fiasco with Knock sensors on both mine and my dad's engines (both LR4) I want to get away from the valley mounted sensors.

1. If I switch the reluctor wheel on the crank to a x24 will a gen III pcm work with everything else like the gen IV knock sensors and what not?
(before you ask, I want to keep my DBC so I need the older PCM)
The only way you can use gen4 knock sensors with a gen3 pcm is if you get an 02-newer pcm. In the Gen3 Fbody pcm you have to select flat response knock sensor, that's the type the gen4s use. Or you can drill & tap the side of the block & install the older style resonant sensors.
2.what exactly was different between the van and truck LY2 that made them lose nearly 20hp in the van? just the tune, airbox and exhaust I guessing?

3. Lastly... the oil pressure sending unit looks like it further forward on the valley cover, no the block.. will a standard LS1/6 intake clear that or would I need aftermarket like FAST?
The LS6 intake should clear, its in the same location just goes into the valley cover as it extends further back where the LS1 sensor would be.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=flintwrench69;18848323]
Originally Posted by Vonrottes
So I currently have a '99 LR4 in my '92 s10 and this winter I'm wanting to upgrade the engine (drop in a "new" one instead of having the truck down while rebuilding)

The only way you can use gen4 knock sensors with a gen3 pcm is if you get an 02-newer pcm. In the Gen3 Fbody pcm you have to select flat response knock sensor, that's the type the gen4s use. Or you can drill & tap the side of the block & install the older style resonant sensors.

The LS6 intake should clear, its in the same location just goes into the valley cover as it extends further back where the LS1 sensor would be.
Right the 0411 or newer with a green plug.

I thought I had read that somewhere but I wasn't sure.

Thansk for the help

Quick Reply: Possibly upgrading to Gen IV, have ???