Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

how many use Dexcool or green fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many use Dexcool or green fluid?

So about 2 years ago i had to install a new waterpump in my wife's ta. (It started leaking where the topmost metal fitting conneceted to the housing). At that time i drained enough dexcool coolant and added more dexcool.
About a week ago, i was checking fluids and noticed the overflow reservoir was empty (the radiator was luckily still full and we had not had any overheating) i didnt see any dripping or puddleing so I got a compression tester and found the small leak coming from the bottom of the water pump. I was thinking the gasket went, but also was reading that our pumps have a weephole that identifies when the pump is going. So i plan to try to find my reciept and get a new water pump (under warranty) and obviously replace the gasket too. But as i was searching online this time around, i came across a thread about dexcool not being good... that it eats away gaskets and some other bad things. It sounded like a few people started changing to the green fluid. So im looking for advice if i should swith to green or keep withthe the dex cool. Also wondering how many have swithed to thr green antifreeze.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Old dexcool formula is long gone. It's just a brand name at this point for extended life coolant. I"ve had good luck with the prestone extended life stuff, and you can add it to anything.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

FYI if you have older orange Dex Cool in your system and you want to change to something else be sure to get the Dex completely out, don't mix other coolants with it. Remove your T-stat, turn on the hose and flush it until it's running clear, you want it out of your heater core etc.

Quick Reply: how many use Dexcool or green fluid?