Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Wet sump limits

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wet sump limits

My 416 ls3, melling pump, and fbody pan with improved racing baffle has been running great for 2 seasons now. 45 oil psi at idle during cold start, 30-35 psi at idle when hot, 50+ psi during a pass. Once it started doing wheelies, I overfilled the pan to where others on this forum said they had success and it helped. But now that I'm giving it more nitrous and making quicker, more aggressive passes, the oil psi is dropping off. During wheelies I see it temporarily drop under 30 psi then attempt to climb back up. In higher gear with the front end down, it is only making 40 psi under full throttle. That worries me and I think it should be above 50. I believe the oil pump itself is working because it builds and holds 55 psi when on the 2 step and cruising on the return road partial throttle it holds 45 psi. Is the car just pulling too hard under full throttle for the stock style wet sump to keep up?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

I forget the exact number of quarts I'm using, I marked it on the dip stick over a year ago. I believe its 6.5 quarts
Old 08-12-2015, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What Melling pump are you using?

You will probably need to add an Accusump at this point to maintain pressure during passes. If you don't have an oil cooler you can plumb it with this kit: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-ac...8an-p-425.html

If you do have an oil cooler, tee it into the oil cooler return line.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

Any one else use one of these to fix the problem I described? I don't need to prime the motor, or use it during start up, only during a pass. Can it be wired to my nitrous arm switch that I put on before I stage? Does that give it enough time to build pressure?
Old 08-13-2015, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 4drSupraT78
Any one else use one of these to fix the problem I described? I don't need to prime the motor, or use it during start up, only during a pass. Can it be wired to my nitrous arm switch that I put on before I stage? Does that give it enough time to build pressure?
If you wire it using an Accusump EPC valve, it will only activate when pressure drops below the set pressure, which is the ideal behavior.

I'd recommend the 3 quart unit if you can fit it.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 08-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

I understand it will activate when the pressure drops below a certain point, but where does the pressure come from? Doesn't the accusump only hold as much pressure as the pump produces? So lets say it's wired to ignition, I start the car and pull in the water box, do a burn out at let's say 50 oil psi, then stage the car, 2 step, and then launch. Will the accusump have enough pressure built up from the burn out and 2 step to maintain 50+ psi the entire run?
Old 08-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

I just got off the phone with canton. Unfortunately the accusump will only fix half of my problem. When the oil psi dips below 37 psi the accusump will replenish the system and maintain 37 psi. So for the launch, that works great.

However, once the oil psi goes above 37 the accusump will stop assisting. In my case, the motor makes 40 psi under full throttle in high gear and the accusump won't help it make any more than that.

I am going to try and modify my fbody pick up tube to suck up oil further back in the pan. I know no one commented on this, but I figured I would post this info for the tech readers.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Schumannns pump from Car Shop Inc and a moroso pan. The pickup needs to be in the back of the pan and extra oil in the sump is never a bad thing. Over filling a stock pan the crank ends up in the oil.

Mine never had dips on leave with 1.27 60' and no accsump.

Tim

Quick Reply: Wet sump limits