Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New build stroked/sleeved 427 ls3/7 combo DYNO NUMBERS ARE IN!!! CHECK LAST PAGE

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still going hydraulic at this point.. tested a sr on the 441 and only picked 15 hp on the big end compared to the hr
Old 09-18-2015, 06:56 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Strokedcamaroz28
these are the valves brodix uses with the br7 sts 273 im not putting a bigger valve in the head
The build is looking good!

I realize those are the valve sizes straight from Brodix, I was just commenting on the sizes because I have a set of heads that are a little tight between the valves as well. I was a little worried, but you have about as much room between the valves and you're planning on hitting it with nitrous. Makes me feel better haha.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't even know about what sort of cam this thing is going to need, but I bet it's huge, like 26x/28x @ .050"... Cubes, compression, and laughing gas all require some cam.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did it cost to sleeve the LS3 block?
Also, would this option hold the same power as an iron block
Old 09-18-2015, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SydwayZ
How much did it cost to sleeve the LS3 block?
Also, would this option hold the same power as an iron block
thats the idea....iron sleeves with a light weight block... it was part of a package deal so im not sure how much the sleeving was individually
Old 09-18-2015, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
The build is looking good!

I realize those are the valve sizes straight from Brodix, I was just commenting on the sizes because I have a set of heads that are a little tight between the valves as well. I was a little worried, but you have about as much room between the valves and you're planning on hitting it with nitrous. Makes me feel better haha.

yea im maxing this thing out so not much room for forgiveness lol
Old 09-20-2015, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
4.125 gives you power adder problems. On bore, I wouldn't go past 4.155, head gaskets too thin between cylinders

Its not so much the narrow gap between the cylinder bore's that creates issues its the gap between the sleeves that's the leak path.

Looking at the picture of Stroked's engine block, in my opinion if he does not clean and fill these gaps with something like Locktite's 2 pot epoxy and then scrape them level with the top of the cylinders I can almost guarantee he will have water leak or worse, no matter if he stays with a 4.125" bore or were to go larger in the future. Take it from me I have been there and had to spend a lot of time and money learning how to fix the issue.

I posted a separate thread on this issue along with photo's etc showing our elaborate testing procedures in order to identify the source of the head gasket leaks. From Memory I think it was titled "Help water in my oil".

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Its not so much the narrow gap between the cylinder bore's that creates issues its the gap between the sleeves that's the leak path.

Looking at the picture of Stroked's engine block, in my opinion if he does not clean and fill these gaps with something like Locktite's 2 pot epoxy and then scrape them level with the top of the cylinders I can almost guarantee he will have water leak or worse, no matter if he stays with a 4.125" bore or were to go larger in the future. Take it from me I have been there and had to spend a lot of time and money learning how to fix the issue.

I posted a separate thread on this issue along with photo's etc showing our elaborate testing procedures in order to identify the source of the head gasket leaks. From Memory I think it was titled "Help water in my oil".

Cheers,

Mark.

i respect your advice however from everything i have researched including calling rhs, brodix, la sleeve company and darton sleeve company the slits are needed inbetween the cylinders(especially with it being an aluminum block) because if and when the block flexes if there is no gap the walls will press against each other and can cause them to crack..... we have two rhs blocks at the shop both came with the gaps from rhs.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i respect your advice however from everything i have researched including calling rhs, brodix, la sleeve company and darton sleeve company the slits are needed inbetween the cylinders(especially with it being an aluminum block) because if and when the block flexes if there is no gap the walls will press against each other and can cause them to crack..... we have two rhs blocks at the shop both came with the gaps from rhs.
I agree. I have at least a dozen buddies with RED resleeved blocks and none of them needed epoxy between the sleeves.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

I attached a photo of one of my sleeved blocks so you can see how the sleeves should be installed. No one at Darton told you there has to be a gap between the sleeves. They have customers call me for tech data.
Darton sleeves are made across the flats so the max. gap will be .004" if the adjacent sleeves are at minimum spec. Typical gap distance is one to two thou.

Anyone telling you that a gap like that is OK doesn't know what they are talking about. Listen to what Mark is telling you about filling the gaps.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails New build stroked/sleeved 427 ls3/7 combo DYNO NUMBERS ARE IN!!! CHECK LAST PAGE-dscn3870.jpg  
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 09-21-2015, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
I attached a photo of one of my sleeved blocks so you can see how the sleeves should be installed. No one at Darton told you there has to be a gap between the sleeves. They have customers call me for tech data.
Darton sleeves are made across the flats so the max. gap will be .004" if the adjacent sleeves are at minimum spec. Typical gap distance is one to two thou.

