Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Dyno results for 427 stroker with hydraulic cam 776 hp

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:54 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
I don't think the Brodix heads have bronze valve guides.....

KW
The photos suggest otherwise.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
The photos suggest otherwise.....
Mmph.....I suppose

KW
Old 12-14-2015, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCS
Damn that seems like a lot for stock rockers, even LS7 rockers which I'm assuming you're using. I wonder how long those bronze guides are gonna last.

Can't argue with the results though. That's really good power.
Comp trunion rocker upgrade for the win brother.

What's wrong with the guides?
Old 12-14-2015, 02:04 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by Strokedcamaroz28
Comp trunion rocker upgrade for the win brother.

What's wrong with the guides?
With the tip of the rocker designed like a rocking chair, it creates a lot of side loading on the valve and guide. It gets worse with increased lift as the nose of the rocker could dig into the valve tip at max lift. Bronze guides have been known to wear excessively quick with stock rockers, so powdered metal guides are often used of reduce the guide wear or roller tip rockers.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
With the tip of the rocker designed like a rocking chair, it creates a lot of side loading on the valve and guide. It gets worse with increased lift as the nose of the rocker could dig into the valve tip at max lift. Bronze guides have been known to wear excessively quick with stock rockers, so powdered metal guides are often used of reduce the guide wear or roller tip rockers.
Don't doubt ur knowledge at all. All I can say is what I've seen from shop cars. My car makes the least amount of power of all the shop cars and all of the shop cars are using Brodix heads, bronze guides and stock rockers with trunion upgrade with no issues. And spraying much bigger shots then me. 400+
Old 12-14-2015, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Pic straight from Brodix website. Shows heads with bronze guides on all heads
Old 12-14-2015, 02:43 PM
KCS

Don't doubt ur knowledge at all. All I can say is what I've seen from shop cars. My car makes the least amount of power of all the shop cars and all of the shop cars are using Brodix heads, bronze guides and stock rockers with trunion upgrade with no issues. And spraying much bigger shots then me. 400+
I'm not doubting it, I just find it interesting. LS7 rockers have a longer pivot lenght so they may be able to handle more lift than the other LS rockers. Brodix may have even machined the rocker stands to account for stock rockers with high lift as well. It's just an interesting combo I think.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

.....Pic straight from Brodix website. Shows heads with bronze guides on all heads
Worn bronze guides are a know 'issue' with the OEM LS7 head.

Originally Posted by KCS
....Brodix may have.......
Brodix must've done something to deal with this issue with their heads. I also find it interesting/surprising that they use bronze guides.

KW
Old 12-14-2015, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
I'm not doubting it, I just find it interesting. LS7 rockers have a longer pivot lenght so they may be able to handle more lift than the other LS rockers. Brodix may have even machined the rocker stands to account for stock rockers with high lift as well. It's just an interesting combo I think.
You know, throughout the years and my previous builds I have found that stick Gm parts are almost always just as strong as aftermarket (in certain catagories of course). For me at least , I have had more issues with certain aftermarket parts then I have with stock Gm parts. If that makes sense. Lol
Old 12-14-2015, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
Worn bronze guides are a know 'issue' with the OEM LS7 head.

Brodix must've done something to deal with this issue with their heads. I also find it interesting/surprising that they use bronze guides.

KW
From What I've heard any issues that were coming into play in street cars at around 25k. I'd be thrilled if my motor lasts for 25k miles lol. I'd take 10k of race miles lol
Old 12-14-2015, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with ls7 lifters because I've found stock Gm stuff especially newer ls stuff is almost always just as good if not better than after market stuff.
X2,
I use LS7's in mine also...seen 7500rpm in the lights a few times with .025 preload....congrats of the power, very impressive!
Old 12-14-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pic straight from Brodix website. Shows heads with bronze guides on all heads

Do you know the 2.204 x 5.2 8mm valve stem intake valve weight...very curious ... and maybe a lot to learn here on a valve train able to rev that high with NO valve float!!!

Christian
Old 12-14-2015, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Do you know the 2.204 x 5.2 8mm valve stem intake valve weight...very curious ... and maybe a lot to learn here on a valve train able to rev that high with NO valve float!!!

Christian
I'm sorry brotha I don't know that info. That's way above my pay grade. Lol. They are inconnel valves
Old 12-14-2015, 08:25 PM
KCS

I'm sorry brotha I don't know that info. That's way above my pay grade. Lol. They are inconnel valves
And inconel is HEAVY.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome build !!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
And inconel is HEAVY.
But it's top shelf quality lol
Old 12-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Banned

This point has absolutely nothing to do with the dyno numbers...

KCS is exactly right, if you understand the geometry involved in radius tip rockers you'll see that it's incredibly likely that those guides are going to wear incredibly fast. LS or not I've seen this dozens of other times in other motors utilizing radius tip rockers, one of which is a racing program of ours where the sanctioning body requires the use of stock rocker arms(rigid shaft mount radius tip)...it's understood that no matter how perfect the scrub pattern is set up, that due to the much higher life and thus wider scrub pattern with more side forces...the guides are going to wear out very quickly.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by machinistone
This point has absolutely nothing to do with the dyno numbers...

KCS is exactly right, if you understand the geometry involved in radius tip rockers you'll see that it's incredibly likely that those guides are going to wear incredibly fast. LS or not I've seen this dozens of other times in other motors utilizing radius tip rockers, one of which is a racing program of ours where the sanctioning body requires the use of stock rocker arms(rigid shaft mount radius tip)...it's understood that no matter how perfect the scrub pattern is set up, that due to the much higher life and thus wider scrub pattern with more side forces...the guides are going to wear out very quickly.
Listen, I'm sure you can find an issue with any motor ever built. Something can always be different or "better". I don't understand the geometry because I'm not interested in it on that level. If the guides wear out they will be replaced. This car runs one 1/4 mile at a time and 1k miles in 1/4 mile increments is years worth of racing for me. The build parts are quality from the oil pan to the intake. Whether they are stock rockers or bronze guides. It is what it is
Old 12-15-2015, 08:12 AM
KCS

Listen, I'm sure you can find an issue with any motor ever built. Something can always be different or "better". I don't understand the geometry because I'm not interested in it on that level. If the guides wear out they will be replaced. This car runs one 1/4 mile at a time and 1k miles in 1/4 mile increments is years worth of racing for me. The build parts are quality from the oil pan to the intake. Whether they are stock rockers or bronze guides. It is what it is
I think you have a pretty interesting build and I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates you sharing it.

As far as the rockers go, if you're not concerned about longevity, then I would think that they're a pretty good choice. With the valves probably being really heavy, the OEM rockers being as light as they are would help a great deal in keeping the valvetrain stable at the RPM you're turning.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
I think you have a pretty interesting build and I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates you sharing it.

As far as the rockers go, if you're not concerned about longevity, then I would think that they're a pretty good choice. With the valves probably being really heavy, the OEM rockers being as light as they are would help a great deal in keeping the valvetrain stable at the RPM you're turning.
What is your definition of "longevity"? I mean even to get to 500 miles would take a long time when I'm racing only right ? This is definitely a race only car. No street driven mailed at all. With that said I was focusing on the strongest parts I could buy writhing reason (price wise)

Quick Reply: Dyno results for 427 stroker with hydraulic cam 776 hp