Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls7 in a Kappa

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls7 in a Kappa

I am in the process of installing a crate Ls7 in a Pontiac Solstice. This engine has 2 oil drain plugs. The one that faces forward, I believe drains the oil bottle. The one that faces sideways, must drain the remaining oil in the pan. The Kappa chassis has two welded-in cross members. Unfortunately the rear one obstructs the side facing drain plug.

Can someone tell how much oil comes out of there when they change their oil? Making provisions to access that plug is going to be a big job I want to avoid. I would like to know if I could live with NEVER opening it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Are you talking about the dry sump ports?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Teching In

I guess so.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

There are 2 drain plugs as stated in the pan.... plus the 2 side by side ports for the oiling tank.

You need to be able to access both drain plugs.

If you plan to road race the car the motor it needs the Katech billet front cover style pump $750. Call them to see which one you should run. http://store.katechengines.com/high-...pump-p175.aspx

The stock LS7 pump has a thin front cover that deflects with higher pressures. On my motor above 5000rpm the oil pressure would hold 55.... but not increase. This is due to oil squeezing past the cover and literally squirting out and not making it into the gerator pump gears. This was only seen on a road course environment with the oil temps up after 20-30 mins of hard driving. On the street/drag/AutoX the stock stuff is fine.

If you need the adapter fittings for the oil pan to run your own -AN lines to a remote oil tank (ie Peterson etc) I have them. PM me with your contact info for pics.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Teching In

The oil hose connections from the bottle are clear and accessible. The problem is with the side drain plug on the oil pan. What I want know is how much oil comes out of there in an oil change. Most of the oil is in the remote bottle which is drained with the front facing, angled plug. Unless I cut the rear cross member and fabricate a loop piece under the side facing plug, I will not be able to reach the plug once the motor is laid in.

Can I live with what is left in the "dry" sump, when I change the oil? According to what i have read, the Ls7 uses 8 quarts. If I can drain 7.5 from the front plug, I can live with that. I have cars with distant oil coolers that in all likelihood leave quart in the system.

Last edited by JMartz; 12-14-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Ls7 in a Kappa