Anyone telling you that a gap like that is OK doesn't know what they are talking about. Listen to what Mark is telling you about filling the gaps.

Steve
lol come on now, please don't tell me who told me what... i respect every ones opinion and i have heard both sides of the spectrum including the reasons why and why there shouldnt be gaps.. all of the motors that the shop has done has gaps between the cylinder walls and not one has had a problem.. granted some sleeves have been from "la sleeve company"(im not sure how much of a difference sleeve brand matters) but from everything i have heard in regards to block flex i believe the gaps are indeed needed so that the cylinders dont press into each other and crack... im still open to having the discussion though... i think that each block is different depending on what your using.... just my 02....
Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Know It All
I agree. I have at least a dozen buddies with RED resleeved blocks and none of them needed epoxy between the sleeves.
hey Know It All are you agreeing with me that your friends had gaps between the cylinders and they didnt need epoxy? im asking because steve is saying his blocks dont come with gaps so now im confused....
Old 09-21-2015, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

KIWIKID, i read your article and while i see you did fill your gaps with epoxy that doesnt seem like that was your problem if i read it correct.. you had issues with the cometic gasket around the studs? so it seems you just filled the gaps as a precaution... please correct me if im wrong... were your gaps bigger then the ones in my block?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

hey Know It All are you agreeing with me that your friends had gaps between the cylinders and they didnt need epoxy? im asking because steve is saying his blocks dont come with gaps so now im confused....
I didn't look at their blocks that close so I can't comment about gaps, but I do know that they didn't need to fill in any gaps with epoxy. I'm only saying Steve knows what he's talking about and whatever he's doing works.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Darton sleeves

I attached a photo of a Darton sleeve that has been intentionally ovaled in a press for display to show how ductile and strong the material is. Darton ductile iron will bend quite a bit before it cracks.

The sleeves you have in that block do not appear to be Darton. If the sleeves were installed at 4.400" bore center line, the install would like like the photo I attached earlier, no noticeable gaps between the sleeves.

The newer RHS blocks do not have gaps between the sleeves by the way. I have one here I am repairing.

Steve

lol come on now, please don't tell me who told me what... i respect every ones opinion and i have heard both sides of the spectrum including the reasons why and why there shouldnt be gaps.. all of the motors that the shop has done has gaps between the cylinder walls and not one has had a problem.. granted some sleeves have been from "la sleeve company"(im not sure how much of a difference sleeve brand matters) but from everything i have heard in regards to block flex i believe the gaps are indeed needed so that the cylinders dont press into each other and crack... im still open to having the discussion though... i think that each block is different depending on what your using.... just my 02....
Attached Thumbnails New build stroked/sleeved 427 ls3/7 combo DYNO NUMBERS ARE IN!!! CHECK LAST PAGE-darton-sleeve-strength.jpg  
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 09-21-2015, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

I attached a photo of a Darton sleeve that has been intentionally ovaled in a press for display to show how ductile and strong the material is. Darton ductile iron will bend quite a bit before it cracks.

The sleeves you have in that block do not appear to be Darton. If the sleeves were installed at 4.400" bore center line, the install would like like the photo I attached earlier, no noticeable gaps between the sleeves.

The newer RHS blocks do not have gaps between the sleeves by the way. I have one here I am repairing.

Steve
some rhs blocks have gaps though correct.. the two that we have in the shop have gaps, i will try to post pics sometime today. you are correct the sleeves are from la sleeve company not darton. after talking with the shop this morning they went with la sleeve co. sleeves ...

can we agree that there is block flex and if there is no gap the sleeves can crack? i just called la sleeve company(who have been around for ages) again for conformation and spent a good 30 mins on the phone and they said that there absolutely needs to be a gap to offset gap flex..... rhs had the gaps in their blocks for the same reason im assuming, is the block you have with no gap an iron block? could that be a factor on why it has no gaps because its a stronger block that doesnt flex?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, interesting info. A new block is around $1500. How much is it to sleeve an LS3 block? (sleeves+labor) Is that space between the cylinders part of the water jacket?
Old 09-21-2015, 02:55 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
Wow, interesting info. A new block is around $1500. How much is it to sleeve an LS3 block? (sleeves+labor) Is that space between the cylinders part of the water jacket?
It's about $2k to sleeve a block. You can usually find the aluminum 5.3L blocks or cracked LS7 blocks for a lot cheaper than $1500 that would be good candidates for a resleeve.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Steve
My sleeved ERL block looked like Steves, no gaps between the liners
Old 09-21-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the ONLY companies to be considered for sleeving ls blocks is R.E.D. or ERL.

Quick Reply: New build stroked/sleeved 427 ls3/7 combo DYNO NUMBERS ARE IN!!! CHECK LAST PAGE